Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 22, 2019   #16
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexxluthor View Post
Not a great grower by any means but i have used 4-18-38 for the last few years and had only a couple of issues with growing 20 varieties of peppers and 10 varieties of maters. Last year I had blossom end rot for the first time in the last 5 years. I had two eb of 8 with ber. One box with tomatoes and one with peppers. I mix 5 gallon buckets for fertilizer and pour directly into the earthboxe's. I had the ber early so I added lime in those to boxes and they finished the rest of the season ber less. My reason was the cost was minimal for a lot of fertilizer.
You should use CaNO3 in equal amounts with the 4-18-38, this will ensure that you get no BER if your watering is good. You should also use MgSO4 at half the amounts as the other two components.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2019   #17
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Peebee,
I found this and thought it might help.
Aloha,
Tom
https://youtu.be/vYv9iu2NI3M
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2019   #18
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

And if you have any questions
Plesse watch this
https://youtu.be/MHo1fNnXFVU
Old March 28, 2019   #19
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

And then
I thought deeper.
It is a trúe feeling ,thank you all
https://youtu.be/4xjPODksI08
Follow the thread and give Aloha
Old March 28, 2019   #20
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Keep going. A d will come to this.
https://youtu.be/i9YvB9FmR3E
I hope
Aloha's
Old March 28, 2019   #21
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

And then it came to me !!!
https://youtu.be/SFP5afPweVI
Old March 28, 2019   #22
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

https://youtu.be/biGm7nUgisA
Old August 1, 2019   #23
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Hannah Meter will come in real handy.

As do the Haifa graphs on nutrient requirements along the growth cycle.

https://www.haifa-group.com/crop-gui...lant-nutrition

A good scale can help too.

If you choose to fertigate it can be advantageous to start at 1/2 the strength and work your way up.

Good luck!
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2020   #24
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Masterblend question/issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
It is not only a complete fertilizer, it is tailored specifically for tomatoes in containers. Other than Haifa products or doing the mix myself, it is Hydro gardens blend all the way. I have used it for several years, works like a charm.

If you use this fertilizer correctly I think you could have some real issues adding other fertilizers. These tailored fertilizers have been dialed in by element analysis of leaf samples. To add more or less I think would show up in the reports. I think a little Blue Lab pen would help too, the Hanna's are decent also. Then follow the directions and see what the pH, and EC is. Adjust as needed.
Aloha,
I would like to start by saying that I hope everyone is doing ok. I seem to have ran into a situation that needs more information.
I have some cloned and seed plants. Big cheef, Tenn suited, Amish paste and a generic cherry. All have grown in a coco, perlite & hydroton mix using Masterblend. I watch ppm (800-1000)& ph regularly (6.5-7.0). My issue is tomatoes grow and bloom after 25 -35 days. I get what seems like some lockout. My leaves curl and pea size tomatoes stop growing. This is a reoccuring problem. I change nutrients and go for awhile, then it all goes south. I do clean my coco using Florakleen and rinse like crazy, before plant or transplanting.
I would love to hear what you think.
Aloha,
Tom
Old April 25, 2020   #25
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzhawaii View Post
Aloha,
I would like to start by saying that I hope everyone is doing ok. I seem to have ran into a situation that needs more information.
I have some cloned and seed plants. Big cheef, Tenn suited, Amish paste and a generic cherry. All have grown in a coco, perlite & hydroton mix using Masterblend. I watch ppm (800-1000)& ph regularly (6.5-7.0). My issue is tomatoes grow and bloom after 25 -35 days. I get what seems like some lockout. My leaves curl and pea size tomatoes stop growing. This is a reoccuring problem. I change nutrients and go for awhile, then it all goes south. I do clean my coco using Florakleen and rinse like crazy, before plant or transplanting.
I would love to hear what you think.
Aloha,
Tom
Hey Tom, I have been selling the hobby container of Masterblend and mixed up a batch following the directions. I got 1850-1900 ppm, minus my water is 1620-1700 or so. I also use these same numbers for production with 4-18-38 and other components. My plants are smokin right along, the health is perfect
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2020   #26
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzhawaii View Post
Aloha,
My issue is tomatoes grow and bloom after 25 -35 days. I get what seems like some lockout. My leaves curl and pea size tomatoes stop growing. This is a reoccuring problem.

I can't say exactly about the fertilizer, but pea sized fruit is usually an overly vegetative plant sometimes coupled with too little light. I have this problem sometimes on the first truss, it seems the plant sets due to some hormonal activity, but no pollination, usually these fruits have no seeds, and the flowers have basically no pollen (at least not visible even after drying).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2020   #27
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Aloha,
Thank you . AKMark good to hear from you. I am gaining ground with my knowledge of Masterblend. I thought it would be more simple than a 3 part liquid program. Stay well and good luck this season.
Old May 4, 2020   #28
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

I've grown with the kratky method in early spring, keeping at min 2 inches from bottom (really hard when it starts getting warm, PITA trimming roots) and Masterblend carried the cherry tomato all the way through.
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote