Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 12, 2017   #1351
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Bower said
Quote:
I watched my outdoor tomatoes turn into a collection of all the tomato diseases... yow. We had it so easy this summer, very dry.
That made me laugh. 'Overnight', my friend said about the powdery mildew I spotted in her green house on the weekend. Not really funny, I know, but that is how it happens. Slightly cooler nights and I have one plant with grey mold killing one stem. To be expected toward season's end as conditions change.

Our rains haven't started yet, just a few sprinkles. Hasn't been great mushroom weather here either. Other dry years I have seen yellowed patches of moss in the woods and expect more of that this year, too bad. Not enough recovery time between the dry years. When the weather cools a bit I like to do the mushroom woods walks.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2017   #1352
bower
Tomatovillian™

So true, Coastal.
The only difference for us this year, we didn't have any "fall" weather during the summer.
It is interesting to see the different susceptibilities coming out all at once. Grey mold on some, early blight on others. A number of plants had their tops and leaf tips blighted by I know not what as well. Brown slick and dead. There has been some mildew, but scanty since it was really quite dry until the tropical stream kicked in. The diseases are there just waiting for their moment, and they know it's coming eventually.... fall!

Sorry to hear you're in a multi-year dry spell for the mushrooms. Scary amount of fires in BC, I have been watching it on the news all summer.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2017   #1353
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Not multi-year dryness (yet!) but not enough wet years in between droughts to rejuvenate the forest floor.
Lots of beetle killed wood still standing in the interior makes for lots of fuel. With all the fires there this year perhaps enough of that fuel load will be gone to prevent such wide spread fires next season. Many people were evacuated from their homes and towns. Smoke went from the fires to Alberta and to the coast which reduced the heat for a week or so as it obscured the sun like a cloudy day but with orange tinted light. Washington State also contributes to our smoke scene. It's been like a nice winter's day around here with all the wood stoves so close in town.
Rain is bound to come. Last year we had double the normal amount in October.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2017   #1354
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Hey, I'm glad your tomatoes will be hangin ripe when the hurricane season is well over!!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2017   #1355
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
Not multi-year dryness (yet!) but not enough wet years in between droughts to rejuvenate the forest floor.
Lots of beetle killed wood still standing in the interior makes for lots of fuel. With all the fires there this year perhaps enough of that fuel load will be gone to prevent such wide spread fires next season. Many people were evacuated from their homes and towns. Smoke went from the fires to Alberta and to the coast which reduced the heat for a week or so as it obscured the sun like a cloudy day but with orange tinted light. Washington State also contributes to our smoke scene. It's been like a nice winter's day around here with all the wood stoves so close in town.
Rain is bound to come. Last year we had double the normal amount in October.
These extreme fires scare me so much.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2017   #1356
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It's been rather nice the last couple of days. It was 77 degrees and 79% humidity this morning. Boy, I wish I had a tent set up in the backyard so I could smell the fresh air and sleep in there. Being in air conditioning all the time really gets to me. I enjoy the fresh air.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2017   #1357
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

We have been having some beautiful days for a few weeks. No rain and the lawns are beginning to turn brown for the first time this summer. Our high today was 82f and the humidity has been very low for around here. Yesterday we had a lot of high clouds from Irma which kept our high at 72f. I think we are supposed to warm back up this weekend to low 90's. I have spent a lot of my spare time on the patio and enjoying these comfortable days.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2017   #1358
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
It's been rather nice the last couple of days. It was 77 degrees and 79% humidity this morning. Boy, I wish I had a tent set up in the backyard so I could smell the fresh air and sleep in there. Being in air conditioning all the time really gets to me. I enjoy the fresh air.
Here in Ontario Canada, because we pay extra for electricity during the peak hours (during the day), we would open the house up at that temperature and then close it up once the temperatures started to rise again once the sun comes up. Just to enjoy fresh air???
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2017   #1359
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPawlick View Post
Here in Ontario Canada, because we pay extra for electricity during the peak hours (during the day), we would open the house up at that temperature and then close it up once the temperatures started to rise again once the sun comes up. Just to enjoy fresh air???
I'd love to do that but I sleep mostly during the day time hours. I don't like having windows open when I am sleeping, lol. I never used a/c in California. We would open the windows all night and close them as you said when the sun started to get warm. Close the drapes and kept it cool enough until time to open windows again in the evening to get a ice breeze. I sure miss enjoying the fresh air.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2017   #1360
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Our recent storm really greened the place up for this time of year.
The farmers might get a fall crop of hay.
Also heard we might be going into a La Nina.
This would mean a warmer dry winter.
I dont like the sound of it at all.
A very strong one put us in the horrible drought a few years ago.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2017   #1361
Lasairfion
Tomatovillian™

My Latah tomatoes, which are supposedly to ripen around June as a super-early variety are just ripening now. The others are either still unripe, or some not even out of the flowering stage.

I spoke to a gardener at a local garden centre and he said he has Spring flowering plants in flower alongside Summer flowering ones and those due to flower September. It's all gone bonkers.
Lasairfion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017   #1362
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

We received a couple of inches of much needed rain yesterday morning and it looks like possibly a little more rain later today. It's a nice cool morning in the upper 60's with just a slight breeze.

I need to go get my new deer rifle out of layaway sometime this week, get it setup and take it to the range and get it dialed in. I am going to do my best to put some organic meat in the freezer
for the upcoming winter.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017   #1363
bower
Tomatovillian™

Frost warnings two nights in a row here. I've cut most of the fruit off my outdoor tomatoes and the greenhouse plants are about done too. It's okay, I'm ready for it to be over for the year.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017   #1364
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

In the 80's here all week long. and now is my canning season. I thought I would get away with cooler temps to can in than in August. I thunk wrongly this year, but I didn't have the time in August either.
Old September 19, 2017   #1365
Salaam
Tomatovillian™

Well, we shouldn't always report bad news. We've had excellent - perfect - weather after the Labour Day weekend. Too bad almost all my tomato plants are toast, partly because of the extraordinarily cold monsoon summer we had. But my peppers and beans are doing well - peppers turning colour a lot. Some compensation, I suppose.
Salaam is offline   Reply With Quote