Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 10, 2019   #106
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Herbs in plant window

I have a a plant window over the kitchen sink and it's pretty easy to grow herbs on a small scale. Here are dill and chives sprouting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0110191419_HDR.jpg (371.8 KB, 54 views)
Old January 10, 2019   #107
PlainJane

Nice!
Old January 10, 2019   #108
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Looks wonderful SpookyShoe.

Those pots I posted about in post #94 (Almost 2 years ago) are going to be planted with Pretty N Sweet hybrid peppers https://www.seedsnsuch.com/product/p...-sweet-hybrid/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prettynsweet-1.jpg (19.0 KB, 46 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019   #109
JoParrott

Default containers

I grow lots of things in containers- my favorite is the cinder blocks that I have edged my garden with. I do chives, cilantro, basil,green onions, thyme- I could go on forever, but grow what you like to eat. I have even grown onions in them- one in each hole. I tried the window box planters, but they don't have enough root space- and the plastic gets too hot- in Texas you will have a bug problem. ProMix is the best potting medium you can buy. I use it to start seeds and as soil for everything- usually mixed with other bags of soils.

This photo was taken in the off season- during the summer the trellises and cages are full of tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (341.6 KB, 47 views)
Old January 11, 2019   #110
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

What a lovely kitchen feature. I love the style of home with a bump out kitchen window. So sad that they are rarely found now. People bring the outdoors inside in photographs now, bah!

Donna, what variety of dill are you growing indoors? It looks like you had good germination. I started a dill thread recently in the Herbs forum, and learned a ton. I want to grow dill for herb bread (have chives in the freezer from last summer's harvest ) ahead of cucumber season.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019   #111
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for the confusing response to Donna's post with Jo's garden photo. we posted at about the same time.

Nice tidy efficient space for succession planting, Jo. Your "off season" is growing an impressive bounty. I do this too (on a much smaller scale). I have more time to process herbs when the tomatoes and peppers are finished.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019   #112
PlainJane

It’s fascinating to see how different people approach gardening.
- Joyce
Old January 11, 2019   #113
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Dill

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
What a lovely kitchen feature. I love the style of home with a bump out kitchen window. So sad that they are rarely found now. People bring the outdoors inside in photographs now, bah!

Donna, what variety of dill are you growing indoors? It looks like you had good germination. I started a dill thread recently in the Herbs forum, and learned a ton. I want to grow dill for herb bread (have chives in the freezer from last summer's harvest ) ahead of cucumber season.

- Lisa
The packet says "Dukat." My window "bumps out" over the sink...it has two shelves and is glass on the top and sides.