Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 7, 2015   #16
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

try planting arugula seed sometime, they are no larger than a spec of fine ground pepper. I mixed some seed up with a pinch of fine pulverized lime and mixed it up. The small black seed specs appeared to be fairly well mixed, so i just tapped out a thin line of the white powder back and forth across my seed tray. It worked pretty good, not perfect, but they were easy enough to seperate when I transplanted.
I tried mixing carrot seed (which is massive in comparison to arugula) with fine dry sand, but the carrot seed always ended up together no matter how i tried to mix them.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #17
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
people make their own seed mats with the super tiny seeds - like carrots. Using toilet paper and a dab of elmers glue. So you do it in the comfort of a dining table instead of outdoors/windy/dirty/hot/ cold conditions.
I use surgical forceps to plant things like tomatoes, peppers and brassicas. For the itty bitty carrot seeds I mix with radish seed and a little sand. I was just thinking yesterday that I may try a planting strip with glue and toilet paper.
I tend to grow little seed plants in patches rather than straight rows. Lettuce, kale, carrots,amaranth, get broadcasted instead of fussing around with straight lines.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #18
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I made a tiny spoon out of aluminum can material. Tin snips make the general shape (whatever size you want, or several sizes, even - maybe double-ended?) then I used a rounded small dowel and hammer on a padded surface (rubber mat or pile of newsprint) to create the scoop indentation. It works well for those mid-sized seed like spinach that are still too small for my fat fingers, but too big for the wet stick approach. You could have several sizes, one for each seed size, that will just hold one seed of that size.
Old March 9, 2015   #19
peppero
Tomatovillian™

NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF INVENTION.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #20
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

I love the invention process of all of y'all! Being a NEWBIE I have not had the time to try my mind on things like this. Although I did Waste a lot of it in College! ; = ) Beale.
EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote