Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 26, 2017   #16
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Rosemary roots very easily. I had some foot long stems grow roots in a vase of water without trying to root them. They stayed green a long time until I noticed they were ready to grow rather than go into the compost. A nice surprise.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2017   #17
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Chives, Parsley, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary and Cilantro. Out of those five, I have no idea what Rosemary tastes like.

My interest in growing some herbs that can grow inside and outside comes from curiosity and wanting to grow plants during the dog days of summer - Also basically learning how to grow plants in containers.

When I mentioned this to my wife, she was and is still excited - for me, that is the reason I made this thread and asked for all of the advise.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2017   #18
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Rosemary is classic with roasted potatoes. It also goes great with most meats, especially Chicken, Pork and Lamb. It is an herb that does not break down and soften as much as most in cooking so I usually chop it up nice and fine. It has its own flavor to me, so its hard to describe. Pick one blade off a sprig at the store and taste it. They won't even notice, promise. Go to foodnetwork.com and search for rosemary potatoes and rosemary chicken recipes. It is a fairly strong herb, so if you don't like it, you won't want to use it.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Sue, between your (Post #18) and Worth's (Post #9) - I know where I'm going to plant Rosemary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary

It is a perennial. Rosmarinus officinalis - a fragrant evergreen - can withstand drought - plants can be in constant bloom in warm climates - Rosemary grows on friable loam soil with good drainage in an open, sunny position - It grows best in neutral to alkaline conditions (pH 7–7.8)

That is our gardens. Our PH is 6.7, but I know how to increase the alkaline.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; February 27, 2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old February 27, 2017   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like to make a brush out of rosemary and heat it in oil but not fry just heat.
If the rosemary is growing sticky this resin will infuse the oil.
Then use the brush to paint a pork roast or chicken while it is dry roasting.
Salt garlic powder black pepper and rosemary will make one of the best cuts of meat you have ever had in your life.
It is also one of the best ways to cook a pork roast or chicken in a BBQ pit without a bunch of smoke.
Use the infused oil to hot pan fry a cheap cut of meat steak in a skillet to no more than medium rare.
Eye of round does great like this cooked rare.
A good cheap brand of olive oil is the best choice.
EVO olive oil is a total waste to cook with at high heat.
Bay leaves and rosemary are the only two herbs I have and grow.

Another option is to take a pound of butter and slowly cook the water out of it and then let the solids caramelize a wee bit with the rosemary and black pepper in it at the end before you take it off the heat.

You dont want to overheat rosemary or cook it too long as it will cook off the aromatics in the risen.
Most herbs do best put in right at the end of the cooking process.
If done for to long or too high a heat it can bring out unsavory flavors.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #21
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

An old gardening book I have says that rosemary is grown as a hedge in the South of France and is thought to purify the air. Whether true or not it is a nice idea that crosses my mind when I brush against it in the garden bringing out its aroma.

Last edited by GrowingCoastal; February 27, 2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #22
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I wish I could over-winter rosemary in my climate. It would make an interesting high tunnel project for the winter months.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I wish I could over-winter rosemary in my climate. It would make an interesting high tunnel project for the winter months.
There is no reason you cant where you live just keep it from (((extreme)))) cold.
Old February 27, 2017   #24
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Rosemary will grow into a fairly large shrub in warm climates, which I am always jealous of. I certainly have known about using rosemary to baste meats but since it is a smaller slower growing herb in my climate, it would take a month or two to regrow a branch large enough to do that with. I have also heard of taking a larger, stiffer branch of it from a larger shrub of Rosemary and using it as a skewer to make kababs. My rosemary never grows branches that large and sturdy, so it is not an option for me. But I would love to have one of those in my garden!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Rosemary will grow into a fairly large shrub in warm climates, which I am always jealous of. I certainly have known about using rosemary to baste meats but since it is a smaller slower growing herb in my climate, it would take a month or two to regrow a branch large enough to do that with. I have also heard of taking a larger, stiffer branch of it from a larger shrub of Rosemary and using it as a skewer to make kababs. My rosemary never grows branches that large and sturdy, so it is not an option for me. But I would love to have one of those in my garden!
You want Gorizia Rosemary for this I had about 50 plants and they all drowned.

Long sturdy branches up to 6 feet for kabobs.

Worth
Old February 27, 2017   #26
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This will most likely be the Rosemary seeds we will buy http://www.plantationproducts.com/ca...culate#zipForm but we will look for other varieties as well.

Some interesting reading about rosemary varieties https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...ary-plants.htm
Old February 27, 2017   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Link from old thread I started.
I am a rosemary fanatic.

Salt I would honestly blow off the seeds and get a plant.
You will die of old age before you get anything.
Even swipe a cutting from the landscape some place if you see it.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....0&postcount=18

Last edited by Worth1; February 27, 2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old February 27, 2017   #28
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

You did my homework for me
Old February 27, 2017   #29
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I grow lots of herbs in containers, some with greater success than others. Tarragon and sage are probably my favorites, but I'm also trying summer savory and papalo (a pungent Mexican herb) this year. Some tips I didn't know my first year until it was too late -- pinch back the growing tips of established plants every week or thereabouts to encourage growth, don't water too frequently, and be stingy with the fertilizer on woody herbs like thyme and rosemary. Good luck!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #30
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Use Jungle growth it is sold in Lowe's, it is for containers. And 1/4 of Black Kow in the containers. If raining nasty the water will come out of hole. Make 3 or more holes with rocks on the bottom. Here is S.C we have a lot of rain soon, and all plants are in containers.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote