Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old September 22, 2018   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Great results with new pepper variety

With fall officially here I just had to harvest some of my Japanese Shish!to peppers. This is my first year growing this variety and the yield has been amazing!! I had over 120 peppers from just 2 plants, I spent the next hour or so washing removing the seeds and slicing them up. Some will be sent to the freezer, and some will be used in cooking for the next few weeks. In two weeks if as long as we don't get frost there will be more peppers getting ripe for picking. Here's a pic of lots of peppers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lots of peppers 002.jpg (518.8 KB, 131 views)
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #2
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I pick a lot of mine green for frying, yours look really good. They are a very productive pepper.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #3
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

I've never had a pepper plant produce so many peppers!
Old September 23, 2018   #4
peebee
Tomatovillian™

JetStar, have you ever tried eating them just whole, fried in a little oil w/ some salt or however you want to season them? I drizzle a bit of soy sauce at the end if I eat them by themselves plain but of course I use them in mixed stir-fries and in pasta dishes. It just seems like a lot of work to deseed and slice such small peppers. When fried or sautéed, the small seeds become soft and do not bother most people.
Your harvest looks amazing by the way . I could use some now but my season is over.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2018   #5
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Peebee, thank's for your advice on cooking them whole but I have a question on that. Do you trim off the top of the pepper where you removed it from the plant bedfore frying them up? It sounds like a great way to enjoy them I just don't think the stem of thr plant would be very tasty.
Old September 23, 2018   #6
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Yes you can trim off the top but the way it's eaten in Japan is, you eat it whole by putting the body in your mouth and bite down where the top is. Like eating a small tomato if the stem is still attached: you would hold on to the stem right? So it's easy to eat by hand or chopsticks, and with a fork too I'd imagine.
Old September 23, 2018   #7
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I LOVE shish*tos! I fry them in olive oil, as suggested, or toss in oil and grill them on a grill screen, for the same effect without the spatter risk. I recently read to sprinkle a bit of lime juice just before consuming. I tried it for lunch today, and it takes them to a whole new level - definitely worth a try!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old September 23, 2018   #8
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the quick reply I can't wait to try em, I'm guessing medium heat for frying them in olive oil??
Old September 24, 2018   #9
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I sear over high at first then lower a bit to soften the peppers and they cook quickly due to their thin skins. No matter how you cook them you will enjoy them.
Old September 24, 2018   #10
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Forgot to add: I've never eaten them red before, do they get sweeter when red?
Old September 24, 2018   #11
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Forgot to add: I've never eaten them red before, do they get sweeter when red?
They do indeed. The skin becomes hard however, and they are full of hard seeds (most of the weight will be seeds since the walls are very thin) . They really are mostly for picking green before the seeds grow to full size. Can be used for frying, grilling, pickling. Quite productive in numbers but in weight the padron vastly outproduces them with much stronger growing plants (same uses, different shape, stronger and a bit more bitter flavour).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2018   #12
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year growing the Shish!to I was told to let the turn red before picking with frost due in less than2 weeks its good to know There very good green as well! I might as well ask both of you Peebee & Zipcode if you've ever grown Jimmy Nardelos if so what is your opinion of this sweet pepper? I got a few seeds this summer but it was to to late to plant for this year. I was told there bigger than the Shish!to but not as prolific, any thoughts on them would be helpful... Thanks!
Old September 24, 2018   #13
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Jetstar, disregard my cooking advice, I wasn't thinking clearly and assumed you had green peppers but obviously your photo showed red ones, sorry. If the skins and seeds become hard as zipcode states, then you probably should not eat them whole.
I only let them become red when collecting seeds; they are great eating green as they are very tender.
I find the pepper closest in taste to a shishi is the Friariello (sp?) pepper; they are larger too. This year I tried a hybrid from Japan called Shishipi, it is a cross of shishi and the Japanese "bell" pepper that really isn't like our bell peppers here. They were good but next year I will grow them side by side w/ the shishis and Friariellos to compare. The seed cost of the hybrid may not be worth it in the future.
Old September 24, 2018   #14
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Peebee thank's for the advice if you need Pepper seeds like Jimmy Nardello or the Shis!to plus many other varieties check out migardener.com website all there seeds are non GMO and all seeds are 1.00 a package! I've used them for a couple years and there great!
Old September 24, 2018   #15
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

My shish*topepperplant did great too but the peppers were hot, even when green. I expected a mild frying pepper like Padron. Was my seed crossed?
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote