Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 19, 2007   #1
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Default New leaves looking feathery and jagged...

I planted out on April 24th. so I got a pretty good start for this area. My Marianna's Peace and Polish (Ellis) are already over 5' tall and the Brandy Boys, Big Zacs and Bucks County are not far behind. The stockiest shortest plants are the Bucks Counties but they have prenty of fruits. Bringing up the rear as far as plant size are New Yorker, Ugly and Goose Creek. Over the past 10 days or so I've been noticing that the new leaves look odd in that they are feathery and jagged looking. The edges almost look ruffled. As they grow they have a more geometric look almost like a holly leaf. They are pointier than the lower leaves and definitely have a different shape. Whatever is causing this does not seem to be affecting the plants vigor but I have noticed a fair anount of blossom drop in the last few days. I will try to take some pics but my BH has the digital camera with them on a trip and I won't get it back till next week. I'm thinking this is something enviromental as it is affecting all of my plants, both the PL and RL varieties. Any ideas?
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2007   #2
dice
Tomatovillian™

I had some plants do that after turning on the drip
hose and letting it run all night, then the next day
the weather turned and it was cold and rainy for
the next week, so the soil stayed very wet.

I haven't needed to water since, and the plants with
those symptoms seem to have recovered.

So my best guess would be too much water.

(The feathery looking leaves mostly stayed that
way, but the new growth after that looks normal.)
Old June 20, 2007   #3
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

That would be a similar situation to what happened here. We just got heavy rain last night as well. I'll lay off the water for awhile. Thanks.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote