Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old June 15, 2009   #1
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Default Pizza Sauce Recipe Request

Why does every recipe for pizza sauce that I can find online include cans of sauce, paste, or diced tomatoes?

I would love to make pizza sauce using vine ripe tomatoes. Does anyone have any recipes or ideas?

I have had some success with marinara sauce in the past using vine ripe fruit.

Please help.

Thanks,
Howard
TheClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2009   #2
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Howard. Replace what the recipe calls for with fresh tomatoes from your garden. That should do it.

I tend to follow the least complicated recipes, like this one from Gourmet Magazine. From this very basic recipe, you can expand your own, adding your favorite herbs and spices, adjusting the salt, etc.

Enjoy! I wish I have tomatoes to cook already.

Sincerely,

Annapet

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2009   #3
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow View Post
Hi, Howard. Replace what the recipe calls for with fresh tomatoes from your garden. That should do it.

I tend to follow the least complicated recipes, like this one from Gourmet Magazine. From this very basic recipe, you can expand your own, adding your favorite herbs and spices, adjusting the salt, etc.

Enjoy! I wish I have tomatoes to cook already.

Sincerely,

Annapet
Thanks!

With that in mind I did another search and now I think that, aside from tomatoes, basil, oregano, and garlic, EVOO, fresh ground black pepper, maybe a pinch of salt and a little sugar (or honey), I will be good to go.

Like when I made my own marinara, I will need to keep on tasting it throughout, and, as my DW suggests, keep notes of what I try.

I'll post my results here when I have some progress to report.

Howard
TheClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2009   #4
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

The principal for making pizza sauce from fresh tomatoes is the same as for making spaghetti or marinara sauce, it's just cooked down more, or not if you like a looser sauce.
You might try adding a little marjoram to the recipe too. My kids really enjoy it when I make a plain sauce then layer the pizza with fresh herbs, a drizzle of olive oil, slices of mozzarella and then bake.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2009   #5
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClaw View Post
Thanks!

With that in mind I did another search and now I think that, aside from tomatoes, basil, oregano, and garlic, EVOO, fresh ground black pepper, maybe a pinch of salt and a little sugar (or honey), I will be good to go.

Like when I made my own marinara, I will need to keep on tasting it throughout, and, as my DW suggests, keep notes of what I try.

I'll post my results here when I have some progress to report.

Howard
Exactly those herbs and spices! That's how secret recipes come into fruition. I'm so envious you're making sauces already!

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote