Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 17, 2019   #1
nickfarm45
Tomatovillian™

Default 2019 tomato season

Hey all,
Just bought some seeds for this year. Used to grow a big garden but haven't had time last 2 years. Going to do a garden this year moderate sized.

Will be starting tomatoes in about a week or two, location is Ontario Canada.
My varieties are:
Big Beef, my favorite all around for yield and I like the taste and size and how the plants grow. Just overall really happy with Big beef

Going to put in some Heinz 1439, I know not really the best for slicing but I'll see how they do.

And for fun some Sicilian saucer tomatoes. Grew them in 2015 and they were huge! they tasted good and just a fun one to grow.

Just doing the 3 this year
, Anyways just wanted to start a thread exited to start planting. Anyone else want to share what varieties your putting in?
nickfarm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2019   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Good luck ! Get going. It make life more exciting. It dose to me. I am ahead of you by about 5 weeks. My seedlings are are ready to go out soon.
It is a big wide world. But fenerally speaking, it is the beginning of tomato season in the north hemisphere.
Winter is coming to an end. Tomorrow will be the first day of spring.
Happy Spring !

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2019   #3
PlainJane

Good gardening Nick!
I’m lucky in that my tomato, pepper and eggplant starts are already outside in 4” pots.
Here at TV it’s a constant battle to resist the seed offers; most of the time I fail miserably.
I’m growing 3 or 4 types of eggplant, 10 or so peppers (sweet, flavoring and mildly hot) and about 30-ish tomatoes (mix of colors and sizes). I’ll fill out with beans, cukes and greens wherever I can find a bit of space.
Old March 30, 2019   #4
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Growing heirlooms, hereabouts. Many in coldframe, the lid is closed tonight, as we anticipate a chilly weekend in Austin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg in coldframe lt.jpg (427.3 KB, 190 views)
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019   #5
PlainJane

Your seedlings look great Harry!
Old March 31, 2019   #6
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Nick, I grew Heinz 1439 last year. The tomatoes are smallish, but they are beautiful and perfect-looking. The flavor was good with (of course) a hint of ketchup. It's determinate but mine put out a smaller second flush of fruit before dying back.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2019   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Harry, your seedlings are coming along nicely.
They look very healthy

Happy Gardening !
Old April 4, 2019   #8
maziuaf
Tomatovillian™

Hi, @ all
have a good tomato crop in 2019.

anybody know about physiology of suckers developement in tomatoes???
maziuaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2019   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Well, suckers are just side/lateral branches.
But when there are too many of them , plant directs more energy to foliar growth. But given ideal growing conditions and long growing season they can/may also produce tomatoes. But later in the season.
That is why some gardeners prune them or keep at minimum in order to direct more plants, energy into main mranches.

Happy Gardening !
Old April 13, 2019   #10
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Have a wonderful time growing your tomatoes! I started seeds a few weeks ago but had some challenges with aphids and then I put the seedlings outside on a day that was supposed to be cloudy, went to work and I guess the sun was too hot for my babies and they got a little scorched. Oh well, I think they will be okay. I'm growing purple heart dwarf/caspian pink/ananas noir/hillbilly and juliet which I purchased at the nursery. I have already planted the Juliet in my garden since that one doesn't seem to mind temp. changes, the others will be planted in a couple of weeks. I'll have to try the big beef if I see it for sale since I have room for one more plant.
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote