Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 19, 2018   #16
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
The tones need the micro org in real dirt to work effective. Not really a container product IMO
I've actually inoculated all my plants and containers with a micro org root dip and soil drench that I got at the hydro shop. Stuff reeks and I regretted putting it in my pots, but I think it saved one of my plants that had root aphids. I can't recall the name of the product, but I can check later if you're interested. It's a local company from Cape Coral, FL. I've used tomato-tone in my earthboxes per Marsha's recommendations and have had really great results even in the ones I didn't use the microorganisms.
DocBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #17
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The tones need the micro org in real dirt to work effective. Not really a container product IMO
We don't have real dirt; we have sand. So we have to work with what we have. Maybe they would be amazing with real dirt, but this is all we know, we don't know what we don't know. We really do get a lot of tomatoes each season.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #18
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I am interested to hear of the results of these experiments Barb.
Will do; I've always just dumped the tones on top of containers (Root Pouches) and then watered. I try to do this every 2 weeks.

This year, I was only putting the Neem Seed Meal on top of the 2017 plants to get a slow release.

The plants and EB that I mixed the Neem in the mix are doing great. But they are 2018 plants so they should do well. The 2 EB that I restarted with the neem - the KP pair and the SunOrange / SunGreen pair are the best 2 groups I EVER had.

I have not found any downside. For fall 2018, I am going to do Neem Seed Meal on all plants/ EB.

For people with Fungus gnats, this should work well.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #19
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Is this the same neem seed meal that's like 5-1-2 slow release fertilizer or is it a different product?
DocBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #20
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Promix formulations all contain mycorrhizae, so they can be used, and indeed, are successful. If a potting mix doesn't have them, buying some to mix in water and dip the roots as an innoculant before final transplant is very inexpensive and easy.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #21
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrock View Post
I've actually inoculated all my plants and containers with a micro org root dip and soil drench that I got at the hydro shop. Stuff reeks and I regretted putting it in my pots, but I think it saved one of my plants that had root aphids. I can't recall the name of the product, but I can check later if you're interested. It's a local company from Cape Coral, FL. I've used tomato-tone in my earthboxes per Marsha's recommendations and have had really great results even in the ones I didn't use the microorganisms.
Promix already has them in it.
Old May 27, 2018   #22
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Not to mention the Tones have higher arsenic & heavy metals than many water soluble non-organics, some over 20x as much, regardless of how minute the amounts are.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #23
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I read that, and didn't use them in my Earthboxes with Pro Mix last year. One of my worst years, although that probably isn't why. One curious thing though; I always have live worms in my boxes when I clear them end of each season. No clear explanation about how they got there, but makes me wonder if there might be micro org in my boxes.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #24
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
I read that, and didn't use them in my Earthboxes with Pro Mix last year. One of my worst years, although that probably isn't why. One curious thing though; I always have live worms in my boxes when I clear them end of each season. No clear explanation about how they got there, but makes me wonder if there might be micro org in my boxes.
Promix, all types, come with mycorrhizae so you can use Tomato Tone. I use it exclusively. Also supplement once per week with a teaspoon of calcium nitrate and 1/3 teaspoon Epsom salts. Production is unreal.
Old May 28, 2018   #25
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Promix, all types, come with mycorrhizae so you can use Tomato Tone. I use it exclusively. Also supplement once per week with a teaspoon of calcium nitrate and 1/3 teaspoon Epsom salts. Production is unreal.
So I've heard. Sigh. TMI.

Trying Fox Farms Happy Frog, Grow Big and Big Bloom this year. Also "organic".:

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 28, 2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old May 28, 2018   #26
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

So I've heard. Sigh. TMI.

Trying Fox Farms Happy Frog, Grow Big and Big Bloom this year. Also "organic".:
Do you throw away your mix every year? I don't, I just pull out the old fert strip and add more dolomite and new fert, then top off with more PromixBX. YouTube has great videos on it. I do solarize for 6 weeks, kills all the baddies. I have used the same mix for 6 years now. Promix doesn't break down much at all from year to year.
Old May 28, 2018   #27
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I use it every season with my PromixBX, in my Earthboxes. It does great, and is a recommended fert to use with the PromixBX, which us also recommended by the Earthbox company. I hope this might have changed your opinion.
Old May 28, 2018   #28
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Do you throw away your mix every year? I don't, I just pull out the old fert strip and add more dolomite and new fert, then top off with more PromixBX. YouTube has great videos on it. I do solarize for 6 weeks, kills all the baddies. I have used the same mix for 6 years now. Promix doesn't break down much at all from year to year.
I've been using Pro Mix HP.

I don't keep track of how old the mix is, but I replace some from each box each year, to get the texture I'm looking for. At least that is what I do for the boxes that are empty, and weren't used over the winter. There are always a few that go from peas to tomatoes with almost no prep. That happened today. It's been glorious 70's all month, and today it hit 101. Out went the sugar snaps, and in went a tomato seedlings that was about to be tossed.

What months do you solarize?

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 28, 2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old May 29, 2018   #29
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Great! I just bought a 50lb bag of greenhouse grade calcium nitrate cheap, though I'm all set up for fertigation anyway.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #30
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

What months do you solarize?
Mid July through August. Probably your growing season, right?