Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 2, 2017   #181
gggeek
Tomatovillian™

Will keep an eye on your 2017 progress. Also in Greenville SC and can relate to your tomato disease and squash vine borer experience. Without the snow and freezing temps like the northern states its a challenge to keep pest and disease at bay!

For squash I've found it best to plant early and then keep succession plantings going to replace plants as the borers get them. Yellow sticky traps are great to help you know when the buggers are around.
Old March 7, 2017   #182
Gin3ll
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting your experiences. I love your garden, you are a real source of information.
Gin3ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #183
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin3ll View Post
Thanks for posting your experiences. I love your garden, you are a real source of information.
Thanks! I enjoy sharing it, most people dont get the whole farming obsession.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #184
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

First market was today. Pretty day but windy. Even after losing 160 something plants to frost we had a decent amount to bring and the only others selling tomatoes had little tiny ones. Was a great day and we doubled our first day sales from last year and got lots of good feedback. Here some pics.
Old April 1, 2017   #185
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Way to go guys. I also sold tomato plants today at a farmers market sponsored craft sale. Got about the same prices (actually $4.00 each or 3 for $10). The price break for quantity made for more than half of the sales. Dwarfs were quite popular. Most people had never heard of them. Will do it again tomorrow.
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #186
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad to hear that you had such a great first day! A 50% increase is terrific.

P.S. The family looks healthy and happy this year. A true blessing.
Old April 2, 2017   #187
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Great job, BVV. Your family looks happy and healthy.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #188
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
Way to go guys. I also sold tomato plants today at a farmers market sponsored craft sale. Got about the same prices (actually $4.00 each or 3 for $10). The price break for quantity made for more than half of the sales. Dwarfs were quite popular. Most people had never heard of them. Will do it again tomorrow.
We sell the small ones for 3$ and the medium for 5$ and 3/4 gallon for 8$. We also do the discount on a purchase of 5. It took me awhile to figure out the best price for our market. We're​ going back to the smaller market this year and will have to sell at different prices there. The bulk discounts definitely motivate people to buy more.

Our best improvement this year has been advertising. I really focused on it this winter and it appears to be paying off big time. We built a website, blog, flyers, business cards, Facebook page, and got our website in the market weekly newsletter. Once we develop a stronger customer base and if I can get a high tunnel I feel like I could make enough to quit my day job and go full time in another year or 2.
Old April 2, 2017   #189
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
We sell the small ones for 3$ and the medium for 5$ and 3/4 gallon for 8$. We also do the discount on a purchase of 5. It took me awhile to figure out the best price for our market. We're​ going back to the smaller market this year and will have to sell at different prices there. The bulk discounts definitely motivate people to buy more.

Our best improvement this year has been advertising. I really focused on it this winter and it appears to be paying off big time. We built a website, blog, flyers, business cards, Facebook page, and got our website in the market weekly newsletter. Once we develop a stronger customer base and if I can get a high tunnel I feel like I could make enough to quit my day job and go full time in another year or 2.
Good times at the market. You have that springtime happy face pasted on.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #190
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Lol yeah, come July I'll be wondering wth I was thinking wanting to try farming in this climate. Then over winter​ I'll get recharged and do it again.
Old April 12, 2017   #191
gggeek
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
First market was today. Pretty day but windy. Even after losing 160 something plants to frost we had a decent amount to bring and the only others selling tomatoes had little tiny ones. Was a great day and we doubled our first day sales from last year and got lots of good feedback. Here some pics.
Are you still selling pepper starts? Lost my entire pepper tray to a bird! Not sure what markets you sell at here in Greenville.
Old April 12, 2017   #192
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yes, we have early jalapenos, banana peppers, carolina reaper, and I have a few extra chocolate habanero and white bullet hab left. We only sell at Hub City Farmers Market right now, or you can pick up at our house by appointment. Just pm me if you want to try and work something out.
Old April 13, 2017   #193
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Oh and Ancho.
Old April 13, 2017   #194
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Great family pics. Sounds like you are off to a good start.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #195
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Things are moving along. Markets have all been good and a few were great. I'm in the black already and have finished all the paperwork for the EQUIP high tunnel program. I'm really stoked about how much this could help me get to the profits I need to go full time.

The process has been really simple and all they people I've dealt with are really good folks. It almost seems to good to be true. Here are some garden pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170528_161826-resized-960.jpg (189.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20170526_134810-resized-960.jpg (155.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 20170526_134521-resized-960.jpg (366.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 20170526_134456-resized-960.jpg (356.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20170526_134313-resized-960.jpg (325.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 20170526_134302-resized-960.jpg (302.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20170526_133620-resized-960.jpg (342.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20170526_133419-resized-960.jpg (329.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20170522_174152-resized-960.jpg (214.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20170522_174128-resized-960.jpg (267.4 KB, 79 views)