Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 27, 2018   #31
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Salt buildup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
Tomzhawii. How aften are you flushing. I try to run off whenever I water with plain H20. On the days I'm adding liquid fertz/supplement, I purposely space out my water schedule. I root drench - come back - root drench again, and then give it some H20. --- mainly due to growbag + coarse medium.

I know if I'm not flushing enough when the outside gets white and hard....which did happen to me the 1st year I was using growbags

Interesting read on the meters....I've yet to take it to that scale as a garden hobby.
Mobile,
I now will try to flush every 12-15 days. But that also depends on how many gallons get topped off with plain water.
I read some stuff and started thinking about how much I was feeding and how much I topped off with just water. Thats the reason for getting a ppm meter. It was 2300 in my reservior and even after 15 gallons of water in a 25 gallon container my runoff from my media only dropped 300ppms. Shocking. But it's getting better. I did quit the tiger bloom. It drops the ph way too much and since then seems to have leveled out to average 6 - 6.5. Cal-mag is helping also.
Thanks for reading
Tom
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2018   #32
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

So after a real effort to do my best with these nutrients. I decided to get some facts. I took some tomato leaves to University of Hawaii Ag Diagnostic center. My results were :
N 3.86%, P 0.37%, K 7.15%, Ca 1.14%, Mg 0.89%, Na 0.39%, S 0% , Fe 352 ppm, Mn 47 ppm, Z 173 ppm , Cu 41ppm, B 168 ppm
I did follow ak marks advise by consistantly using cal-mag. The mag came good, the cal came up short.
I am going to try and add cal-mag and bump up the tiger bloom. However, I worry about burning my plants.
Right now , I will continue using F.F. to use up what I bought.
But that might change more sooner than later. Since I use coco coir ,I have noticed top hydro companies adding new nutrient lines dedicated to coco medium. It makes me wonder. I just needed to put my info out there, for anyone interested
Aloha,
Tom
Old February 13, 2019   #33
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Ahhh. Progress & K.I.S.S.

So here's a small update.
I got so uptight over killing plants, that grew from seed wonderfully. That it came to be such a disapointment to keep trying. My lettuce and cabbage do great all year, in my rail system. It was the containers giving me trouble.I read a bunch of stuff and decided to have another go at tomatoes again. This time I made a big change. I bought a hydroponic liquid flush to clear all the nutrients and sodium from the coir. I went whole hog. Followed the mixing instructions and repeated this over and over. I ran fresh water through for 5 days changing the water everyday. Then let it rest for a week. My mind could not take it anymore, I had to find out what changes were made. So, digging around I found some Cherokee Purple and tomato seeds from the dollar store in Japan. Well 4 months later my experiment has bloomed big time. I cut back on my dosage and kept up on the cal-mag. But my lesson (IMO) was the overdose of nutrients and the sodium that comes with the liquids. All in All, it came out very well so far.
Aloha,
Tom
Old February 13, 2019   #34
PlainJane

Good feedback; thanks Tom.

- Joyce
Old February 13, 2019   #35
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default 2019

So here is what I have so far
I have no idea why the pics are sideways. Ughhh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0456.JPG (115.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0463.JPG (127.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0459.JPG (106.8 KB, 126 views)
Old February 13, 2019   #36
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Fox Farm

Two thumbs up
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2019   #37
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Aloha Fred,
Since you replied. Is there a really good container tomato to grow in Hawaii? I've grown some N-64 from U.H. and a few heirlooms, but always wondered what would be best. Not only for taste , but one that will tolerate the humidity.
Thank you,
Tom
Old February 14, 2019   #38
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzhawaii View Post
Mobile,
I now will try to flush every 12-15 days. But that also depends on how many gallons get topped off with plain water.
I read some stuff and started thinking about how much I was feeding and how much I topped off with just water. Thats the reason for getting a ppm meter. It was 2300 in my reservior and even after 15 gallons of water in a 25 gallon container my runoff from my media only dropped 300ppms. Shocking. But it's getting better. I did quit the tiger bloom. It drops the ph way too much and since then seems to have leveled out to average 6 - 6.5. Cal-mag is helping also.
Thanks for reading
Tom
Looks like you are figuring it out. Excellent, keep us posted.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2019   #39
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Mark,
I seems that FF has either been sold or have changed suppliers. My local store is on a wait list for delivery. So it's time to change. I'm looking at Home & Garden hydro. Another liquid, but 2 part like the Flora series.
By the way. I scored some Mat Su Express from Marsha. Now I am hoping these hurry up and ripen quickly. I can't wait to grow your creation.
Aloha, Tom
Old March 7, 2019   #40
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherokee Purples

Coming along nicely. This cold weather is slowing the growth. But still plenty on there way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0496.jpg (159.3 KB, 59 views)
Old March 7, 2019   #41
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Those look nice. Right on, nice to see success in the making.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote