Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 23, 2018   #1
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for someone using Fox farms products

To all,
Aloha. I am in search of any information on idea's and personal experience using Fox farms nutrients. I am not having any serious issues, just think it should be better. Also, I wonder if Cal-Mag could help me.
Let me know your thoughts.
Aloha and Thank you,
Tom
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #2
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I think I've tried every fertilizer/plant food including the FF trio products. I grow tomatoes / peppers in earthboxes or root pouches.

I was not impressed with them either; but later on I think they may have needed to be PH checked which I never did since it was not on the bottle.

Also, for tomatoes, I don't know why anyone even has the 'Bloom' products. (I've bought a bunch of those too over the years but the really good growers never use them.

ETA - I thought the dry FF fertilzer/plant food was pretty good but expensive.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #3
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I have used it on demo plants for customers in my retail Greenhouse. I sell some fertilizers products , so I prove their worthiness then customers can just see them work. I used a quite a bit to get to 1500ppm, then added 3ml of Cal-Mag per gallon on top of that. Results were good.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #4
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Nothing to contribute. I ran out of Dyna so I am using FF Grow this year for my containers. Cannot really give a baseline, as each container get's a good dose of CRF when I transplant them in.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018   #5
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I have used it on demo plants for customers in my retail Greenhouse. I sell some fertilizers products , so I prove their worthiness then customers can just see them work. I used a quite a bit to get to 1500ppm, then added 3ml of Cal-Mag per gallon on top of that. Results were good.
Thanks everyone,
I'm not really disapointed. Just curious.
Mark,
Your opinion holds alot of weight, for me. Your plants are out of this world. Your greenhouse is perfect. I don't measure ppm. But keep an eye on the ph almost daily. I follow the feeding schedule, using the base and grow big. I phase into the base and Tiger bloom after that. I'm going to up the base and give the cal- mag a shot.I should also add that I have never used the Hammer for a flush, just plain water. Luckily in Hawaii there's no floride and the ph is absolutley consistant 7.0.
Thanks again for your reply.
Aloha
Old May 24, 2018   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

What product is 'the' cal-mag exactly? I see lots of products with this in their name and their content varies a lot.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018   #7
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
What product is 'the' cal-mag exactly? I see lots of products with this in their name and their content varies a lot.
I have not used any yet. But thinking maybe give it a try.
Old May 26, 2018   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

The curve went to the new coir,mixed with peat,Mother Earth from Amsterdam,via India,processed,there shipped from Atlantic side.The other west coast,British Columbia,via Washington,dark brown.
Old May 26, 2018   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
The curve went to the new coir,mixed with peat,Mother Earth from Amsterdam,via India,processed,there shipped from Atlantic side.The other west coast,British Columbia,via Washington,dark brown.
The curve? I don't understand. Dark brown?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #10
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

I didn't get that either.
Old May 27, 2018   #11
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I'm using Fox Farm, the dry all purpose, and tomato and veg "Happy Frog" after years of Epsoma. Not sure why I made the change, other than lots of warnings about organic fertilizers in containers (I garden in Earthboxes). But Fox Farm is organic too. In fact EVERYTHING seems to be labled organic.i've used Cal Mag in hydroponics, but don't have a control, so who knows?

https://www.amazon.com/FoxFarm-FX140...rog+fertilizer

About $10 at my local Ace.

Cal Mag

https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydro...ywords=cal+mag

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 27, 2018 at 11:43 AM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #12
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, thats good information. And yes, organic has little meaning anymore. I went with FF as a trial. I found my plants doing ok the 1st year. Tomatoes grew well but the flowers died and blew away. It was months later that I found my mistake. I was only using grow big. And then tiger bloom when flowers came. A youtube video explained what each nutrient is for and how to use it. I was totally shocked that I never thought to use the liquid plant food as a base.Not sure what they call it . Since then it's been a different story. Looking forward to some awesome veggies this year. Cukes have been giving me 3-4 a week. Now it's almost pepper time and komatsuna greens. Then tomatoes. Well, that's the plan.
Aloha
Old May 27, 2018   #13
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I have the liquid too, but have not used it. Was there something in the video that shocked you? I'm sure I can I find a video.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 27, 2018 at 11:49 AM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #14
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I did not fully understand that 3 different nutrients (Big bloom, grow big & tiger bloom ) are the norm. I was just using 2.
Old May 27, 2018   #15
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Think plant,eyeball level,out of ground root time,then leader,crotch pick the production ,are we growing leaves,everything under veg above dead,All energy one way,not back down,math says calendar,product,race until,bugs timeThen at bloom time max bloom boost,foforito phosphate,the white tip on the Diamond Match Pack