Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 23, 2014   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default What to do with pepper powders?

I am drying and powdering lots of different peppers - using them for meat rubs, but I wanted to hear some creative ideas on how to use these powders. The Bombay Morich powder - dusted lightly on the end of one finger - brought a strong man to his knees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_1img_2288.jpg (145.8 KB, 276 views)
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #2
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Great selection of powders!
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I made some with a mixture of heirloom Italian cayenne's and Peruvian chilies. It's very flavourful and quite hot. I am not really sure what else to so with it except use it as I would cayenne powder so I am interested in the responses in this thread to give me some ideas as well. Thanks for posting.

The "dry" jar blender of my vitamix did a great job of grinding the peppers into a nice fine powder.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I use ancho and poblano powders in chile. I grind chiltepans and use them like pizza pepper.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #5
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Wouldn't the answer lie in the nationality or region of the cuisine...unless you want to get into medicinal, or gardening applications. For example, in an ointment for muscle pain to name just one. To aid digestion and blood flow. In tisane with other herbs and spices. In a liquid solution for protection ...in a squirt bottle. Long known by postmen. As paprika, pepper powder by another name or garam masala.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #6
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I use it like I would cayenne, to spice things up. To increase heat in salsa, or enchilada sauce. You could make a chile powder. I make jerk sauce and add it to chicken or beef gravy and instead of using as a marinade, I BBQ chicken, then let it soak in gravy at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. I also love it over fries, yum! I use fresh scotch bonnets though you could use the powder. I also make a lemon drop hot sauce that's pretty good. Both the jerk and the lemon drop sauces can be used in bloody mary's.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ce-recipe.html

For jerk sauce I use my own recipe, never wrote it down. All on the net are just not right.
You need allspice, nutmeg, and a touch of ginger, most add way too much! Also no cinnamon! Peanut oil or canola is supposed to be used. i use fruty olive oil. Brown sugar, fresh thyme, garlic. You need super hot scotch bonnets. the only ones that fit the bill for me are chocolate ones. Also scallions. Other ingredients to me ruin it. Allspice berries are best, and cooking with green allspice wood would make it authentic.
As far as portions this recipe is OK, except you need more peppers 4-6 peppers. and black pepper super fine is OK, again no cinnamon!! No lime!! I have been to Jamaica 4 times, and mine tastes like or close to the stuff there, the roadside 55 gallon drum cookers. do not use soy sauce or catsup!
http://www.islands.com/articles/best...can-jerk-sauce
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #7
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I use 4-5 different chile powders for making chili. Try making blends out of them, too.
Garbanzo beans roasted with chili, cumin garlic and powdered lime is a huge favorite snack for us. Could try using all sorts of chili powder for various flavors.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #8
lavanta
Tomatovillian™

Those would make a deadly chili that I don't think anyone could eat. You could make Trinidad hot sauce from Scotch Bonnets and Jalapeños with Mango. I don't even know how hot the other ones are, but they look deadly.
lavanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2014   #9
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Looking good Scott!

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2014   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post

For jerk sauce I use my own recipe, never wrote it down. All on the net are just not right.
You need allspice, nutmeg, and a touch of ginger, most add way too much! Also no cinnamon! Peanut oil or canola is supposed to be used. i use fruty olive oil. Brown sugar, fresh thyme, garlic. You need super hot scotch bonnets. the only ones that fit the bill for me are chocolate ones. Also scallions. Other ingredients to me ruin it. Allspice berries are best, and cooking with green allspice wood would make it authentic.
As far as portions this recipe is OK, except you need more peppers 4-6 peppers. and black pepper super fine is OK, again no cinnamon!! No lime!! I have been to Jamaica 4 times, and mine tastes like or close to the stuff there, the roadside 55 gallon drum cookers. do not use soy sauce or catsup!
http://www.islands.com/articles/best...can-jerk-sauce

Drew -- thanks for this. I grew a red scotch bonnet on a whim this year from seeds someone had sent me when I did an SASE offer of tomato seeds. The plant was quite content in it's three gallon pot and ended up producing a quart of peppers. I had found that recipe for Jerk Sauce to use them in, but was questioning all the questionable ingredients...

I just made six recipes worth, leaving out the soy sauce, lime juice, ketchup, and cinnamon, as you suggested, and only putting in 1/4 of the brown sugar called for (after tasting it without I decided to put in just a little). And I used five peppers per recipe.

The flavor before the burn comes on is absolutely amazing! My husband dipped the tip of a spoon in to sample it before I jarred it up for the fridge, and he was wowed by it as well.

I guess Scotch Bonnets have found a permanent home in my garden!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2014   #11
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Drew -- thanks for this. I grew a red scotch bonnet on a whim this year from seeds someone had sent me when I did an SASE offer of tomato seeds. The plant was quite content in it's three gallon pot and ended up producing a quart of peppers. I had found that recipe for Jerk Sauce to use them in, but was questioning all the questionable ingredients...

I just made six recipes worth, leaving out the soy sauce, lime juice, ketchup, and cinnamon, as you suggested, and only putting in 1/4 of the brown sugar called for (after tasting it without I decided to put in just a little). And I used five peppers per recipe.

The flavor before the burn comes on is absolutely amazing! My husband dipped the tip of a spoon in to sample it before I jarred it up for the fridge, and he was wowed by it as well.

I guess Scotch Bonnets have found a permanent home in my garden!
One show I watched recently showed a cook from Jamaica prepping Jerk. He said that he used the peppers whole to get the flavor without so much of the burn.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2014   #12
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Very cool! Yeah that's what the stuff in Jamaica tastes like and it is fantastic. Some variations exist from region to region. Anyway i fell in love with tha flavor, it is very unique.
I have some reds I was going to try next year. Looks like they worked for you!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2014   #13
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

If the Hot Lemon is similar to/the same as Lemon Drop, the powder really gives a unique flavor to Mexican bean and rice dishes. My recipe includes garlic, cumin, oregano and chile powder, and the Lemon Drop powder plays really well with them. Haven't tried it in any other Mexican dishes, but I'm guessing it'll go well.

Since I have plenty of Lemon Drop powder, today I made Lemon Drop Hot Sauce -- really hot, but really tasty.

Today I also finished drying and grinding the Pepperoncini peppers I grew. Attempts to pickle them were failures. I haven't figured out what to use it for, but it smells really good.

I also have a good stash of Red Cayenne powder and flakes. These get used in Italian dishes.

The remainder of my hot peppers are going to be smoked and turned into hot sauce using the Master Hot Sauce Recipe from Epicurious.com.

Before growing all these hot peppers, I used to be a real whimp when it came to hot foods. Now that I'm learning to appreciate all the unique flavors of the peppers, I'm actually enjoying foods with quite a bit more kick.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2014   #14
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I don't really grow the super hot peppers, I do make a bunch of paper powder, both hot and sweet. If I find the hot powder too hot, I cut it with some sweet, like Jimmy Nardello. That said, I cannot imagine my breakfast eggs without a generous sprinkle of red powder, and some goes into almost everything I cook. Not enough that my wife won't eat it, but just enough to boost the flavor. And buttered popcorn is especially nice with pepper powder added.
Old September 29, 2014   #15
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

I sell ghost pepper powder to one of the bakers at one of my farmer's markets- she uses it in chocolate chip cookies.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote