Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 28, 2011   #1
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Default CHOPTAG tasting

I'm recovered and ready to talk about the tomato tasting held Saturday, Aug 27. Sorry to report that attendance was way down from years past. I think we ended up with 12 people or so.

Even with attendance down, we sure had some delicious tomatoes to be tasted I think we had about 25 or 26 varieties Some that really stood out taste wise were German Johnson, a cross that that Mark brought..I can't remember the name of to save me.. and Japanese Black Trifele. Oh and I can't forget Blush! Super sweet fruity tasting tomato. I brought several varieties..some of which I had not tasted yet. Amish Potato Leaf from Carolyn I enjoyed, and the Brandywine Sudduth was wonderful as usual. Heather brought some Stupice and I had never tasted that tomato. I liked it!

I brought some Dwarf Sweet Scarlett to sample and everyone attending seemed to give it 2 thumbs up. Had a couple of new to heirloom folks attending and they were in awe of how different tasting the tomatoes were. We also had delicious golden watermelon to sample and peppers and okra to pass around. Lots of good eats and good conversations..the weather was fantastic. About as perfect a day for eating tomatoes as you can get!

We discussed ways to draw new members to the group and ways to get our former members active again. I forgot my camera again, so no photos.. dangit!

That's all I can think of to report for now. Hopefully some of the others will chime in

Last edited by Barbee; August 28, 2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: ...