Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 6, 2018   #1
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Just about being happy !!!

Aloha to all,
As we watch our gardens/seedlings grow, please enjoy the journey. I do it for food, as well as relaxation. This new year has been good to my garden. My family is safe,all around the world. And I get to play with growing on a 6x15 lanai (balcony) in Hawaii . I consider myself ,very novice , as a grower. The point is to enjoy your sucess, learn or adapt to our losses. And yes, I have been blessed with this chance. Mahalo Nui Loa and Aloha,
Tom
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018   #2
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Glad you are safe Tom! Indeed, this is the best time of the year- the anticipation of fruit! I hope you enjoy your bounty!!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Yes. I'm happy about these:
The weather is warm enough to plant out.
My seedlings look good.
35 seedlings planted, 29 to go.
I've got a crossbreeding project going.
I've got some rare-to-the-USA varieties to try.
I've got a mom who gardens with me.
I've got friends and a sister who I give plants to.
I can still garden despite arthritis.
There will be enough tomatoes to give to charity.
...and many many more.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2018   #4
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Nice thread to start. I am always almost giddy at this time of year, but this year especially. It has not been without its weather challenges, though. We went from late deep freezes to spring weather in a couple of days. Nothing could come out of the basement for much longer than usual, then out of the tents for even longer. Throw in an ill timed, but much needed trip to visit to visit family this week, and I am rushing around like a zombie.

What i am particularly thankful this year:
A family has moved into my church in sanctuary. She is severely disabled with Multiple Sclerosis and totally dependent on her husband for her care. He has a deportation order. An appeal in being worked on and it is anyone’s guess where that will go. He is going crazy not being able to leave the church or go to work. I was able to set him up with a container garden on our roof garden. The other day, I found a nice looking fig tree and brought it up to him. He is so excited, it seems like Christmas in May. He goes up daily to count how many of his seeds have sprouted. His enthusiasm is contagious. He is doing a lot of clean up work up there I never quite have enough time to get to, and today he will help me plant the gutter garden. I bought a covering to shade an area from the intense southern exposure years ago, and couldn’t ever quite figure out how to make it work. Now I have a plan. Parts to make a wheelchair ramp are on order so he can take his wife out there. It is making me very happy to be a part of this.

For 10 years I have been begging for an irrigation system for our church grounds, which have fallen into a deplorable state. We had one, but it wasn’t properly maintained. Pretty much everything died as the gardens are surrounded by concrete. It has happened. I have pretty much a blank slate to create some beauty in. Yea, hurray.

We got the fence around our community fixed up so, not only does it look better, but maybe it will keep the deer at bay. It is a beautiful and productive site otherwise, and I am very thankful for it.
Got the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant in yesterday.

I am thankful to all the people who try new an inventive ways of growing, thereby inspiring me. I am growing in bags of garden soil for the first year. It will be a fun experiment.

I grew up on a farm with large garden plots. Now I garden in the ground at the community garden and at my cottage. I grown in earth boxes, global buckets, and now in bags of soil here at home. I grown on a gutter garden at church. They are all different types of gardens, but each produces a wonderful array of fresh vegetables, and I am so grateful for that. Next experiment up is an ebb and flow garden.

I am thankful for this wonderful community of gardeners willing to share the information they have gleaned from their growing adventures. I have learned so much and gotten so much inspiration here.

I am thankful my DH who aids and abets me in my gardening adventures. I am thankful he no longer shakes his head and tells me my ideas can’t work, but rather figures out how he can help me make them work.

I am grateful for family, friends and coworkers who have come to realize the how great it is to grow a fresh tasty heirloom tomato, and eagerly await to see what plants I will have available for them to grow this season. It validates what I have a passion for.

I am thankful this growing season has started. Let the games begin.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2018   #5
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Aloha Nancy,
I am very happy to have started this thread. I am also grateful for many things. Stay Strong up there in Michigan. How cool is this life ?
Old May 7, 2018   #6
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much !!! To Spartenburg. �� we do what we can...Cheers & Aloha
Old May 7, 2018   #7
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Nancey,
I wanted to add this. I grow things in costco coffee containers, stolen totes, and lately. Coffee bags . Yes, this new thing... burlap bags , who knew ??? Aloha and Enjoy.
Tom
Old May 7, 2018   #8
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Wow, I love this. Please tell me your Happtimes. C'mon there villans... Share with me. Please
Old May 8, 2018   #9
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Happiness, for me, is listening to and getting lost in music.

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2018   #10
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

I'm happy just to see this very happy thread started! Yay!!!! You've already put a smile on my face this morning...thank you!

I love spring. Always a time for renewal and new beginnings.

Today, I'm going to make an extra effort to smile at each and every person I run into today.
tarheelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2018   #11
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Looking outside & seeing sunshine makes me happy. (Seasonal Affective Disorder, here). Especially after the "Weather" thread, with this long harsh winter, and last spring's 2 months of rain.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #12
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Well so far , so good. My lanai garden is starting to become a jungle. The California Wonder , Poblamo and Kaala's are all getting ready to flower. The Kaboucha is taking over. Hey talk about weather ? How's the chance of acid rain and sulpher gas ? That's the price of living in paradise. Have a good one.
Aloha
Old May 15, 2018   #13
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
Happiness, for me, is listening to and getting lost in music.

Howzit Doug,
Have you ever checked out " Playing for Change " ? It's on you tube. Enjoy.
Old May 15, 2018   #14
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzhawaii View Post
Howzit Doug,
Have you ever checked out " Playing for Change " ? It's on you tube. Enjoy.
I haven't even heard of it... but I found a Youtube page with that name and this is one of the videos:

Is that what you were talking about?

Either way, I liked it!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018   #15
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Love that song! Takes me "back in the day".
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote