Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 10, 2011   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Amino Treatments - Are You a Fan?

I've been reading up on Amino supplements to strengthen plant vigor and have found a new product from House and Garden. I'm currently using their Roots Excelurator with pretty good results. Here is the difference in 12 days of growth, which I (partially) attribute to their product:

Their new product is not cheap ($65.00 for a 250ml bottle) but it's description looks promising.

DESCRIPTION:

Amino Treatment is a revolutionary new product containing high quality silica and amino acids that encourages root development, vegetative growth, and fruit and flower production. Amino acids help increase chlorophyll concentration in the plant, leading to a higher degree of photosynthesis. This makes crops lush and green, increasing plant vigor and overall yields.

Amino Treatment contains a balanced complex of ingredients such as small silicate particles that are much smaller than those that you find in normal silicon. Silicon provides greater tolerance of environmental stresses, such as cold, heat, drought, salinity, mineral toxicity or deficiency. Plants incorporate silicon into their cell wall, forming a protective barrier against harmful pathogens and parasites. Increased levels of silicon protect your plants from stress, heat, and disease while providing building blocks that increase the quality and quantity of your harvest.

Adding Amino Treatment provides a better distribution of leaves, a higher ratio of photosynthesis, robust stems, increased root zone activity, higher quality and quantity of fruits and higher sugar content. Incorporate Amino Treatment into your nutrient schedule to produce stronger, healthier plants with massive root systems and increased resistance to pests and disease. Add Amino Treatment with every watering until three weeks before harvest.

So, does anyone have a view on if they consider this supplement a worthwhile expenditure.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2011   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

In order for us to help you decide, I think you need to send us all a sample bottle and we will try it out on the BW Croatias and get back to you. You already have our addresses. Linda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2011   #3
johno
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if it contains micronized silica, but at health food stores you can get a bottle of liquid amino acids that are formulated for humans at abut 1/3 the cost.
Old December 15, 2011   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

johno,

That is an excellent suggestion! From the description, I would think it is heavily based on very small silica particles. The product you recommend at the Health Food store *might* just be a reasonably priced alternative.

Anyone else with Chemistry expertise have a view??

Raybo
Old December 16, 2011   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I've read good things about silicon. Looking at your pictures it must be correct. Ami
Old December 16, 2011   #6
RayR
Tomatovillian™

You can also add diatomaceous earth, which is mostly silica
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2011   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Amino Treatment is composed of amino acids and silica. So I'm listing products that are amino acid based and products that are silica based. You can buy these products separatly and end up with the same ingredients as Amino Treatment at a reduced price.

Amino Acid Based:
Athenas Aminas
Ecklonia Kelp
Humboldt Roots
Organa Add
Poseidonzyme
Soul Synthetics Amino Aide
Super Nova Biostimulant

Silica Based:
Dutch Masters Silica
Humboldt Nutrient Structural Integrity
Pro Silicate
Silica Blast

These products are all listed at the site below with cost. This is one of the most complete listings I have come across concerning these type of products.

http://www.4hydro.com/nutrients/all.asp

Other Items of interest are:
Medusa's Magic
Super Charger
Tomato Maker Fertilizer 4-2-6
XTREME Gardening Azos, Mycos Drops and Mycos Granular

Ami
Old December 16, 2011   #8
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Ami,

Thanks for the link. Lot's of good reading info there on various products.

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Description:

Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt gives your plants higher levels of potassium and silicon to help build strong cell walls.
Soluble silicon has been shown to also enhance metabolic functions and plant growth rates. This is accomplished by balancing nutrient uptake, distribution and transport.

If your plant stems are limp, Pro-TeKt will firm them right up. These stronger cell walls provide a stronger barrier to piercing-sucking insects and invading fungi.

Using Pro-TeKt regularly helps improve photosynthesis while increasing heat and drought tolerance. You'll see an increased chlorophyll concentration in plant leaves too, bringing on improved pollen fertility, fruiting and flowering.

Application Rates:
Soil - use 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon per gallon water
Hydroponics - use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon nutrient solution
Foliar Spray - use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water
Certainly more affordable vs. Amino Treatment - but will it work as well?

Raybo
Old February 24, 2012   #9
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

I got a 250ml bottle tonight at the local hydro store. They were only willing(able do to H&G restrictions?) to give me a 20% discount, which still brought it to ~$65 -- expensive!! I'm not yet sure how I'm going to deploy this liquid adamantium, but I'll be sure to report back my results. I'm also using their roots excelurator product.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2012   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ray, I'm not sure why they say the product increases photosynthesis since the limiting molecule in chlorophyll synthesis is the central prosthetic group of the chlorophyll molecule which is Mg++.

Google indicated to me some of the possible effects of silica on tomato plants but I'm not going to comment on that part of the product.
Old February 25, 2012   #11
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,

Glad to see you up and about, on the keyboard!!

The "buzz" on this (expensive) product is its contents of very fine silica, which the plant reportedly makes good use of. The House and Garden folks in Holland appear to do their research and sell products tested for beneficial results - - well in excess of the purchase price, so let's follow Naysen's experience with this new Amino Elements product.

I am trialing the addition of various various Bat and Seabird Guano additives to the Potting Mix this Season, and we will see if any one of the 3 trialed will prove beneficial. This in addition to the Great White myco plus Actinovate which I will always apply based on past results. I plant out on March 1 this year, so busy time in the garden right now.

Raybo
Old February 25, 2012   #12
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Ray, I'm potting up my first wing of seedlings to 6" today. After they are settled in, I'll try and locate a pair of the same variety (assuming I have any) for the A/B (Amino-IN/Amino-OUT) comparison. The lot of 'em will be seeing a soil drench of Roots Excelurator, Actinovate, Great White, maybe some Actino-Iron (haven't decided), and perhaps a bit of BiotaMax and MycoGrow soluble. The addition of those latter two might be another good A/B comparison point, since I'm not sure they aren't subsets of the other "treatments."

Carolyn, I'll be growing several of the seeds you sent out (big surprise), so they'll be amino'ized too. I'll be looking to update on your results page with my experience. Thanks again for sharing.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote