Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 6, 2006   #1
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Default Not really a container, but...

I'd like also to tell you one interesting thing about growing
tomatoes in the old leaky buckets from steel. I've just red a small article from one Russian gardener who use this technology during last 3 years and have double or even triple crop from such tomatoes grown in such buckets inside greenhouse. They have 1.5-2 times bigger
fruits as well.
He thought it is because of the same high temperature of soil near all the tomato roots inside such iron bucket while usual soil temperature even inside greenhouse is much lower than air temperature (this difference could be even 10-15 degrees C) and good air condition
for the roots because of holes in the bucket's bottom...

I will certainly try this method this year in my greenhouses for some tomato varieties just to compare with normal way of growing...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2006   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Andrey-One winter in my hobby greenhouse, I used black plastic grow bags for the same reason. They seemed to keep the soil/roots warm. I didnt this year, because I started the plants when it was still quite warm outside and didnt need the extra warmth. We really have not had much of a winter here-its been unusually warm. Michael
Old February 11, 2006   #3
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

andrey,

Didn't that guy say he was growing 2-3 to a container?

Don
Old February 11, 2006   #4
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Not really a container, but.. warm soil temps

Andre and others,
Here in the high desert of the southwest (5400 ft elev) it is not unusual to have day temps in the low 100's and then have the night temps drop into the high 40's and low 50's that night.
I use the discarded black plastic buckets (2gal to 30gal capacity) that I get from my local nursery and have no problems with excessive heat buildup during the day. At night, the heated soil slowly releases the heat, keeping the plants somewhat warmer.
My "spudleaf ladies " seem to thrive in this environment and pump out lots of big fruit.

I'll have to bury a probe from an inside/outside digital thermometer about 6 inches deep in the soil in one of the containers and track the daily night temps inside and outside the containers for the summer.

(Just what I need is another project along with the 15 crosses I am doing this year). I'll post the data in the fall for all to see.

Regards,
Spud
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote