Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 12, 2018   #1
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Containers 2018

This season has had its own unique challenges with the cazy hot weather which started in May. Growing in containers means there has to be constant watering, and that has affected the taste.. so it seems.
My first ripe ones from my balcony were quite watery, although Pearly Pink Orange has been very tasty in previous years.
It has beem suggested that extra nutrients are needed to recover the flavor.

Cherry tomatoes have gone crazy in a good sense, but many larger fruit varieties have had unsuccesful pollination and fertilization, and the blossoms have just dropped off (despite shaking the plants and even using a toothbrush)
Some varieties are more affected than others.

Pink Tiger is going strong as well as some other grape/oval ones.

Lotos was the first large fruit which was ready to be eaten, it had good flavor in spite of BER. (so my 'taste guinea pig' told me..)

At least this year everything is relatively early ripening. Last year, it was raining all the season and tomatoes were hanging there and rotting..
Hope to post some pictures later.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote