Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 31, 2015   #31
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah no worries, its just if you made one I'm sure it'd be great. I do notice the off taste you reference. For me its a odd bitter after taste that lingers and makes me not want to eat anymore.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #32
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I am not sure that taste can be removed, without removing the "blue" (for some of us who are sensitive to it). But I am hopeful that one of the excellent breeders working on blues can make a blue tomato that I find just great (with no reservations). I am going to taste some new blue varieties at a variety trial in a few weeks, and I hear there are supposed to be some good Blue tomatoes included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Yeah no worries, its just if you made one I'm sure it'd be great. I do notice the off taste you reference. For me its a odd bitter after taste that lingers and makes me not want to eat anymore.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #33
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Good to know they are still working on some. They really help draw the eye to my cherry mixes but they also are the ones people most often want to taste first, which can hurt sales. I now steer them to others, like your Bumblebee varieties, but even then some insist on trying the blues first.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #34
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

There is lots of work in the "blue" area, because they are so fascinating. The new holy grail (in addition to OP Sungold).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Good to know they are still working on some. They really help draw the eye to my cherry mixes but they also are the ones people most often want to taste first, which can hurt sales. I now steer them to others, like your Bumblebee varieties, but even then some insist on trying the blues first.
Old August 1, 2015   #35
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I'm another that tastes an off whang with high anthocyanin tomatoes. I have one breeding line that is getting close to eliminating it. Time will tell if it is good enough to continue.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2015   #36
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

"off whang"? I love it when you guys get technical !��
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2015   #37
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
I'm another that tastes an off whang with high anthocyanin tomatoes.
"off whang"? I love it when you guys get technical...or is that Alabama dialect?
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2015   #38
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

In the interest of fairness -- everything that is wrong with Maglia Rosa.
Old September 11, 2015   #39
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Everything is true except for the "dense foliage" part, my plants are pretty bald. I like the variety so much I was looking to see if I could snip a few suckers to root and overwinter, no such luck, the plants are loaded with fruit, on every branch. No new flowers at this point.
Next year, I am going to use them to edge my tall raised beds, so they will be trailing down the sides, then the fruit would not have to have contact with soil, or need to be trellised. As they are so compact, I could also start them inside really early without getting too big to handle.

They are way more productive than Blush, or Pink or Green tiger, is it so for anyone else?
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2015   #40
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

NewWestGardener

They are more productive than the other artisan tomatoes, although Purple and Sunrise Bumblebee are pretty dang productive too -- probably about the same as MR.

I am also considering ways to grow Maglia Rosa so that it "hangs" over a rudimentary raised bed (to reduce soil contact, as you suggest)
Old September 11, 2015   #41
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Note: We now have fresh Maglia Rosa and Orange Jazz seed. The two varieties we are most excited about this year.
Old September 11, 2015   #42
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Fred, thanks for making this variety available, a truly great find. I planted them because I read this thread you posted.
Yes, Purple Bumblebee and Sunrise B.B. are also very productive, and their leaves remain green and lush still, they will be invited back next year. My Purple Bumblebee also throws out some mini beefsteaks, very cute, it is outstanding.
I bought the Artisan pack, so I got to try all of them.

Last edited by NewWestGardener; September 11, 2015 at 04:04 PM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2015   #43
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I really like the "mini-beefsteaks" of Purple Bumblebee too. Sunrise Bumblebee does the same, but not with as much frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
Fred, thanks for making this variety available, a truly great find. I planted them because I read this thread you posted.
Yes, Purple Bumblebee and Sunrise B.B. are also very productive, and their leaves remain green and lush still, they will be invited back next year. My Purple Bumblebee also throws out some mini beefsteaks, very cute, it is outstanding.
I bought the Artisan pack, so I got to try all of them.
Old October 14, 2015   #44
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Does it do well in the "always damp" conditions of an EarthBox? I plan to try one as a single plant in an EB next season.

I don't really understand the varying comments about foliage. Aside from differing opinions as to what is "sparse" and what is "dense," does it have his type of variability? Or maybe it has a strong response to fertilizers?

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2015   #45
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I think Maglia Rosa would be fine in an earth box, but you would really want to make sure that the fruits are picked at peak flavor, which would probably be much earlier than peak color in an earth box.

Maglia Rosa has "wispy" leaves which are typically correlated with sparse foliage and short internodes, which are typically associated with dense foliage. So, it isn't easy to neatly classify it into sparse or dense.