Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 27, 2017   #31
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

HOME
BLOG
ACCOUNT

Thanks for your purchase!

This email is to confirm your order on 02/11/2017. Your order number is 188842.

Her is what i and growing now in pots inside now
Billing Address:

Steven Adams
7886 Racquet Rd
North Charleston, South Carolina 29418
United States
Shipping Address:

Steven Adams
7886 Racquet Rd
North Charleston, South Carolina 29418
United States
Order Details:

Basilico Mostruoso Basil

Quantity: 1
Total: $1.50

Italiano Classico Basil

Siam Queen Thai Basil

Total: $1.75

Mexican Tarragon

Cinnamon/ Mexican Basil

Total: $1.25

Thai Basil

Subtotal: $9.00
Shipping: $2.95
Total: $11.95

Last edited by FILMNET; February 27, 2017 at 05:35 PM.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #32
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Lemon grass is easy,I started with a stalk from some I bought for a Thai recipe. Basil is probably my favorite and cilantro is wonderful. Mint can be used for so many things. Parsley,Sage,thyme,rosemary. Oregano. Lavender. I grow many types of basil which is also a huge bee attractant. I also grow several types of mints. I'm going to start growing lavender varieties to bloom in succession. They are another bee favorite and one of my favorite herbs for aroma.
Get real adventurous and try ginger and turmeric,which both can be grown from grocery store rhizomes and do well in pots. Also horseradish.
Really,I couldn't be without a lot of herbs,I simply love them. I may try cumin this year.
Oh,dill,fennel and anise!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #33
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Chives, Parsley, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary and Cilantro. Out of those five, I have no idea what Rosemary tastes like.

My interest in growing some herbs that can grow inside and outside comes from curiosity and wanting to grow plants during the dog days of summer - Also basically learning how to grow plants in containers.

When I mentioned this to my wife, she was and is still excited - for me, that is the reason I made this thread and asked for all of the advise.
Have you ever eaten at Macoroni Grill? Their bread has rosemary on it.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #34
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have never heard of Macaroni Grill until now. I did find 3 of them on Google. They are north of DFW. That would be why I haven't heard of it.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #35
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Rosemary is sort of a staple topping for focaccia at many restaurants. If you search for focaccia recipes on line, you'll see that quite a few call for topping it with rosemary.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #36
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I have never heard of Macaroni Grill until now. I did find 3 of them on Google. They are north of DFW. That would be why I haven't heard of it.
I think the original one is in San Antonio. It's been 20 years since I have been there, but that location was twice the size - and twice the free wine - of the others.

edit: wiki says the original location is still there, but operates under a different name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romano's_Macaroni_Grill
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #37
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

So far, I have these written as suggestions:

Basil
Chives
Cilantro
Dill
Lavender
Lemon grass
Oregano
Parsley
Rosemary
Sage
Tarragon
Thyme

I left out mint because we already have Apple, Mojito, and some other mint growing.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; February 28, 2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old February 28, 2017   #38
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

dill is an easy one too Robert. The fine feathery leaves are delicious chopped fine in things like potato salad for example. whole seed heads for dill pickles. Both leaves and seeds can easily be dried. Very attractive to pollinators in the garden as well so that`s a bonus. I have lots of seeds if you want some
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #39
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Karen, I edited the list to include Dill after I saw your post.

After doing a quick search on the ones listed above - It looks like we need to find these three as Transplants.

Lavender
Rosemary - transplants and seeds.
Thyme

Now, I'll research them all better.
Old February 28, 2017   #40
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

dill, depending on the variety can get quite tall. it`s easy to direct sow in the garden. a short row will do. there is a variety called fern leaf dill which is grown more for the leaves than the seeds and stays fairly short, maybe 2 feet tall which is good for containers or smaller herb gardens
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #41
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Some interesting info:

If you’re planting chive seeds indoors, place the pot in a dark spot in temperatures 60 to 70 F. (15 to 21 C.) until the seeds sprout, then move them into the light. When the chives reach 6 inches, you can transplant them to the garden. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...ing-chives.htm

Lavender - Put the seeds through a process called "cold stratifying."[1] In this process, seeds should be placed in a sealable plastic bag filled with moist soil. Use a commercial soil specially formulated for starting seeds. Place the plastic bag with the soil and seeds inside the refrigerator and allow it to sit for three weeks. http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Lavender-from-Seed

Lemongrass - Starting
Press the seeds gently 5mm (1/4″) into pre-moistened, sterilized seed starting mix. Use seedling trays with plastic domes, or containers sealed inside large plastic bags. Use bottom heat from a Seedling Heat Mat to maintain a soil temperature of 21°C (70°F). Keep seed trays or containers in a dark room or cupboard. Seeds should germinate in 5 to 21 days. The trick is to maintain a moist, not wet, environment. Once seedlings appear, remove the dome or plastic bag, and move them into full sun or beneath strong, full spectrum, artificial light. https://www.westcoastseeds.com/how-t...ow-lemongrass/

Oregano - As it is native to hot, arid regions, the oregano plant is perfect for growing in areas prone to drought. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...ow-oregano.htm
Old February 28, 2017   #42
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

You don't want sage for stuffing? It's a very pretty silvery green plant.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #43
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Deborah, I forgot Sage too. It is now added to the list above
Old February 28, 2017   #44
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Great!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #45
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Herbs grow like weeds here. I am considering putting some in containers this year just to help keep them reigned in. Mint, especially, has been taking over and I have been pulling up runners like crazy. The only downside to containers is that I have to remember to water them.

I grow thyme, oregano, and rosemary year round if we have a mild winter. Even my sage survived the winter this year. If it is a harsh winter, I will have to replant the rosemary. The oregano and thyme come right back after I trim the dead stuff away. Lavender comes back every year, too. I grow it because it smells nice and I like to use it to rinse my hair. My dog loves the thyme patches. He likes to roll around on them and chew on them when it's hot out. I don't mind. It makes him smell better.

I have cilantro in the garden right now that overwintered. I can't get it to germinate in the summer. It's too hot here. Basil, on the other hand, likes heat. I plant it next to the tomatoes.

Only the Rosemary has deep roots. Everything else could grow in a wide shallow pot. Most of my herbs tend to sprawl.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote