Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old February 6, 2014   #16
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Out of curiosity I checked this Neptune's garden stuff.
5 gallons of 2-3-1 costs 143 $?
What am I missing here? Isn't that expensive? Why are liquid ferts so outrageously much?

I mean, OMRi approved chicken manure 4-4-4 costs 15 euro 25 kilos (55 lbs).
2-3-1...that's the fish-seaweed blend?
How come the fish products from neptunes harvest have such a npk?
I thought fish contained something like 5-2-2.
Itoero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2014   #17
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Out of curiosity I checked this Neptune's garden stuff.
5 gallons of 2-3-1 costs 143 $?
What am I missing here? Isn't that expensive? Why are liquid ferts so outrageously much?

I mean, OMRi approved chicken manure 4-4-4 costs 15 euro 25 kilos (55 lbs).
What are you growing? if you are buying from them it is crazy. the small one are $14 in stores. And in the the website of them is $25.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2014   #18
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I didn't buy anything from them, was just wondering why it is so expensive, and in general organic liquid ferts are very expensive.
That price is from their website. Note that it is 5 gallons not 1.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2014   #19
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

They don't really sell from the website, its double what sells in stores.They don't sell to box stores either, only small garden stores. This store here in North Charleston S.C has 5 gal's and the one 1 qt, I asked them who use's 5 gal's? He said school for the football grass, they love it . You can call them about who has it around you, for 1 gal of water i use only 1/4 cup. It is the best and will be in the ground for years, and worm's love it. Buy it know the fish are not like they were 2 yrs ago, many are selling there boats, They said this year it would be hard to make a lot, it was $12 2 years ago now $15 for a qt.We lived only 5 mile from Gloucester Ma, moved to S.C 6 month's ago

Last edited by FILMNET; February 6, 2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old February 7, 2014   #20
pmurf09
Tomatovillian™

you need kelp.
pmurf09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2014   #21
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itoero View Post
2-3-1...that's the fish-seaweed blend?
How come the fish products from neptunes harvest have such a npk?
I thought fish contained something like 5-2-2.
The NPK analysis is different in Europe from North America. The NPK in Europe represents total NPK, the NPK in N. America represents only available NPK.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2014   #22
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

I will tell you very possible 5-10 years there will no fish for neptunes harvest to make this.The fish in North ocean's have not been growing right, so the fishermen can only have 1/2 fish in the ships, So most are are sell there ships.

And anyone who use's it, they love it.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...UFO/story.html

Last edited by FILMNET; February 7, 2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old February 8, 2014   #23
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
The NPK analysis is different in Europe from North America. The NPK in Europe represents total NPK, the NPK in N. America represents only available NPK.
I can't seem to find an explanation of what available NPK means. Does it mean NPK that will actually be usable, or what? I thought if it's organic than all of it should be usable.
If that's the case then the european NPK sucks. It could mean very different efficiency among fertilizers with same NPK.
Old February 8, 2014   #24
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Complicated. I see look the other fish fertlizer from Alaska which Home Depot sells. Different NPK, and not Organic.
Old February 8, 2014   #25
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I can't seem to find an explanation of what available NPK means. Does it mean NPK that will actually be usable, or what? I thought if it's organic than all of it should be usable.
If that's the case then the european NPK sucks. It could mean very different efficiency among fertilizers with same NPK.
It can be complicated to understand because there are different laws and different testing procedures that will yield different a NPK analysis for the same fertilizer.
"available NPK" is the soluble form of a nutrient that a plant can absorb directly through the roots. Synthetic fertilizers are primarily made up of all nutrients in available form as chemical salts and sometimes a portion may be in time release form. That doesn't mean your plants will utilize all the fertilizer you apply to the soil since a large percentage may leach away, be used by microbes, may combine with other elements in the soil and become insoluble or be tied up in clay or organic particles.

This article explains NPK labeling pretty well:
AGRICULTURAL FERTILIZERS: NITROGEN, POTASSIUM, AND PHOSPHORUS

Because NPK analysis is represented as a percentage by weight, what you are getting in actual nutrient value may also be deceiving. Epsoma explains Reading & Comparing
Plant Food Labels

Organic fertilizers are a more complicated matter, by nature they contain a portion of nutrients in plant available form but also contain even more nutrients in insoluble form will to be broken down by soil life over time before plants can utilize them.
The main thing I learned from working with organics is don't get all hung up on NPK analysis, just understand how nature works to fertilize plants and use that knowledge to best make it work for you.

If you are comparing two products make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Fish hydrolysate and Fish Emulsion are two different things with very different NPK among other things.

Here's some more interesting reading on NPK confusion. Both Biobizz and House and Garden had to severely understate their NPK analysis for labels on their products sold in the USA. Same exact products sold in Europe and USA, different labeling.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=22135

Why have the NPK numbers changed on House & Garden products?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2014   #26
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Cheers, useful info.
Old February 11, 2014   #27
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Default Neptunes Harvest locations who sell it.

http://www.neptunesharvest.com/retaillocator.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 5.jpg (157 Bytes, 57 views)
Old February 11, 2014   #28
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 5.jpg (157 Bytes, 57 views)
Old February 12, 2014   #29
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i buy a gallon locally for about $32-$38, i forget the exact cost. a gallon of concentrate lasts me 1.5 to 2 years in a 1200 sq ft garden. i suppose drying chicken manure is less intensive than making concentrated fish emulsion tho both would stink to high heaven! dried chicken isn't too strong but NH, just try to keep it off your hands! you quote euros, i assumed you were in the states, not sure what things cost or if available in europe.

tom
One gallon on Ozbo for $25.38. I would use nothing else in certain cases - when I pot up seedlings, I give them a diluted drink of this, and man do they do love it. Growth just takes off.

http://ozbo.com/Hf191-Hydrolized-Fis...l#.UvtFo4UjZ8o
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2014   #30
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

that's a good price but no seaweed in it, this is what i buy http://ozbo.com/Fs191-Fish-Seaweed-B...l#.UvvQ9bQr-wc and the price is basically the same as local. if shipping were free then it's cheaper cuz there's ct sales tax.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote