Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old January 26, 2017   #766
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
count me in to .im very greatful for you sharring your grafting techniques.i stll remember when it all started nobody had very much success till your breakthrough. i to tryed some mushrooms but got scaired when i read about inhaling mushroom spores
Charlie - Never got a chance to thank you for the seeds you sent us awhile back. Growing a few more varieties from that batch this year. As for mushrooms just wear a mask when your working in the SAB (Still air box). If you fruit them outdoors like we do then you don't really need to worry about spores. It's like hunting for mushrooms outdoors but in your backyard and you know its safe to eat.

BigVan - Have that DSLR ready you don't want to miss that moment when they start saying Mato for the first time or all the great times when you use your little one to show off them big matoes to tease your gardening friends.

Patti - Yeah I got the little one started on Algebra & Geometry. She is going to breeze through her school work. After watching that movie Hidden Figures shes all excited and wants me to teach her more advanced math. Why do i get the feeling i will have to start refreshing my math skills.

Not sure if i posted this Tomato video last year... If not here it is again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J-4muvS_i0
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #767
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Haha, that video is great. I think Jiana will be great with musical instruments as well.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #768
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Time to get some Peppers outdoors this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peppers1.jpg (133.2 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg peppers2.jpg (89.9 KB, 125 views)
Old March 15, 2017   #769
peebee
Tomatovillian™

So lush the tray in your hand looks like basil--what variety are you growing? Or should I ask, varieties as I am sure you have more than one.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #770
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Peebee - Each Cell in the tray is a different variety. Most of them are just different varieties of Bhut Jolokia (peach, black, red, yellow), T-scorpion (Yellow, red), Brainstrains, 7 pod etc the ones that most enthusiast pepper growers love growing. The ones that look stunted are the Black varieties (I've noticed that they are the slowest growing). A bit challenging to grow when compared to the other super hots. I try to cover all the different types of shapes and colors to have more variety. Plus when you give the extra harvests away they make great conversations just like tomatoes.

How is your garden this year Peebee?
Old March 15, 2017   #771
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Delerium:

Do you grow all your pepper and tomato seedlings in DE?

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #772
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Yes Jeff. I just have a big bag of DE (40 lbs) in the garage and pretty much use it for all seed starts. It sure has simplified my seed starting chores.
Old March 21, 2017   #773
peebee
Tomatovillian™

How is your garden this year Peebee?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for asking Delerium; sorry for my late reply but I was trying to figure out how to crop my pics so they aren't sideways here. Here's one, and it doesn't show all of my seedlings, but most. I have about 24 varieties, averaging 4-5 seedling each:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cropped pic.jpg (411.3 KB, 83 views)
Old March 22, 2017   #774
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Peebee your plants look and green. Nice work. It's raining here like crazy again in Central Valley.. The wind had me a bit worried yesterday but i think the plants survived. I need to get my tomato cages cleaned and placed around my plants hopefully by next weekend. Our plants are getting their first set of flowers.. So hopefully some signs of tomatoes soon.
Old March 24, 2017   #775
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
Peebee your plants look and green. Nice work. It's raining here like crazy again in Central Valley.. The wind had me a bit worried yesterday but i think the plants survived. I need to get my tomato cages cleaned and placed around my plants hopefully by next weekend. Our plants are getting their first set of flowers.. So hopefully some signs of tomatoes soon.
That is exciting. First tomatoes are always great news.

Raining, ha. Weird weather in your part of the world as well. Our winter temps were above average and now in March is opposite, below average.
Hopefully it will improve.

Old March 24, 2017   #776
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Oh yes crazy wet weather.. It's like we got dumped a whole bunch of rain for all the years we were in drought in like one week. We had a tornado warning in our area 2 days ago and.. man it dumped some serious ran and wind.. Hopefully this doesn't end up being a battle of the blights.. To many setbacks this year with my tomatoes - lost a bunch of plants to wind with the first rain/wind storms we got. Trying to get back on track. Only 24 plants this year just to make maintenance a little easier. All the plants are about this size and.. over watered by the rain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomato_plants.jpg (146.2 KB, 64 views)
Old March 25, 2017   #777
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Have you always mulched with what looks like wood shavings or is this something new you are experimenting with? How do you keep it down with all the wind you are experiencing? Anyways, it sure looks nice and fluffy, I feel like lying down and taking a nap on it!
Old March 25, 2017   #778
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

I've been using it for about 1-2 years now Peebee i would say. The previous mulch layer has broken down so i needed to put a new layer down this year. Since i grow mushrooms and dump a lot of my spent substrate in raised beds the woodshavings can be used for substrate which gives the fungi another food source to keep producing outdoors and serves a dual purpose as mulch. Sometimes we get Shiitake and Oyster mushrooms fruiting from the beds once the plants get large enough to shade the bed. So its a nice bonus.

Here is some cabbage we grew with the wood shavings last year. And some Shiitake fruiting from the tomato beds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabbage.jpg (82.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg shiitake.jpg (62.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg shiitake2.jpg (82.7 KB, 52 views)
Old March 25, 2017   #779
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Delerium, as always great ideas. Thank you for sharing them.
Did you grow king Oyster mushrooms? I remember you had different Oyster mushrooms, even pink looking like.
Which Oyster mushrooms are the best in your opinion?

I have cabbage seeds. Never tried to grow it. Maybe I should.

Old March 25, 2017   #780
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Yes we do grow King Oyster Mushrooms. They are pretty easy to clone and grow. The first picture are king oysters cloned from the grocery store. The 2nd variety was a culture that was given to us by a fb friend. I not sure if i posted these pictures here before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg king_oysters1.jpg (65.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg king_oysters2.jpg (97.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg king_oysters3.jpg (31.5 KB, 48 views)