Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 1, 2006   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I totally forgot to say that the new website will go up initially with what's there now, as well as what's in the catalog, although Kimberly will be added as well as the B spouts that were left out.

Over the summer I'll be doing some writing as will Glenn and Linda.

Best to get the new website up, which BTW is so much easier to read since the framework is up at this point in the development, only lacking the individual variety descriptions for each category which will be transferred in electronically from the current webpage.

And I've got to get some feedback in ASAP. All the decisions as to where and how and what are Glenn and Linda's along with the website designer, whom many of us know already, since it's Dr. Jeff McCormack who sold SESE several years ago, as I've said elsewhere, and does contract website devlopment as his main work now, along with maintaining his Garden Medicinals website as well his heavy involvement with his other website on seed production, etc.directed at southern growers, developed with Federal Grant monies.
Old March 10, 2006   #17
ajax
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The name.... ni-ni-nick, na-nick-nick nick nick-a-lev-ny-ya. I guess you'll only get that if you have children.
I will have you know that I do not have children, but I know the Nickelodeon theme when I hear it!! I guess being a huge SpongeBob fan helps....

On the actual topic at hand, I recently acquired Nicholaevna (spelling on the package, but I know in Russian it should be "k") and all three seeds have valiantly sprouted. The problem is, 2 are PL, and 1 is RL! I am trying to track down who sent it to me, which is how I stumbled across this thread. If I find the sender, I will try to get more information on this variety and post back here.

An aside.....I almost came to blows with someone over the correct pronounciation of Stolichnaya (guess what we were doing 8) ) , I tried to explain that in Russian if you want a hard 'c' sound then it is spelled with a "k", but if it's a ch in Russian, then it is pronounced like a ch. Then here Anioleka comes along and spells Nicholaevna with a 'ch' for a 'k' sound. Maybe they thought it would look more pleasing to Western eyes, but it's ridiculous---I mean, they're Russian, right?
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2006   #18
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

I think they tried to introduce this name according to foreign habit of writing/spelling a la St.Nicholas (St.Nicholaus).

But it seems to me that the main problems is because there are 33 letters in Russian alphabet and many of these letter you can't find as a singles in English alphabet.

For example: ч = ch or sometimes "tsh"; ш = sh ; щ = shch

And our Russian "к" could be "k" or "C" or even "ch" in English.

Stolichnaya (vodka) is Sto-li-tch-naya (Столичная).

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2006   #19
ajax
Tomatovillian™

You're right, Andrey, part of the problem is that we only have 26 letters to our alphabet. But because many of our letters represent 2 sounds, it is relatively easy to translate the sounds from Russian to English, and I just get frustrated when trying to educate friends about Russian spelling and then some advertisers confuse everyone. I know so many people that think "r" in Russian is the backward capital R (-ya) because of all the ads that spell Russia with the R turned backward, and also use the backward N to represent "n" in English when it is really an "i" if properly translated.

I studied Russian quite a bit in college, although without anyone to talk to I have now forgotten most of it!
Still know Stolichnaya, though..... :wink:

Ajax
Old March 10, 2006   #20
MtnMaters
Tomatovillian™

Location: East TN weedpatch.... I know I planted some tomatoes in here!

I just got an email from someone over at the other place that got Nicholaevna seeds from me, and of the three they planted, two were PL and one was RL( I'll bet this is you, isn't it Ajax?). Could this be an F2 now?

Hmmmm....... I was very careful saving these seeds, so am somewhat hesitant to take the blame for this (typical male, I know), and don't see a seed mixing being very possible, as it was the only variety i saved last year (although my dad did save one batch for me, and "something" could have happened with his batch, because he saved Cherokee Purple too). I have a tray of 36 that already have their true leaves starting and they are all PL. Everyone else that has seeds from me, #1, I hope this doesn't turn into a debaucle, and #2, please post your results here.
MtnMaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2006   #21
ajax
Tomatovillian™

Well, this is exciting! I'll keep you posted on the differences between the RL and PL, if any other than foliage. Thanks for the seeds, I can't wait to taste this wonderful variety!
Ajax (yes, I am the same one that emailed you!)
Old June 25, 2006   #22
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

I am unable to find "Rostova" on Aniolka Seeds aka seedfest website. I was curius about the warning.
CECIL
Old June 25, 2006   #23
travis
Tomatovillian™

Are they back up and running? Last fall, I emailed them and they were closing down in UK and moving back to U.S.

Do they have a new active Web site up an running?

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2006   #24
COgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Nich update

Sheesh, I don't know how I missed reading this for so long! First I want to thank Mntnmaters for sending me seed for this one. I haven't tasted them yet, gonna be quite awhile, but this is one vigorous growing plant. I don't recall how many seeds I planted but I do remember they were all PL Only had room for one but it is growing as strong as anything in my garden. Very attractive plant, can't wait to taste the maters. Blossoms are bagged, the wait begins...

Kurt
COgarden is offline   Reply With Quote