Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 14, 2006   #1
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default World's hottest chile pepper

A recent article, enjoy the BTU's:
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/saga...op%20of%20Page

Regards,
Spud
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2006   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

In 2000, scientists at India's Defence Research Laboratory (DRL) reported a rating of 855,000 units on the Scoville scale, for the Saga Jolokia. In 2004 an Indian export company called Frontal Agritech obtained a rating of 1,041,427 units for this same pepper (through HPLC analysis, unpublished claim), which would mean it is hotter than the hybrid cultivar Red Savina pepper and roughly equal to the newly emerging and very similar-looking Dorset Naga, developed as a hybrid of Naga Morich (another name for Naga Jolokia) by a couple in Dorset, England.

The Dorset Naga, has a current official heat measurement of 923,000 Scoville Heat Units when tested.

Gloves and goggles are recommended just to be in the same room with these peppers. I've seen their flavor (if you can call every pain receptor in your mouth firing simultaneously "flavor") described as molten lava.

In the immortal words of Dave Lister, "I've got 3 remaining tastebuds. I need curry!"

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2006   #3
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

The Dorset Naga has been banned from sale to the general public here in the Uk. for health reasons and safety, as they recon its far to dangerous to let loose on the general public and may cause heart attacks and other fatal illnesses for the unwary, or even idiots playing pranks on others.

It is only allowed to be in certain university medical dept reasearch studies under srict safety regulations.

Apparently even the job of stripping the seeds out of the peppers is considered dangerous and protective throwaway gloves are recomended.

rum stuff by the sound of it.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2006   #4
darlochileman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael johnson
The Dorset Naga has been banned from sale to the general public here in the Uk. for health reasons and safety, as they recon its far to dangerous to let loose on the general public and may cause heart attacks and other fatal illnesses for the unwary, or even idiots playing pranks on others.

It is only allowed to be in certain university medical dept reasearch studies under srict safety regulations.

Apparently even the job of stripping the seeds out of the peppers is considered dangerous and protective throwaway gloves are recomended.

rum stuff by the sound of it.
Ha ha ha ha ha!!

Thats a great bit of hype from the Dorset Naga People. If thats the case why are they planning to sell seeds in the Spirng of 2007 and are more than happy to take your money by selling packs of pods at local fairs/markets?

Unfortunately for them, a new peppers has come onto the scene and been HPLC tested by at least 2 respected institutions - the Bhut Jolokia (also called Bih Jolokia)

http://www.thechileman.org/naga_morich.php

A seed company only 100 miles or so from me is already selling the seeds.

PS The Naga Morich = Dorset Naga imho. I have grown out both and the plants/pods etc are identical

Mark
Old December 16, 2006   #5
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Fortunatly I dont eat chile peppers anymore,as they are just too hot for me.
I once got caught out by accident in a chinese resteraunt in london, where we ordered some cantonese duck and vegetables, etc,- I just took a couple of mouthfulls of this darned duck- when "Pow", my mouth and throat were on fire, and quickly downed three glasses of cold water, actualy I think they had rubbed the duck breast meat with raw chillies just before they served it.

My wife thought it was extremely funny watching me go from red to purple and then white heat in a few seconds.

Nowadays I whimp out at even the suggestion of hot indian curries or even thai green curries,
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2006   #6
bluelytes
Tomatovillian™

I would hafta agree with MARK'S post. First they were selling as of Jan 1, NOW its the "spring". DN sounds like the PT Barnum of the UK.

Regards;
bluelytes
bluelytes is offline   Reply With Quote