Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 10, 2017   #286
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
So if I were to go to Dale's site I would find you there as the current World Record Holder?

But I'd need your real name, not your user name to be able to do that.

So please PM me your real name, you do say you are from Washington state.

Your pictures are very good so would it be easier for you to have someone take a picture of you holding your certificate, or better still another close up of your certificate so everyone can read it.

Look,I'm not trying to be difficult about this , not at all,I just want to know what's what in case someone asks again, and I can point them to you.

After all credit is due to those who deserve it IMO.

Carolyn

That is Dan himself, he's got the same screen name on the big pumpkin site too. Here's one of his other monsters.
http://www.bigpumpkins.com/msgboard/...?b=33&p=608787
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #287
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations on the big fella. I find it interesting and fascinating
to a point. Especially Peter Glazebrook...
https://www.google.com/search?q=Pete...w=1280&bih=735

Anyone gardening is manipulating conditions to get the best for the season you have to
deal with. Heck, I grew a cotton ball and a single okra once. Just wanted
to see the plant.

Going big is extreme manipulation and a great hobby for some. I personally
prefer quality over size/pounds per plant. I'll just enjoy the big ones from my chair/screen.

I pinch all megablooms unless it happens on a plant that I have multiples of.
Or just so unusual I want to see the one or two grow and see what happens...
more a curiosity.

Even Marvin Meisner says, “high temperatures during the tomato-growing phase result in smaller tomatoes”
because the warmth speeds ripening. We’ll have to adapt our varieties and technique—or start
competing for the world’s tiniest tomato.
(I already hold that record, lol)
https://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/g...nster-tomatoes

Manipulation by controlled environments like a greenhouse is not at all similar to a
gardener growing in a field or backyard for food/pleasure with a challenging cold/wet
early Springs and a brief cold/wet late August summer.

Not calling BS or textbook vs 'I proved you wrong'...always a
manipulated exception. Certain varieties/saved seed will do that.

My local roadside farm market has all their biggies on display...
pumpkins, squash, etc.
Even the UnionSquareMarket In NYC has farmers displaying their
biggie tomatoes on a pedestal. Hard to resist viewing up close.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #288
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
But what World Record and I ask b/c this is the current World Record, certified by Guinness

http://www.worldrecordacademy.com/na...rd_214064.html

Several times I have suggested that folks interested in BIG tomatoes go to Dale Thurber's website and look at the section on BIG tomatoes.

Have any of you done that?

The link to Dale's site is here at Tville in the plant and seed Forum.

Carolyn
It is common Knowledge with those of us who are involved, and Dales site is not the end all, trust me. No more comment from me, because it will do no good.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #289
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
The current world record is 8.61 lbs which is mine, I have the certificate from Guinness to prove it.
Amazing work. Clearly the proof is in the tomatoes you have grown and will continue to grow. Your book would be an interesting read and I hope you get more respect in future from everyone.
I also hope you can top your own record, I believe you will.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #290
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Growing giant competition tomatoes is not for everyone. There is a dedicated group of growers that are proven experts and share their seeds and knowledge elsewhere. As good as it is, Tville is not the primary message board for these growers. At one time there was talk of a special forum here for them, but it came to naught. We could learn a lot from giant competition tomato fans about manipulating growth, if only for curiosities sake. In the Growers Diaries section over at BigPumpkins, growers have excellent pictures and record keeping on their seasonal progress for all kinds of giant vegetables.

I'm a bit appalled that one of the most successful growers in that community is being asked to prove anything here. Kind of a poor welcome.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #291
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I know that Dan's entry was a new world record and here's a picture of it if there hasn't been one already shown

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/Dia...asp?eid=265138

So congratulations Dan.

And how did I get to the Big Pumpkin,squash,tomato site?

I've known about it for a very long time and knew that if it wasn't at Dale's site the info would be at the Big Pumpkin site,and it was.

The other site I put up was way out of date, that I know now. I should have used different entry words in my Google foray.

If I never made any errors, I would NOT be human and yes I know I'm human since recently I wanted to go to a site where I had once been but told I had to reregister. So check,no,I am not a robot, then please click on all the squares within the larger square that show automobiles, etc, and then when that was done, choose a new password, no that is too long, select another one.

So I'm back in but don't know if I'll ever go there again.

Carolyn
Old November 10, 2017   #292
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Growing giant competition tomatoes is not for everyone. There is a dedicated group of growers that are proven experts and share their seeds and knowledge elsewhere. As good as it is, Tville is not the primary message board for these growers. At one time there was talk of a special forum here for them, but it came to naught. We could learn a lot from giant competition tomato fans about manipulating growth, if only for curiosities sake. In the Growers Diaries section over at BigPumpkins, growers have excellent pictures and record keeping on their seasonal progress for all kinds of giant vegetables.

I'm a bit appalled that one of the most successful growers in that community is being asked to prove anything here. Kind of a poor welcome.
Dee,please see my post above and some explanations.

We used to have a Forum here, yes a Forum, for growing large tomatoes and yes Marv Meissner participated, he who wrote the book on how to grow big ones and I forget the name of the person who was involved who held things together.

I only found about about Dan this AM,so that's why I came over here to congratulate him as I just did.

Most world record holders for anything don't usually post at message sites, at least the several where I have in been in the past,although there have been a few in the past, no longer active here.

Again,please look at my original post to Dan where I said;

(Look,I'm not trying to be difficult about this , not at all,I just want to know what's what in case someone asks again, and I can point them to you.

After all credit is due to those who deserve it IMO.)

Q.E.D.

Carolyn
Old November 10, 2017   #293
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
We used to have a Forum here, yes a Forum, for growing large tomatoes and yes Marv Meissner participated, he who wrote the book on how to grow big ones and I forget the name of the person who was involved who held things together.
From what I remember, it was PA_Julia who posted most frequently and enthusiastically about growing competition tomatoes, and she along with a few others, suggested Mischka create a dedicated Giants forum, but it never happened. No wonder then, that the competition growers found a more suitable place to discuss giants.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #294
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
From what I remember, it was PA_Julia who posted most frequently and enthusiastically about growing competition tomatoes, and she along with a few others, suggested Mischka create a dedicated Giants forum, but it never happened. No wonder then, that the competition growers found a more suitable place to discuss giants.
I went back to try and track some items and did I ever get a surprise b/c this is the very same thread that was not only started by Akmark but is the very same thread where Julia was posting a lot and Lubadub,Marv Meissner was giving tips to others and helping a lot

So yes, Dee, it was PA-Julia and she only recently returned to Tville

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43205

Carolyn
Old November 10, 2017   #295
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And I forgot to mention that this thread was the very first sticky that Mischka put up in General Discussion, take a look and you'll see that.I had forgotten that myself, so it was M who made it a sticky for all, so no one asked him to do so.

Carolyn
Old November 10, 2017   #296
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

I guess I've been reminded why I don't post here to much,yikes. I've been out of cell coverage for the day,I just got home. First,no one owes me an apology ,I think things could have been done in a more positive way, I appreciate those that are quick to apologize, I greatly respect you for that,and if I have offended anyone I'm sorry please forgive me! Now onto a little info, I grew the 8.61 world record last year when I lived in waitsburg Washington, we moved to walla walla last fall ,so these 4 seven lbers were grown at the new place,totally different growing conditions, in waitsburg I'd built the soil up for 17 years and also we lived in a valley of the mountains so much shorter days and cooler temperatures, wasn't sure how it was going to go with longer days and 10 to 15 degrees warmer in walla walla, and then on top of ,this year was the hottest I can remember, many days over a hundred degrees,it was a tough year,one of the growers on the other forum said that no one has ever grown more than one 7 lber in their life time, so to grow 4 in one year and the world record last year is amazing to me,though I've been growing tomatoes for 40 some years,I've only been competing for two years,and now I'm just getting started with the winter indoor grow challenge, which I also have the record in that. There's a lot of interest this year in the indoor winter challenge, if anyone is interested go over to bigpumpkins.com and sign up, should be exciting this year.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #297
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

You don't owe anyone an apology, do what you do and it will all fall into place. We all know TV isn't about growing giant tomatoes so you bring something new for all of us to learn from. Just like Marv, he chimes in here every once in a while. You might be surprised how many of us are part of BP too, after all we're all growing tomatoes!!!!!

And I wanna say Thanks to AKmark for starting this thread and Miska for making it a sticky. We can all learn to grow better, even if you're not growing for a world record.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #298
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I called it! This should turn into an interesting thread! And it has already, except me screwing up the middle of it. I'm generally a skeptic, not believing until I see it. All megabloom seeds I have grown are duds
. You have proved otherwise. I'm thinking inside the box instead of outside. Nice Work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
I guess I've been reminded why I don't post here to much,yikes. I've been out of cell coverage for the day,I just got home. First,no one owes me an apology ,I think things could have been done in a more positive way, I appreciate those that are quick to apologize, I greatly respect you for that,and if I have offended anyone I'm sorry please forgive me! Now onto a little info, I grew the 8.61 world record last year when I lived in waitsburg Washington, we moved to walla walla last fall ,so these 4 seven lbers were grown at the new place,totally different growing conditions, in waitsburg I'd built the soil up for 17 years and also we lived in a valley of the mountains so much shorter days and cooler temperatures, wasn't sure how it was going to go with longer days and 10 to 15 degrees warmer in walla walla, and then on top of ,this year was the hottest I can remember, many days over a hundred degrees,it was a tough year,one of the growers on the other forum said that no one has ever grown more than one 7 lber in their life time, so to grow 4 in one year and the world record last year is amazing to me,though I've been growing tomatoes for 40 some years,I've only been competing for two years,and now I'm just getting started with the winter indoor grow challenge, which I also have the record in that. There's a lot of interest this year in the indoor winter challenge, if anyone is interested go over to bigpumpkins.com and sign up, should be exciting this year.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #299
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

For what it's worth, Dan (biscuit), I must say congrats on the record. I remember when the record was the (approximately) 7 pound 'Delicious' tomato, which, if I recall correctly, held the record for something like 30 years.. and I remember thinking to myself not all that long ago, that that record would probably hold for at least another couple decades..

.. and here we are, you've got a record for well over 8 pounds! Well done sir!

Whatever it is you've been doing, it's working. Keep it up!
Old November 11, 2017   #300
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Here's the proof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171110_225030.jpg (261.2 KB, 139 views)
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote