Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 4, 2019   #1
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Default Who Has The Oldest Earthbox Here?

I scored 7 used EBs today--for free! On nextdoor.com of all places, I happened upon a post that was almost a week old and thought for sure they were gone but I messaged the man anyways. Surprise, still there. So I rushed over today.
2 were about 5 yrs old, with casters. The other 5, to my surprise, were ones I had never seen before. The older gentleman said they were the first he bought about 15 yrs ago. They were heavy and built like Sherman tanks. The inner design was different so you have to lay down these grid-like things on the bottom so that the screen lays flat on them. He gave me enough of the covers to last me a lifetime and more, a shopping bag stuffed with new ones. He made his own platforms w/ casters for them too, so you can roll them anywhere. Pretty cool.
So now I'm wondering, who else here has these "vintage" EBs? The drain hole looks smaller, that is the only thing I am concerned about but the former owner said he grew corn every year without fail.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2019   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations on the earth box score.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2019   #3
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Wow, EarthBox ‘s are expensive. Great score.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2019   #4
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Does homemade count ? I think Raybo out in california probably has oldest

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2019   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
I scored 7 used EBs today--for free! On nextdoor.com of all places, I happened upon a post that was almost a week old and thought for sure they were gone but I messaged the man anyways. Surprise, still there. So I rushed over today.
2 were about 5 yrs old, with casters. The other 5, to my surprise, were ones I had never seen before. The older gentleman said they were the first he bought about 15 yrs ago. They were heavy and built like Sherman tanks. The inner design was different so you have to lay down these grid-like things on the bottom so that the screen lays flat on them. He gave me enough of the covers to last me a lifetime and more, a shopping bag stuffed with new ones. He made his own platforms w/ casters for them too, so you can roll them anywhere. Pretty cool.
So now I'm wondering, who else here has these "vintage" EBs? The drain hole looks smaller, that is the only thing I am concerned about but the former owner said he grew corn every year without fail.
I scored 5 free Earthboxes from Nextdoor - they are the same old style that you have. They are solid! Are they really 15 years old? I will use them for the first time this year.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2019   #6
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Scott, the man looked to be around 78 to 80 at least, with a pretty sharp mind. That's what he said, that he thinks they are that old. My first EB is now 10 yrs old and showing signs of ageing. It is of thinner lighter material.
Old April 5, 2019   #7
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I think my oldest are about 7 years old, and seem no different from the newer ones, except for the colors. I now have bright green and purple. I would buy used for less in a heartbeat.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2019   #8
peebee
Tomatovillian™

You might find on craigslist but sometimes not very reasonable. You know they are out there, unused now but maybe people just forgot they are in the garage. Maybe yard sales, thrift stores...just have to keep looking. Not easy to find; I just got very lucky this time.
I bought one last week, used once (still had one new cover too) with the stand which is about $50 by itself, new (not worth that new price IMHO), both for $20 total. I didn't quibble about the price after I saw the pristine condition. But you can't beat free, even if old
Old April 6, 2019   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

What a score! I'm just a bit jealous.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2019   #10
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

do the old ones get brittle at all?
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2019   #11
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Scooty, the old ones are made of super thick plastic. They are so rigid, I can't imagine them getting warpy or brittle at least for another few years. But the younger ones, yes I have one that's 10 years old and the sides are misshapened a bit now. Kinda bulging if you know what I mean. But it's been outdoors this whole time so I have no complaints.
Old April 8, 2019   #12
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Excellent score.

Mine are not that old (5 years for the oldest) but I don't see any sign of wear. Mine are left outside all year; either used for growing or in the summer storing/solarizing the potting mix.

Some scratches on the inside but that is where I shoved the cage legs so definitely self induced.

I have other knock off troughs (more in the line of long EarthBox Juniors) and the edges are rubbing off.

I thought the originals growing Papaya trees in Florida were still around and about 25 years old.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2019   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Earthbox plastic is a special kind that doesn't degrade in the sun.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2019   #14
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Earthbox plastic is a special kind that doesn't degrade in the sun.
Yes they are built to last for sure :yes. The 10 yr old one that is misshapened looks like the sides stretched a bit but it doesn't affect performance at all. I'm going to plant strawberries in one tomorrow.
Old April 15, 2019   #15
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Peebee,
I checked with my sister in N.Y upstate. Hers are 16 yrs old. They have worked very well for her getting an early start on her Mortage lifters. They have withstood frozen temps and being neglected thru the winter and are still going this year.
Aloha
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote