Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 15, 2019   #16
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Not sure about earth boxes, but I received three free grow boxes yesterday that have never been used. I actually logged on to see what people think of them and saw this thread. Any opinions? On first glance, that part that holds about 8" of mix looks shallow.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2019   #17
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
Not sure about earth boxes, but I received three free grow boxes yesterday that have never been used. I actually logged on to see what people think of them and saw this thread. Any opinions? On first glance, that part that holds about 8" of mix looks shallow.
I am not familiar with Grow Box, but I have "Patio Picker" or "City Picker" or something like that, and I like t for shallow rooted things like bush beans and zinnias.

I remember searching for comparisons a few years ago.

Here's a few

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/21...icker-planters

http://www.homegrown.org/profiles/bl...ght-bowl-so-it

https://www.treehugger.com/lawn-gard...gardening.html

Last edited by Shrinkrap; April 17, 2019 at 02:32 AM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2019   #18
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
I have 9 of them. They are far inferior to Earthboxes. Just the 2 piece system is inherently leak prone, the plastic gets brittle after a few years, they continuously get holes from the weed whacker, my Earthboxes have no leaks, are older and have no weed whacker holes. I am in the process of replacing them with Earthboxes, a few per year. And they are shallow, and smaller in general. Even that burlap cover system, meh! They only cost about $6 less, what on earth was I thinking?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #19
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input. I think I will use them for lighter feeding veggies like snacking peppers and broccoli due to the shallow design.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #20
peebee
Tomatovillian™

They would probably be great for strawberries too.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2022   #21
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

I had 2 of the original Earthboxes that my mother gave me at least 25 years ago. I finally had to retire them because the bottom grid was sagging badly and the sides had spread to the point that I needed large pieces of styrofoam to fill the gaps. My other Earthboxes are 10 - 20 years old when brown was the only color. As I recall, I would buy 3 at a time with shipping for $100. I am up to 18 now. I tried several cheap brands. They never last more than 3 years.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote