Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 9, 2007   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default Tom's Taters

Tom's Taters

Tom Wagner has one of the few private, one-man potato breeding programs in the.......

Want to read more? Pardon me for even mentioning it. Go to the sno-valley-tilth website below or click on the second site which is a pdf file.

http://www.snovalleytilth.net/resources.htm

http://www.snovalleytilth.net/home_f...0Taters%20.pdf
You can also downloaded this file directly from the link at the bottom of this post.

Since I am a landless potato grower and breeder, I have to beg for ground to plant potatoes on. I don't have the capital to buy, rent, or steal ground. Most of the lines I put up for this site are research oriented. The cost of the tubers covers, for the most part, the delivery system for the local area. The tubers are not destined to be reproduced without my consent and I intend (within reason) to visit the potato plots where ever they are planted. I need to evaluate the performance and flavor of said varieties and perhaps collect the potato berries produced. This is an attempt for local growers to facilitate local seed sources.

The Pdf list is a veiled attempt by Kate H. to get me to go national on folks with my assorted varieties in the years yet to come. If I do go for a large scale it would be with 100% internal creations. So if you wanted a Pjellfinn, you would have to settle for an F-1 of Pjellfinn and Golden Amey.

Have fun looking at this site. Let me know what you think.

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tomstaters.pdf (289.0 KB, 30 views)
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Glad to see you dipping a toe back into the seed potato business Tom. I am looking forward to growing some of your varieties this year.

At some point in the future, I hope you set up your own website.

One thing I noted, your listing does not make plain the charges for shipping and handling. A typical charge might be $7 for the first 5 pounds and an additional $2 per 5 pounds up to 100 pounds. At some point above 100 pounds, you will have to use truck freight for deliveries. I'm not sure the numbers I am using here are accurate, but they should give some idea of how to price shipping. Getting this right will make a major difference in your business.

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007   #3
Tom Wagner

Quote:
One thing I noted, your listing does not make plain the charges for shipping and handling.
The pdf listing was designed for local growers. I don't think Kate was thinking outside easy driving distances. However, it may be advisable to go to the USPS site to check what it might cost to ship from here to your zip code and the weight involved. Shipping costs are quite prohibitive. For info go to the link below to see if it is worth it first.

http://postcalc.usps.gov/default.asp

Type in your the zip code like 98052 for Redmond, WA and then your zip code along with wt of potatoes requested. That should be fairly accurate for shipping costs. I can't imagine anyone willing to pay such mailing costs, and this is probably one reason I may not get into this business. People would have to prove otherwise.

Old March 9, 2007   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

4 pounds of seed potatoes to Houston are $8.30 by USPS Parcel Post (6 days), $11 by USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days), or $12 UPS Ground (6 days).

Ronniger's charges $13-15 for 2 pounds or $19-25 for 5 pounds of seed potatoes, which seems to INCLUDE shipping.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2007   #5
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I received a box of about 25 pounds of potatoes from Tom today. These are some of the most unique potatoes I've ever seen! They range from huge baking potatoes to long slim fingerling types and in every color imaginable.

Fusion
Old March 14, 2007   #6
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Do you have a photo of them yet? I'd love to see them, Fusion.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2007   #7
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Hope this works right the first time. I haven't played around with sizing photos for the forum. There are about 30 varieties total. Impressive ones at first glance are:
Skagit Beets - the bright red one bottom center.
Black y Azul - the big black ones left edge center.
Azul Largo - the big long blue fingerling right center.
Red Snake - it looks like a snake in the photo, goes from the center up and right.

I wiped a few of them with a damp paper towel so the colors would show up better. Then I let them dry and put them back up for planting tomorrow.

Fusion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TomPotatoes 001.jpg (740.4 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by Fusion_power; March 14, 2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old March 14, 2007   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Great picture and fantastic selection! Just wow!

I hope they all produce for you.

And just think I planted potatoes on a whim this spring when I called around and found a local feed store that had em. Next year I'll take it a bit more seriously.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2007   #9
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

Those potatoes are beautiful!! Perhaps next year I will try some of these.

Tom, will these be available during off-times just after Christmas? I would love to try some of your varieties. I only can use small quantities, though (about 5 pounds total).

Tiffanie
gardenmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2007   #10
Tom Wagner

Fusion,

Glad you enjoyed my potatoes!

You ought to take a photo of some of those just after you cut them before planting. The flesh colors should be dramatic as well. Imagine what I go through each year when I cut tens of thousands of clonal types resulting of my breeding work. If my website gets going, I might make ware potatoes available.

Tom
Old March 15, 2007   #11
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Yes, PLEEEEASE, Tom. I'm willing to pay whatever $ involved for phytos to get some tubers over the border.

Jennifer
Old March 15, 2007   #12
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Here is a photo of the potatoes cut and ready to plant. I estimate there are 250 sets ready to go in the ground. I cut to get 2 eyes on each piece of potato. Note the extremes of color. Yellow varieties are mostly in the top center. There are some blue to purple to almost black. And there are lots of red or mottled red among these. I can't wait to get them planted!

Fusion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TomPotatoes 005.jpg (637.2 KB, 96 views)
Old March 15, 2007   #13
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Just gorgeous. Thanks for taking the time to do that! Like jewels, they are.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2007   #14
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

How amazing! I have never seen such beauties - I doubt we have varieties like those down under!!! Thanks Fusion

PP
Old March 16, 2007   #15
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

PP, we do, but you have to search for them a bit.

I'm only just starting to plant some more varieties of potatoes. They are soooo rewarding to grow yourself.
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote