Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 4, 2018   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Burpee "Narrow" tomatoes

I made this list up to help select some suitable varieties for use in my EarthBoxes next year. So I thought it might be of interest to other growers using containers. There are some tasty varieties in the group, and I included both hybrid and OP. I didn't include any cherry varieties, although I doubt that many would be "narrow" plants. Burpee lists these dimensions for most varieties as the width at maturity. All are Ind. except as noted. One other note -- Orange Wellington is supposedly a hybrid (F1), and that is what my packet says, but the web site does not show it to be a hybrid. I've written and asked its true category. At any rate, it is a great tomato (IMO), and always does well here in 5b.

Burpee Hybrid Narrow Tomatoes (from Burpee.com 2018)

Orange Wellington 18"
Big Pink 18"
Better Boy 18"
Big Beef 18"
Supersteak 18"
Carmelita 18"
Porterhouse 18"
Razzle Dazzle 18"
Red October 18"
Steak Sandwich 18"
Super Tasty 18" -- semi-indet.
Sweet Tangerine 18” -- det.

Burpee OP Narrow Tomatoes

Persimmon 18"
Bloody Butcher 18"
Delicious 18-24"
Stupice 18"
German Pink 18"

Last edited by Greatgardens; July 4, 2018 at 10:13 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2018   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Good list! I've only grown one of those- Big Beef F1- but you're right, it is neatly narrow.
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2018   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Narrow as in not taking much space horizontally? Then droopy leaved plants are quite suitable. They hang down taking less space, but internode length is increased, so they are generally taller.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Narrow as in not taking much space horizontally? Then droopy leaved plants are quite suitable. They hang down taking less space, but internode length is increased, so they are generally taller.
My question as well.

I don't grow in earthboxes, so please indicate length,width and height. What supports them as the plants grow taller/wider.

How many plants do the Earthbox folks say to put in one box, and how far apart?

And I ask since I've grown many of the varieties you listed, both hybrids and OP's.

Thanks in advance.

Carolyn
Old July 9, 2018   #5
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I LOVE Earthboxes, and am now up to 12 of them. I think varieties from the Dwarf Project and Earthboxes were made for each other. Last year I put three per box, but this year I only put two, and they are doing much better. I think any variety listed as semi-determinate would do well in them. That being said, my son, living just outside San Diego, is growing in Earthboxes, and one of his favorites is Amazon Chocolate, and his plants easily top twelve feet tall, are unpruned, and are absolutely loaded with beautiful tomatoes. Another that he likes is called German Pink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old July 18, 2018   #6
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

My Kumato O.P. plant is also very narrow, and growing quite well in an EB. It is taller than the typical 4 ft or so of the Project dwarfs. It is very open, but so far, no sun scald. Larger than the store variety at 5-6 oz. I've picked a couple but still waiting for them to get truly ripe to the touch. Downside -- for an IND plant, it is more prone to disease than most. I've also got a Brandy Boy hybrid growing in an EB along with a dwarf. BB is definitely much smaller than when in the ground. Quite open, and probably will have no more than 6 tomatoes on it. (?)

Last edited by Greatgardens; July 19, 2018 at 07:26 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote