Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 18, 2018   #16
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak54 View Post
When I started growing in grow bags 3 yrs. ago I also wondered about re-using the Pro Mix from them the next season. Upon reading Epic Tomatoes written by our friend Craig, he says not to do it in the interest of keeping soil born disease from transferring to the soil mix. Well my whole reason for having to use grow bags is exactly because of soil disease in my in-ground garden plot that I used for more than 25 yrs to grow tomatoes. So I decided to not risk shooting myself in the foot and take the advice of someone I respect. And I can say I no longer struggle with bacterial disease in my grow bags. I know Pro Mix is expensive but my growing success is worth it. But to each his own.
Dan
I did this for years, too, but now I want to scale up the number of tomatoes I grow and I’m running out of places to dump soil that’s done for tomatoes and already been used for other crops. I’m to the point where mixing, sterilizing and reusing my own 5-1-1 is the only economical way to go. My homemade vermicompost will be enough for all the fruit trees and berries if I don’t use it on the tomatoes.
Old December 18, 2018   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
When I started growing in grow bags 3 yrs. ago I also wondered about re-using the Pro Mix from them the next season. Upon reading Epic Tomatoes written by our friend Craig, he says not to do it in the interest of keeping soil born disease from transferring to the soil mix. Well my whole reason for having to use grow bags is exactly because of soil disease in my in-ground garden plot that I used for more than 25 yrs to grow tomatoes. So I decided to not risk shooting myself in the foot and take the advice of someone I respect. And I can say I no longer struggle with bacterial disease in my grow bags. I know Pro Mix is expensive but my growing success is worth it. But to each his own.
Dan
It's my understanding that he no longer dumps and starts new.(I could be wrong, but I really think I read that) I never dump, rather I solarize, which sterilizes the soil. Then I just replace nutrients and top off with some new.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2018   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have no advice to give as I have container grown only one season. I do plan on reusing the mix though.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2018   #19
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I have no advice to give as I have container grown only one season. I do plan on reusing the mix though.
Did use a ready-made mix or concoct your own?
Old December 23, 2018   #20
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
It's my understanding that he no longer dumps and starts new.(I could be wrong, but I really think I read that) I never dump, rather I solarize, which sterilizes the soil. Then I just replace nutrients and top off with some new.

One issue with solarization is that it is more effective in some parts of the country than other parts. If I lived in a sunshine state like Florida instead of Ohio then I would do as you suggest.

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2018   #21
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
One issue with solarization is that it is more effective in some parts of the country than other parts. If I lived in a sunshine state like Florida instead of Ohio then I would do as you suggest.

Dan
For sure Dan. Plus, I can't grow in the summer, too hot and humid for fruit set, and so it's the perfect time to solarize, and of course the rest of the country is growing then.
Old December 23, 2018   #22
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Wow ! Not being able to grow in the summer is something I never even thought about or imagined having to deal with. But having seen some of your pics posted on this forum, I'd say you have learned very well how to deal with your local climate conditions cause you grow great tomatoes.
Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2018   #23
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Wow ! Not being able to grow in the summer is something I never even thought about or imagined having to deal with. But having seen some of your pics posted on this forum, I'd say you have learned very well how to deal with your local climate conditions cause you grow great tomatoes.
Dan
Thank you so much! It isn't so bad, here we start seeds in August or September, still hot so no heat mat ever needed. We try to have established plants in time for them to bloom when it finally cools off. Then they continue on until early June, so we have a very long season, plus I get to solarize so I can reuse, less cost that way. Best part - we never have high 90s and up in temp to deal with while growing the tomatoes, so we can grow things even if they dont set fruit well in heat. It's all a matter of timing.
Also, we get amazing mangoes in the summer, good consolation prize!

(Sorry for jacking the thread!)