Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 3, 2019   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The water tables are extremely important. and I am glad to see the rain for that reason. I too would rather see the ditches, creeks, rivers, and lakes full.

As a homeowner, gardener, and person who is at home most of the time - I'm tired of seeing all this rain since 2015. Our house and barns are turning green - it's that wet here. The raised beds I built two years ago need to be torn down because they are rotting. Being that we live out in the sticks and our septic system was built in 1993, we have lateral lines/a containment field. The rains are causing problems that are more than irritating.

As for the topic, The greenhouse plastic is definitely an idea worth looking into. I like the retractable part a lot. I did get inspired by the picture Sqwibb posted... It actually gave me a different idea that fits the different needs. I haven't seen a picture online to compare my idea to yet. I may have to build one, take pictures, and then explain it. It's supposed to warm up this weekend. I should be able to build one pretty quickly. (As long as my health agrees.)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2019   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here is a massive sinkhole that charges the Edwards Aquifer in Texas.
This one is near San Antonio.
How would you like to fall in that thing, you would never be seen again.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2019   #18
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

My Dutch iris bulbs that were in containers rotted from too much rain and too many days of lack of sun to dry out the soil. I should have been more diligent about bringing them under the shed when the weather turned foul and choosing a sunnier location in the yard in which to place the iris pots. I replant d with fresh bulbs but it's not an ideal time now.....supposedly too late.
Old May 14, 2019   #19
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Texans complaining about too much rain? Say it ain't so.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019   #20
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

According to CNN yesterday, 84% of the country is above normal in rain since May 2018 and only 3% is in drought which is much lower than usual.

I have way too much rain here in PA. The ground is totally saturated and water is just laying in big puddles in the farm fields.

Last year the May strawberry crop was an almost total loss and I'll bet that happens again this year. Last year I was able to buy one quart of local berries and then they were done.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019   #21
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
According to CNN yesterday, 84% of the country is above normal in rain since May 2018 and only 3% is in drought which is much lower than usual.

I have way too much rain here in PA. The ground is totally saturated and water is just laying in big puddles in the farm fields.

Last year the May strawberry crop was an almost total loss and I'll bet that happens again this year. Last year I was able to buy one quart of local berries and then they were done.
Same down here. Iffin it don't rain again til August, it wouldn't hurt my feelings....

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodloe View Post
Same down here. Iffin it don't rain again til August, it wouldn't hurt my feelings....
Agreed
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019   #23
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I should plant rice instead of tomatoes.
still looking for a bird with a twig in it's mouth........
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Be careful what you ask for when it comes to not wanting rain.
Where I live much of the drinking water comes from lakes.
Lakes are notorious for evaporating much of that water instead of it being used.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019   #25
Old School
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post

I hear you I didn't need to water at all last Summer here in PA. My tomatoes didn't start ripening until around the 7th of August, including the cherries. I planted a Reliance grape vine a few weeks ago. It was healthy when planted but died within a week. The leaves shriveled up and no more signs of life. It hasn't been below 38 degrees at night and the only other possibility I can think of is the Black Walnut trees nearby. There is a wild grape that grows vigorously each year within 20 feet of the new plant. My bet was too much rain
Old May 16, 2019   #26
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

It rains about 33% of all days in my country on average.

One place has rain 183 days a year average and almost 2000mm rain ( 80 inches )

That is about 50% of days it will rain there and 2000mm is ALOT
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2019   #27
Old School
Tomatovillian™

Wow xellos99, that is a lot of rain

Update on the grape vine, it may have just been the cold. It appears to be sending out new leaves and making a comeback. I'm still blaming it on the rain though, just like the song says

Oh, guess what? it's raining again today here in central PA. We have seen rain almost every day for past week and a half. Sometimes all day long drizzle
Old May 19, 2019   #28
righand
Tomatovillian™

Default Bucket Wrap

I wrap my buckets with a kitchen catcher and secure with black tape, no rain water or bug issues...cheers....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4175.jpg (662.2 KB, 48 views)
righand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019   #29
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
It rains about 33% of all days in my country on average.

One place has rain 183 days a year average and almost 2000mm rain ( 80 inches )

That is about 50% of days it will rain there and 2000mm is ALOT

According to the stats, we have 212 days per year with at least 0.2 mm precipitation. If you leave out snow days, the number drops to just 163 rainy days per year. Yay! Total rainfall per year a meager 1500 mm/ 60.4 inches, roughly. We rank the wettest city in Canada, so I'm glad to hear there is a rainier place somewhere!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019   #30
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Local weather dude said we had received 16" of rain the last 3 weeks, with nearly 10" of that the last 2 days. This too shall pass and it sure beats the alternative of severe drought IMO.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote