Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 7, 2006   #31
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I need suggestions for a compact, maybe dwarf sweet pepper to grow in my greenhouse this fall. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Best would be about 2.5-3.0 feet tall. Thanks.
Old August 7, 2006   #32
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I have a few suggestions. Red Belgium is a nice, compact but very early and productive variety that Tomaddict sent me years ago....it is sort of bell shaped (blunt ended), and goes from pale yellow to orange red, and is quite sweet. The other is Orange Bell - if you've not tried it, you should! Let me know, Mike - I am about to send your dwarf F2 seed and can include some pf each.
Old August 7, 2006   #33
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Franks is the name of a pepper I have been growing from Sand Hill for 3 years....Very early, very dwarf and pretty good. It is prolific and a nice general, Italian frying type.
I am sure I have a few extra seeds also. Trinidad seasoning is another very small plant that produces well, mildly spicy.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2006   #34
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jeanne-if you could spare 3 or 4 seed of each, that would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you can. All the best, Michael
Old August 8, 2006   #35
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Checked and have plenty of seed.

Please pm me your address again and I can post them soon.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2006   #36
Chicago_Joe
Tomatovillian™

I'm really enjoying the Nicaraguan Chiltoma Peppers I'm growing this year. I'll save seed and offer them here at the end of the season if anyone would like to try.

My Italia and Lemme's I picked for the first time this weekend. I grilled some and sauted some with olive oil and salt. They were fantastic. I'm surprised at how tiny of a plant Italia is. It's barley a foot off the ground and very little yeild.
Chicago_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2006   #37
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Update Pretty Please

So, how are they all coming along. Very helpful thread. I upped my hot peppers to 15 and sweet peppers to 13. I have no space for that many unless they migrate to other parts of the garden.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2006   #38
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Peppers can hide anywhere in the garden , cant they?
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2006   #39
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Pack 'em In

Ah-ha. And you are partly to blame, Mantis. I picture peppers poking from azaleas, camelias, hibiscus, everywhere from the front to back gardens. And in pots. Can't wait.
Old August 17, 2006   #40
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

HMM, I figure a pepper could almost vanish in amongst a well grow Azalea 8)
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2006   #41
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default gosh darnoodley

Not to mention a fushia? gosh darnoodley weeds.
Old November 26, 2006   #42
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweet Peppers

I enjoyed reading through this thread, and thought I'd add a little something as well. For the first time since I was a kid I'm growing sweet peppers in my indoor garden. I only have room for 6 plants and 3 are sweet peppers. Quadrato D'Asti Rosso, Chinese Giant & Elephant's Ear.

Elephant's Ear was given to me by a trading partner in Canada. I believe he said it's a Yugoslavian variety. I really didn't expect to get any peppers indoors, but the EE has two so far, with the biggest being a little over 3" long, and close to 1 1/2" wide. So it must be more of a "frying" type that I see alot of in this thread. I'm really hoping it's able to grow to maturity on the plant, and not fall off due to a lack of one thing or another.

Besides being so impressed with the EE putting out peppers, I'm also shocked at how much pollen it produced. The bell types have had a few open flowers but I've seen absolutely no pollen when shaking the branches they are on.

Guess I'll wait for the peppers to mature and ripen. No doubt they'll be the best peppers I've ever tasted if they do make it that far!
Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote