Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
charley
Tomatovillian™

Default what do you put in your tomato hole???

i havent done a garden in a long time and im late planting so advise is much appreciated
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Langbeinite.

A tablespoon or two underneath the rootball has been a constant source of nutrients when transplants are “put in the hole”.It is water soluble for hand watering from the can.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langbeinite
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

I grow tomatoes and peppers in black plastic. I prepare the bed, lay down a soaker hose, and lay a strip of plastic. My beds are 24 feet long, 4 wide, and the plastic I buy comes in 50 foot rolls.

I cut holes with a clamshell-style posthole digger, going about 8-10" down. At the bottom of the hole I put a tablespoon or so of some organic fertilizer. Then with some of the soil and about an equal amount of aged compost stirred together in my wheelbarrow, I fill all the holes to about half.

This also gets some fertilizer.

I hesitate to offer quantities because I don't know about every kind. But my wheelbarrow full (as much as I want to push around) is about 4 cu. ft. I consider that to be the equivalent of 12 sq feet of bed and add the appropriate amount of fertilizer.

Anyway, I fill the holes about half, then set my tomatoes and peppers, packing them in with the soil mix from the wheelbarrow, and watering them in nicely.

In my climate, this generally feeds until July. At that point fertilization is sticky: once blossoms are setting, I figure I'm done. But some rampant indeterminate varieties need more nutrients, so they get whatever I have at the time. It's a pain to try to scratch in through the holes, so I often add some fertilizer to a pail of water, let it steep for a while then put that "tea" on the plants I think need it.

I found that boring a 7/32" hole in a plastic pail allows one to stick rainbird plastic drip barbs in. Attach a length of terminal tubing, and thread a #7 or #8 sheet metal or wood screw half a turn into the end of the tube to slow the drip. If you want, use a tee and water two plants...a gallon each.

I have 5 of these...enough for 10 plants. I don't bother with the plants that set early... fertilizer doesn't help them much.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

What gets done in my garden begins every year after the growing season ends. A professional soil test followed by doing what the recommendations suggest. This year that means some extra nitrogen and phosphorus. So long as the soil is in balance what goes in the hole is a tomato plant, some water in the bottom and the dirt taken out of the hole.

The bed is always tilled in the fall and in the spring a layer of newspaper topped by 6-8 inches of weed free straw is put down as mulch. For more than twenty years that has been the plan and most years it works pretty well. Just be sure the straw has not been treated with2-4-D.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I really don't put anything in the hole but might try some of Kurt's Langbeinite since I already have some that I was going to try on sweetpotatoes. I fertilize with fish emulsion and wood ash from the top
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

I test my soil annually for my garden and amend the beds based on that.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

A handful of Happy Frog - preferably Fruit and Flower (4-9-3)
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote