Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old June 15, 2018   #16
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Imp... It wasn't. He didn't return them. The deer ate them. He didn't feel it was the right thing to do so he took the loss.
Old June 15, 2018   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Imp... It wasn't. He didn't return them. The deer ate them. He didn't feel it was the right thing to do so he took the loss.
Exactly, I took the loss and didn't feel it was moral or honest to get a refund or another tree.

I have a 1/2 drive craftsman ratchet I broke by putting a cheater bar on it.
I could get a new one to replace it free but I feel it is morally wrong and deceptive.
As far as my moral ethics I feel I am always either defending myself or I have to just not say anything in reply.
I am a good person and have a big heart but not without sin.
And I almost never attack anyone here unless it is to defend someone.
What saith you my lord that rests almighty on the highest throne of morality.
Are you without sin or corruption or are you a sinner among us?

Worth

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2018   #18
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I had two trees die and it wasn't the trees fault and I could have returned them.
But it would have been a stump left over from the deer eating them.
Bot them from a place here in town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I would think that the trees should have been protected as part of the reasonable care expected to be done by the buyer not the nursery's fault, so how would that be possible to put in a honest claim ?
Quote:

I didn't say HE returned them, see above.

Maybe not worded perfectly, I meant how could ANYONE not take of the tree or plant and yet expect a return?

Guess I should have worded it better.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #19
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Sorry if I misinterpreted your words imp. As it was worded it sounded like you read that he did return them. Sorry to cause any hurt. It wasn't intended. I thought you read it as if he returned them and he was dishonest.
Old June 16, 2018   #20
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Sorry if I misinterpreted your words imp. As it was worded it sounded like you read that he did return them. Sorry to cause any hurt. It wasn't intended. I thought you read it as if he returned them and he was dishonest.

No hurt, no foul, carolyn. I typed quickly and probably should have been more clear. I guess I was was just ?amused, appalled, mmmmmmm, something like that, over people who think they plunk a plant down and it should be great without any care or such, yet demand money back when the item dies to their neglect of basic care and protections.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #21
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I think you can warrant that a tomato plant is healthy when it leaves your store, but not after that. There is no guarantee with tomato plants. Their neighbor might be spraying weed killer, or the hornworms might be bad, or the blight might hit, or they might just be idiots who don't give it the minimum care. No sense in trying to be responsible for that.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I think you can warrant that a tomato plant is healthy when it leaves your store, but not after that. There is no guarantee with tomato plants. Their neighbor might be spraying weed killer, or the hornworms might be bad, or the blight might hit, or they might just be idiots who don't give it the minimum care. No sense in trying to be responsible for that.

Nan

Just got hammered by the lawn people next door with a huge cloud of dust from moving.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #23
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Like many here, I give away my extra plants every year. I'm still shocked at the basic lack of gardening knowledge that otherwise - seemingly - intelligent people have. A couple themes I've noticed over the years:

Gardening requires more than just putting plants/seeds in the ground.

The garden fairies won't come out to water your garden when you go on vacation.

Stuff happens - disease, insects, pesky animals.

All of box stores have the one year warranty but require the receipt and tag. My guess is that those that don't care for their new plants probably dont "care" for their receipts either.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #24
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I once donated a bunch of tomato plants to a food bank. With each plant I attached a 1 page sheet of tomato plant care, with some recipes on the reverse side. I figured I'd assume the recipient knew nothing about tomato plants, and I want them to succeed.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #25
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post

Nan
When people buy stuff we call it "going out the back door." In other words... death sentence.
Most people do not pay attention, and you cannot train them, teach them, or guide them.
I have seen the most hilarious examples. I had a lady bring back some dead shrubs, I mean dead. I listened to her persuasive speech, then asked if she watered them. She said, " I sure did." I then pulled a plant from the container and poofs of dust came out. I could see the fresh water line on the pro mix, which is hydro phobic when bone dry, and how it channeled down a line right through the bottom. I do not reward liars, but will help a novice who made a mistake. In short, I use a case by case return clause.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote