Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old March 24, 2014   #1
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Default Green Clay Soil?

I just discovered that I have clay soil- but it's GREEN. I've got about 4 inches of nice, dark, loamy soil but south of that it's sticky and green.

I'm not finding much info on green clay soils, anyone have any knowledge on it? I would have expected red or beige clay. Hrm.

I know the usual advice is to do a raised bed, but this particular area where I'm growing tomatoes is against the home foundation so I'm going to avoid that. I found a decent amount of worms as I dug through it, so at least there's living things in it.

Last edited by Vespertino; March 24, 2014 at 10:36 PM.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

There are many clays that are green, but it could be a glauconite clay, nontronite clay or a montmorillonite clay? Maybe get it tested?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #3
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

It's not glowing is it?
The only thing I know about green clay is that they package the French version and sell it at a huge premium for facial use.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #4
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Redbaron- oh if it were gluconite that would be awesome (greensand for free!). I noticed Tx A&M will do soil testing, I may end a sample over.

James- I think I have some in my cosmetics
Old March 25, 2014   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Definitely get it tested.
There aren't many soil types that aren't fixable with compost. Manures,straw, leaves and food scraps can do wonders, IMO.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2014   #6
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I did a home test, mainly because a thorough set of soil tests at A&M would be around $80 and I decided I'd rather use it towards gardening (herbs, pots, tools, drip irrigation, etc).

I dug deep an pulled out a clean chunk of clay, dried it, grated it into a powder and tested ph, nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium. Ph was just slightly alkaline, nitrogen poor (I expected that), phosphorous poor, but potassium was very high.

Before I amend it with anything I'll be testing the topsoil. But if the topsoil is also alkaline I'll water down a little vinegar and hand water to get the ph down a teeny bit.
Old March 29, 2014   #7
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
I did a home test, mainly because a thorough set of soil tests at A&M would be around $80 and I decided I'd rather use it towards gardening (herbs, pots, tools, drip irrigation, etc).

I dug deep an pulled out a clean chunk of clay, dried it, grated it into a powder and tested ph, nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium. Ph was just slightly alkaline, nitrogen poor (I expected that), phosphorous poor, but potassium was very high.

Before I amend it with anything I'll be testing the topsoil. But if the topsoil is also alkaline I'll water down a little vinegar and hand water to get the ph down a teeny bit.
Since you are doing it yourself, try this website to find out what you have. Soil Survey

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2014   #8
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link, the survey app is giving me an error, but I think I have crosstail fine sandy loam.