Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old July 22, 2007   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default fruit drop?

while looking over my lone plant this morning I found a golf ball size fruit on the ground next to the container. The plant has 12 or 13 fruit set on it now and seems to be doing well, or at least I thought. What could cause the plant to just drop fruit like that?

Duane
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2007   #2
duajones
Tomatovillian™

It dropped its biggest fruit this afternoon, little smaller than a baseball maybe. I dont understand why its doing that. Anyone?
Old July 25, 2007   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Some varieties just drop their fruit when they are ripe or close to ripe. Is the fruit ripe when it drops?

A fellow Texan that loves CC.
Old July 26, 2007   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I dont think it was ripe but it sure was small
Old July 26, 2007   #5
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

And I feel like I have to wrestle the fruit off of my plants. In fact, this afternoon, I had to go back into the house to get some scissors, because I couldn't get the plant to give up the fruit. It was hanging on for all it was worth! I had to get medieval with it.

Just curious, at what point did the break occur? As in did the whole stem fall off or the fruit pull away from the stem? I can't picture it.
Old July 31, 2007   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

The fruit itself just dropped off of the plant leaving the stem. Someone here mentioned the second set of fruit usually is smaller so that may be my situation. How do I tell for sure the fruit is ripe enought to eat? I have 7-10 fruit now that are about baseball size. Wouldnt mind having a couple for dinner tonight if they are indeed ripe.

Read here that they are ripe at almost any stage so I will have a couple tonight
Old July 31, 2007   #7
bms44974
Tomatovillian™

My wife bought red grape tomatoes at the grocery store this winter and we've had 4 or 5 voluteers pop out of the compost pile. Two were transplanted into our raised beds and they reliably drop about half of their ripe fruit. What's left ripe on the vine falls off easily when picked. Most leave their stems behind. Their flavor is marginal, at best, but this is by far the most productive plant in the garden (12 to 24 per day for the past two weeks). I can see why commercial growers would like them.
bms44974 is offline   Reply With Quote