Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old June 1, 2011   #46
owiebrain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
Please don't read this post if you are easily insulted with bad puns.

My potato infatuation is akin to culinary infatuation. I grow and eat so many potatoes that I am near guilty of potato fatuation. I like potatoes so much in all their splendid variety that I am guilty of multiple "To Have and Hold" infractions.

To have one's potato and eat it too is a common idiomatic figure of speech of mine, sometimes stated as eat one's cake and have it too or simply have one's cake and eat it.

This may often used negatively, meaning an individual owning a potato variety and still attempting to benefit from or use it. It may also indicate having or wanting more than one can handle or deserve, or trying to have two incompatible things. The proverb's meaning is similar to the phrases, "you can't have it both ways" and "you can't have the best of both worlds."
As an example, an individual who is engaged in growing one or more varieties but is still wanting to grow others wishfully would be said to be having one's cake and eating it too. i.e. someone should not be held to a higher standard (commitment) than said individual (still seeking). The individual is having his cake/potato (someone is proposing devotion) and eating it too (dating outside of a relationship).

As there are non-monogamous people involved in breeding potatoes..... allow me to explain myself.. In general, non-monogamy breeding means having the freedom to be asexually and/or otherwise be involved with more than one potato variety. When I say "ethical" non-monogamy, I mean any type of non-monogamous relationship practiced HONESTLY, with the perceived mutual consent of all potatoes -- where all potatoes are deceived and no one potato CHOOSES to enter this type of relationship, meaning they are involved in reproducing themselves asexually or otherwise. Need I spell out the heathenistic alternative of otherwise?

The phrase's earliest recording is from an obscure potato breeder from 2011 as alluding to the impossibility of eating your potato and still having it afterward

By Golly! I do get away with eating my potatoes and having more left over to plant again and start yet another year of having my potato and eating it too. But from the looks of the potato photos on this topic....I am inflicting unethical behavior towards other potato growers. Sorry for my "asexual innuendo" humor.

Tom Wagner
If I'd only had some potato wine to sip as I read through that beautiful piece... (Or would potato wine be vodka??)

CrackpotHippie.com
owiebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2011   #47
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
(Or would potato wine be vodka??)
Speaking of which...Vodka (little water) can be made from potatoes or grain, but I bet some of the Vodka is made from a variety that until just recently was planted on almost half of the potato acres planted in Russia. I have been growing it but not for that purpose. What is the variety?

Nevs'ka or Nevsky as I have it is a rather ordinary white potato that is fairly early and yields well. I like it because it does not fall apart when boiled. It is a low gravity potato and that accounts for its cooking quality. Funny...that the very quality that makes for a good boiling potato is what the Russians have been trying to get rid of in new crosses...they want the high gravities..high starch...that would be better for Vodka making.

Nevsky got its name from a hero. St. Alexander Nevsky was Russia's "knight in shining armor." from near 750 years ago.

Anyway, I have sent out tubers to a few folks of Nevsky and one of the parents...Kandkdat. I planted new nuclear mini tubers of both of them a couple of days ago and will use them in breeding so that I can have my TPS and eat the TPS seedlings too! I will focus on breeding them to late blight resistant lines that have yellow flesh....I am rather bored with white flesh potatoes.

If I can the Nevsky clones to bloom, I want to get pollen from Campbell 11 to make a cross. If I get some berries to set...I want to name a selection ....
Neve Campbell.......
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Odp8mRxjn4&t=1
maybe to prove that I am desperate for pretty and unforgettable potatoes.....where was I? Oh, yes!......potatoes to have and to hold from this day forward.....sigh.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2011   #48
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I got around pilling more soil to mound my potatoes, and 2 days later looks like it can use some more!

This is a 5ft x12ft and 12" tall bed, 6ft are potatoes and the next 6ft are tomatoes...

This little plant grows by the hour I got to run to the nursery to haul some more compost to top off the other 2" and get some more straw since what I grew (winter rye) is not enough
Old June 11, 2011   #49
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I hilled the potatoes more this week and sprinkled some garden tone around each plant. The went through a growth spur! I am goind to add 2 more inches of soil to the very top of the box and call it done.

Some are showing flower cluster. The one Azule Rose is also showing signs of flowers. See pics below.

My TPS are needing my attention next. Some started to grow and will need hilling some more weekly until they flower hopefully Here is some pictures of the TPS in blue containers next to some of TW sampler 2010 (SVG, Amey, and AKT).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg azulerose_6wks.jpg (233.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg TWsampler2011_6wks.jpg (417.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg TPS_12wks.jpg (243.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SV_12wks.jpg (187.9 KB, 20 views)
Old July 29, 2011   #50
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Wendy, I have a question. How big do you potatoes grow. In a set up like you have. It looks like a small space. If I am counting correctly for 20+ potato spuds. I am thinking, of trying your set up next season. But, I like big potatoes. Can, I grow them like you have, and still harvest big potatoes?

I cannot wait for next season to come, really. Oh, and Wendy, since you know so much about potatoes. Is there a white potato that has a bit of sweetness, that can be used for fries, and or baking? Reason why I ask, I tasted a batch of "nathan'" fries, and they had a hint of sweetness to the potato. I am looking for a potato like that, and a blue round, I can use to for baking, salad, fries etc. A fingerling blue, white, or red, for roasting. A good reliable russet. And, anything else. That you would suggest to me. I want to be fully prepared for next season. Thanks Wendy.
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2011   #51
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Hello raindrops27,

I am glad my posts have inspired you to try potatoes too! I am not a potato expert, my second year only.

Quote:
How big do you potatoes grow. Can, I grow them like you have, and still harvest big potatoes?
My plants grew, depending of the variety, anything from 18in tall to 36in tall. Some were tall and compact and some other sprawling and other wide. Once you get to know the variety can then adjust how the spacing goes etc.

For big potatoes I heard that spacing can help and maybe some folks know more about that.

Quote:
Is there a white potato that has a bit of sweetness, that can be used for fries, and or baking? Reason why I ask, I tasted a batch of "nathan'" fries, and they had a hint of sweetness to the potato. I am looking for a potato like that, and a blue round, I can use to for baking, salad, fries etc. A fingerling blue, white, or red, for roasting. A good reliable russet.
I seem to be partial to yellow potatoes, really like yukon gold, also think it does have a sweet undertone to it when fried but works well for roasting too. They grow big but not more than 3-5 per plant and it is tall plant and the tubers form near the stem. This year I hope to try Amey Russet and it may be just what you describe (good baking and french fry) I will keep you posted. The plant is not huge but sprawls a little.

Blue round? I am not sure probably want to try any of Tom's since they are pretty tasty.This year I have few blues for trial that don't know how they do.

Fingerling: red thumb is pretty good roasted or boiled, plant is tall and not sprawl... but skagit valley gold is very very good roasted or just boiled and the plant is small and sprawling. That one is yellow thou and not fingerling but round small. A white or reliable russet I don't have yet a recommendation...soon... since I am digging some this year
Old July 30, 2011   #52
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Kennebuc potatoes are the ones used by Nathans and other restaurants, just Goggle them all around the US they brag about these, We only cook Kennebuc french fries!!!!
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2011   #53
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I was going to ask if raindrops27 tried kennebec but since I haven't yet ...thanks for posting that info filmnet. I have to try some, where do you get them? my local whole foods does not carry them but I am not too far from kittery maine.
Old July 30, 2011   #54
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

https://www.superseeds.com/products.php?cat=448
i got them June 5 they were on a sale late spring.
Old July 30, 2011   #55
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Filmnet, have you seen them in the grocery stores?
Old July 30, 2011   #56
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

No they are not in stores here maybe in Maine, in early spring they are sold to grow only. Steve
Old July 30, 2011   #57
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

No, never tried Kennebec. But, I surely will!I only grew potatoes once, and it was a terrible fail. I bought some potato seeds(small potatoes) from Gurney's. Planted them in a very large cardboard box. (Found this great idea over the net-did not work for me) The spring, and summer was full of rain, plus. I do not think I had enough drain holes on the box. Needless to say they sprouted, but soon looked like lace, from bug damage, and when the plant had died down, it may have been maybe one tiny potato. I haven't grown any since that time. But, I have been truly inspired to jump right on it, next season. Thank you very much Wendy, and FilmNet!

Off to read more.

Melissa
Old July 31, 2011   #58
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

I would try again next year with potatoes, i hope they are cheap again. The right potatoes to grow are $$, 10lb's were $25 or more from farms in Maine. Maybe get some from Tom next year, i see he does not have Kennebec.
Old July 31, 2011   #59
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Film. I do not mind paying. If, I could be successful. I am definitely going to try. I really cannot wait either. I am definitely buying from Tom. I love all the vibrant colors he offers. Kennebec, will be a must too. Film. How many pounds of potatoes should I buy, if I want a very bountiful harvest. As, I would like to gift some, and be able to feed my family of 5?
Old July 31, 2011   #60
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

RD27, figure 1 lb of seed potatoes will produce 10 lbs at seasons end on average. From TPS 1 lb on up per hill. This is just gleaned info, not from experience as I have never grown TPS.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote