Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 2, 2006   #16
twinks
Tomatovillian™

Oooh, that Tawny Port is a really pretty colour. I do like that one. Where did you get the seeds from? I've never heard of that variety before, is it one I'm likely to find over this side of the pond? We have a variety over here called Sweet Chocolate, is that possibly the same but under a different name according to company?

I'm growing Summer Salad, an F1 from Thompson & Morgan, as well as a few pointy sweet peppers. However, all my seed sowing was late this year due to prolonged illness so they're all at the setting fruit stage.
twinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2006   #17
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default bells looking good

Hi All
I wish i had your secret 's my bells didn't do much at all. I had two huge mandrin bells but one was eatin by a hornworm!!!!! yes you herd me right.
I came out that morning and saw to my surprise half my mandrin gone!!!! and a monster of a hornworm chompin away, well not to get graphic but the HW was suffering from over indulgence ,below him was a mound of green, goooooooey diareah i have ever seen.
I took my other mandrin and put it on my window sill. The other peppers are jsut not doing much at all.
Do pots do better?
I see the prices in the stores for the colored varietys and it makes me sick how much they are
better luck next yr for me i guess
sue
matermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2006   #18
username5
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: bells looking good

Quote:
Originally Posted by matermama
Do pots do better?
I think that in some cases they do, yes. Peppers are usually fairly small rooted so they are right at home in a container. They like warm soil so the faster warm up of pots suits them and they like good drainage which any potting mix will have more of than any soil except sand.

I am thinking of trying some in an earthbox next year. Most the the pepper gurus I remember from Garden Web grew in 2-5 gallon containers and overwintered those that did well for an earlier start the next year.
username5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2006   #19
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default peppers

thanks username5 that helps, unknowing to my unexperienced knowledge i put them in a soggy area.
next yr i hope to be better
thanks again
sue
Old September 9, 2006   #20
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

Till our big hail storm here, couple weeks back, my peppers were doing just incredible this year. For whatever reason I am drawn to non-bell shaped sweet peppers over the bell shape. Nothing against bells at all... regret I didn't grow Islander F1 this season. There'll be plenty of them here next year. That Tawny Port is a beauty!! Would love to have that in my garden sometime in the near future.

I also prefer the OP'ed varieties for almost everything I grow. The main exception I can think of are sweet peppers. I almost cannot cook without peppers. They're way too expensive to buy in bulk here in Minnesota in the winter. So the last couple years I've grown lots and put them away happily in the freezer.

Carmen F1 has been great this year. Sweet Spot F1 as well. Giant Marconi F1 started slow but has been coming on real strong. The OP'ed cultivars, Corno di Toro and Anconcagua(spelling??) have been great as well. Have some others growing but those are the ones that stand out above the rest for me in 06'.

Started kicking my own butt on Memorial Day for not sowing any Islander seeds. A variety called Mavras f1, a bell shaped one has caught my eye for next season too. Pepper looks almost jet black, actually its a super dark purple instead. Haven't heard any feed back on it but it looks so cool.
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2006   #21
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default peppers

those sounds good to try, i miss peppers.In OH they are to expenxive to buy too$3.99lb i m not paying those prices.
i will look into the ones you are growing they do sound good.
i love sweet peppers in my cooking too
sue
Old September 9, 2006   #22
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Matermama....Others to consider are Neopolitan and Earlired . Victory Seeds has a good picture of Neopolitan. They are very productive for me in MT, and they are grown in a container with 4 other plants. The peppers are good sized and ripen with beautiful streaks. Earlired is offered by Sand Hill and I have grown it for 3 or 4 years. It is a little smaller and less productive than Neopolitan, but a nice red early in the year.
I refuse to pay grocery store prices for peppers too!

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2006   #23
Tania
Tomatovillian™

It is also my first year in PNW when I am getting very large and sweet bell peppers - well, maybe it is a weather and GH, or perhaps is it just varieties - instead of planting bought named varieties, I tried a bunch that my mother-in-law brought from Russia and also seeds I got from a co-worker last year - and wow! 5-7 huge bell peppers, red and yellow, some up to 250 gram, juicy, crunchy and sweet.

Other sweet (non-bell) varieties don't even come close this year

I am in sweet pepper heaven.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2006   #24
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default grrrrr

boy you Canadians sure got it made "aye"
wish i had peppers that good aye
maybe next yr aye :wink:
best
sue
Old September 28, 2006   #25
Plant Lady
Tomatovillian™

Everyones peppers look great. I just grow the California Wonder Bells, they did exceptionally well this year, but I believe in my case it had to do with moisture (more then normal)
Plant Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2006   #26
username5
Tomatovillian™

Your California Wonders look terrific! I grew them for 3 or 4 years and gave up on them as they consistently refused to grow into any kind of size worthy of stuffing.

I am super impressed with Bianca which is an ivory bell. Good size, non fussy plant, high yields and very sweet, much more so than the sweetest I have had from the grocery store. In my garden Cali wonder more or less tasted the same as the grocery store peppers, just smaller.

My favorite way to enjoy them is to remove the top and seed core and drizzle a little ranch dressing on the inside and smear it around and munch away.

Can't wait until next year so I can grow even more of them.
username5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2006   #27
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Here are mine, possibly a rogulands or something like that. Not real sure though. A red bellpepper, fairly sweet and a hint of fruitiness.
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2006   #28
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Gabriel's Red Bell pepper, sweet - I got it from a co-worker and a friend of mine 2 years ago, and it's been performing very well in my garden since then:

Still picking peppers...

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2006   #29
Plant Lady
Tomatovillian™

Tania...Your red Bells look great!!!!
Plant Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2006   #30
wilderness1989
Tomatovillian™

Default A very nice sweet pepper.

I've been growing peppers sine the 1970's and the VERY BEST SWEET PEPPER I've found was one I tried last year. The variety is a hybrid sold by both Totally Tomatoes and Tomato Growers It is CARMEN HYBRID. They make beautiful plants and red sweet peppers. I really do not like the hybrid part because I am a seed saver so this year I am try a Greek open pollinated too, it looks the same in pictures so I'm going to plant and pray.
wilderness1989 is offline   Reply With Quote