Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 12, 2015   #1
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default Well, I'm stumped. Help identifying-please

I have been getting this for over a week. Got real bad on several plants so I pulled, but I still haven't figured it out. Maybe it's not serious. I have included 4 pics, which I didn't know I could do or I would have had a better leaf sample a few days back. Does anyone know what's going on with my tomatoes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003 (800x570).jpg (249.7 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg 002 (800x572).jpg (299.5 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg 001 (800x570).jpg (285.2 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg 004 (800x570).jpg (273.3 KB, 235 views)
Old June 12, 2015   #2
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Were these leaves on the ground? I wish I could help but I've never seen it before, probably a good precaution to pull them.

Last edited by Al@NC; June 12, 2015 at 01:12 AM.
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2015   #3
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

I have my bed mulched with bags of shredded hardwood mulch from Lowes
Old June 12, 2015   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

This to me looks like a classic case of leaves that were burned by spraying during the heat of the day. You should always spray only very early am, or late afternoon, because the sun will concentrate and fry the leaves if there is wet spray on them. Usually the plant will recover if that practice is discontinued.
I learned this lesson the hard way!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2015   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

What color is the mulch? it looks like it is burned to me either from the mulches chemical components (dyes, or even the type of mulch,,, like walnut) or heat burn from the sheer radiating heat from the sun if you have that black mulch. It is too hot for the plants. It looks nice but it is hard on the plants.
Pick off the leaves that are damaged and see if they come back. If they dont I would suspect the chemicals in the dye to be the culprit if there is dye in it.
Old June 12, 2015   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default My sister lives in Mckeesport PA.

She is having same symptoms and and her County AG station gave her this link.She called it cercospora leaf mold(not spot).Some of its cousins will carry over in seed coat.Also called black leaf mold.

http://nfrec.ifas.ufl.edu/paret/u-sc...leaf_spot.html
Old June 12, 2015   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

That doesn't look like leaf mold to me. I have some already in my greenhouse on the potted tomatoes and it starts as a light spot not a black mark that looks like tar.
Old June 12, 2015   #8
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

To me, it looks like some type of burn. Either from something applied to their foliage or absorbed from the soil.

Can you tell us if you have sprayed anything on your plants, or could they have been affected by a neighbor spraying something?

Honestly, it looks similar to what happened to some of my container plants when I over fertilized one year.
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #9
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
She is having same symptoms and and her County AG station gave her this link.She called it cercospora leaf mold(not spot).Some of its cousins will carry over in seed coat.Also called black leaf mold.

http://nfrec.ifas.ufl.edu/paret/u-sc...leaf_spot.html
BINGO! I checked out your link. It is 100% Cercospora leaf spot. Every picture was a match, even the one with the yellow spots, which I saw on some of the plants I tossed earlier in the week. It was really going to town, so I pulled all the remaining infected plants and will recheck the remainder tomorrow.

Thanks for the link. I could have been looking right at my tomatoes, the pictures were such a match. I looked it up in my book I have here, once I knew what it was and sure enough, it was in there. Thanks so much.
Old June 13, 2015   #10
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

I realize that the pics, I posted weren't an exact match to the website, but other leaves were and they were a good match to my disease book.
Old June 13, 2015   #11
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Looks like Bacterial Canker to me.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #12
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default These guys can help for free in your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsgarden1958 View Post
BINGO! I checked out your link. It is 100% Cercospora leaf spot. Every picture was a match, even the one with the yellow spots, which I saw on some of the plants I tossed earlier in the week. It was really going to town, so I pulled all the remaining infected plants and will recheck the remainder tomorrow.

Thanks for the link. I could have been looking right at my tomatoes, the pictures were such a match. I looked it up in my book I have here, once I knew what it was and sure enough, it was in there. Thanks so much.

We have a real good Agricultural Department here in Miami Dade county.Here is the one my friends/family use in PA.

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/mast...egheny/hotline

Last edited by kurt; June 13, 2015 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Spelin
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #13
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsgarden1958 View Post

Cecil, you must have a couple of things going on because the photos you posted above are not Pseudocercospora fuligena. Fungal infections are not limited to the leaf margins as shown in your photos, they are spread randomly over the leaf surface. Here is a link that better describes the progression of Cercospora Leaf Spot. Note how the spots are random on the leaf surface rather than entirely along the margins.

What your photos are showing is likely systemic, something more akin to fertilizer/salt/chemical burn or Bacterial Canker, as mentioned above.

Good luck
Steve

Last edited by Heritage; June 13, 2015 at 01:13 PM.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #14
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Cecil, you must have a couple of things going on because the photos you posted above are not Pseudocercospora fuligena. Fungal infections are not limited to the leaf margins as shown in your photos, they are spread randomly over the leaf surface. Here is a link that better describes the progression of Cercospora Leaf Spot. Note how the spots are random on the leaf surface rather than entirely along the margins.

What your photos are showing is likely systemic, something more akin to fertilizer/salt/chemical burn or Bacterial Canker, as mentioned above.

Good luck
Steve
Well, I only need one thing at a time. I guess I could have burned the leaves too or the cats could have sprayed them, but most of the leaves (of which I threw away earlier) matched Cercospora Leaf Spot (mold). Anyway, everything has been destroyed. Is there anything I can do to that spot of soil so it doesn't come back or spread? Bleach maybe? Baking Soda?