Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 27, 2018   #16
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default The coir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
The curve? I don't understand. Dark brown?
As we first started the wonder soil thread, first mentioned in a post by A member,Some of the mediums,not processed in my side by sides,have a clear runoff as in water colour.Now the newer,more market friendly coir is mixed,not pure coir,some are peat/ coir,the “tannin” is darker,more junk,fancy advertisements,.Acclum thanks
Old May 28, 2018   #17
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
I have the liquid too, but have not used it. Was there something in the video that shocked you? I'm sure I can I find a video.
Perfect gardens,. Which ff do I use.
Is the title on you tube

Last edited by Tomzhawaii; May 28, 2018 at 01:31 AM.
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #18
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzhawaii View Post
Perfect gardens,. Which ff do I use.
Is the title on you tube
Found it! Thanks!
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #19
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

So here's a quick update.
As my peppers and tomatoes began blooming, I noticed a falloff of the leaf colors. I have been using the 3 liquids, as best as I can. Still not happy. I finally broke down and added cal- mag . Boom... getting green and pepper flowers a plenty. Tomatoes also. I will pickup my new toy. A ppm meter. I've read so much and want this garden as a hobby. Not an obsession. But as many of you know.... it is what we make it. My last thought is... ohhh it's on now. Aloha
Old June 11, 2018   #20
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
As my peppers and tomatoes began blooming, I noticed a falloff of the leaf colors. I have been using the 3 liquids, as best as I can. Still not happy. I finally broke down and added cal- mag . Boom... getting green and pepper flowers a plenty. Tomatoes also. I will pickup my new toy. A ppm meter. I've read so much and want this garden as a hobby. Not an obsession. But as many of you know.... it is what we make it. My last thought is... ohhh it's on now. Aloha
I have this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well, if you are going to get a ppm meter, how about ph meter? (toys! smile).

There is a whole science to how ph affects nutrient availability.

http://www.agrobest.com.au/news/How-...utrients-7.htm

I have this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Shrinkrap; June 11, 2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old June 11, 2018   #21
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I really like my hand Blue Lab PPM, EC meter. They are super easy to use and easy to calibrate. The Trunchean is good too. The Hanna's are good but they need to be calibrated more often and are a bit more finicky.
Good luck
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #22
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

To all,
Yes, I monitor my ph daily and consistently. I believe in bluelab's equipment. I am growing sweet peppers & tomatoes from a single reservior. My other is for komatsuna(mustard greens ) & cabbage in a raingutter rail system. Here's my issue. I do understand the basic difference between one system's needs and the other's. However, how do I keep the tomatoes and sweet peppers happy. And now the greens and cabbages are sooo different in ppm requirements. I'm begining to wonder what is best.
Old June 11, 2018   #23
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

There is a whole science to how ph affects nutrient availability.
Which is very true.
However, there are many other factors considering the many different soil compositions . Besides being hard to follow, that chart only makes me wonder. How does one use it ?
Old June 18, 2018   #24
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Ohhhh, that's too much

Quote:
To all,
Yes, I monitor my ph daily and consistently. I believe in bluelab's equipment. I am growing sweet peppers & tomatoes from a single reservior. My other is for komatsuna(mustard greens ) & cabbage in a raingutter rail system. Here's my issue. I do understand the basic difference between one system's needs and the other's. However, how do I keep the tomatoes and sweet peppers happy. And now the greens and cabbages are sooo different in ppm requirements. I'm begining to wonder what is best.
So, I got my ppm meter. As it turns out. I am killing my pepper plants. The U.H. tomatoes are still hanging in there. 1st tomato has BER. Go figure ... I'm hoping that plenty of cal-mag and cold water will turn this around for the best. P.S. my reading was 2300 ppm.
Old June 18, 2018   #25
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
So, I got my ppm meter. As it turns out. I am killing my pepper plants. The U.H. tomatoes are still hanging in there. 1st tomato has BER. Go figure ... I'm hoping that plenty of cal-mag and cold water will turn this around for the best. P.S. my reading was 2300 ppm.
In a container I run 1700ppm, in dirt much less. Good luck
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #26
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default A lesson well learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
In a container I run 1700ppm, in dirt much less. Good luck
Thanks Mark,
Another part of the puzzle. I knew better and learned the hard way. The good side is that I'm not done trying to be better. In a weird turn, I just found a half pack of Mortgage lifter seeds. So it's a new day and a new adventure.
Aloha
Old June 18, 2018   #27
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Aww. That doesn't seem fair. I don't check ppm oon my container planre, and they look fine. With regard to that pH chart, I strife for 5.5 fr hydroponics, and would look at the ye chart more closely if was having problems I could identify as related to nutrients. Sometimes, the less I know the better.
Old June 18, 2018   #28
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

In fairness to my plants. I have these fushimi peppers that just keep on producing maybe 10-12 peppers a week. No joke, I cannot believe the strength of these plants. And the aphids don't bother with them at all. I am interested to find a happy middle ground. The good part is there is no end of the season in Hawaii. I just keep on starting new seeds. Yeah me.
Old June 26, 2018   #29
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Check your runoff.

Quote:
As I started getting more comfortable and educated with my ppm meter. I learned something important about controlling the nutrient level in a container. Since my system is reciculating I can check the runoff ph & ppm. O.M.G. it was thru the roof 2500 ppm & 5.0 ph . Everytime I add nutrients, it acts as a multiplier to my readings inside the containers.Even as careful as I was about following a schedule, it's all in the flush. This would explain my trouble with growbag style plants.
Old June 26, 2018   #30
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Tomzhawii. How aften are you flushing. I try to run off whenever I water with plain H20. On the days I'm adding liquid fertz/supplement, I purposely space out my water schedule. I root drench - come back - root drench again, and then give it some H20. --- mainly due to growbag + coarse medium.

I know if I'm not flushing enough when the outside gets white and hard....which did happen to me the 1st year I was using growbags

Interesting read on the meters....I've yet to take it to that scale as a garden hobby.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote