Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 1, 2012   #1
tedln

Default I planted out today!

I took a chance and planted my forty varieties in the garden today. I planted the seed on December 24. Some of my seedlings are about twenty four inches tall. I planned on planting early last year, but my seedlings were kiiled in a late freeze inside my cold frame. This year, I have a full set of duplicate seedlings which spend the night inside the shop in case the planted seedlings freeze.

I grew a variety of seedling last year which Oneofthearls gave me seed for. He had reported the Harnas variety to be the earliest producer in his garden with good production of medium sized fruit. He said they also tasted good. (I haven't seen Earl on the forum in a long time and I miss his comments) Those seedlings were also killed in the late freeze. I'm trying them again this year and I noticed one of the seedlings already has a tomato on it about 3/4" in diameter. Unfortunately, it is not the seedling I planted. I'm sure I will find a place in the garden for it just to see how early that tomato will ripen.

I think the varieties I anticipate the most are of course the Harnas as well as Hoy, Terhune, Captain Lucky, and Prue. I've read so many good comments on the last four varieties, I can't wait to see how accurate the comments are.

I wish all of you a great and productive gardening season.

Ted
Old March 1, 2012   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ted

Sounds great! I will plant in about 3 weeks. I wrap the sides of the cages with plastic, leaving the top open for ventilation. We have high winds in March/April.
Old March 1, 2012   #3
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Right on! Dont be shy with the updates. I'm about a month away from plant out myself.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2012   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I hope you have protection! Good luck and great job!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2012   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Wow, just noticed your lows, if in theDallas area, are much higher than ours right now. Crazy!
Although, Amarillo is downright chilly tonight.
We have 38 predicted tonight. Hoping to do a bunch of planting this weekend. Warming trend predicted and I start a hard job for the month of March.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2012   #6
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Lucky,
I've got to wait until Memorial Day Weekend.
At least I get to start my seeds in early April. Only a month away.

Good Luck
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2012   #7
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
Ted

Sounds great! I will plant in about 3 weeks. I wrap the sides of the cages with plastic, leaving the top open for ventilation. We have high winds in March/April.
I did the plastic thing last year for the same reason. I found the few plants left to move in the wind developed stronger stems so I am leaving them unprotected this year. I do have a good supply of buckets and pots as well as a good supply of oak leaves to cover my plants if a frost is predicted. My seedlings were killed in a frost or freeze last year when overnight temps were predicted to not go below 40 degrees.

Ted
Old March 1, 2012   #8
eltex

Well, this weekend is the big plant sales here in Austin. Though my garden is mostly full for tomatos, I will scan the aisles of one or two of the sales for anything that strikes my fancy. I picked up a Kellogg's Breakfast plant yesterday. I think I can squeeze in 2, maybe 3 more plants this weekend.

The Sunshine Community Gardens plant sales is supposed to have 150+ varieties, so I think I will hit there first. The Zilker plant sale is always nice too, but I don't know if I am up for the crowds this year. I've never been to the other sale at Johnsons Backyard Garden, so I am kind of interested in how nice that place is.
Old March 2, 2012   #9
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ted-we get up to 50mph winds, so if I dont shelter them, I can lose everything. It makes for a nice semi-greenhouse affect also.