Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 28, 2012   #1
barryla61
Tomatovillian™

Default Seed Bags?

Where can I find the little zip lock bags that some of you use for sharing seeds?
barryla61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking for the same thing. I've got to figure out a way to organize my small seeds.
Also, what's a good container to store the larger seeds in?
Finally, what do folks store and organize their seeds in? Do you remove seeds from the original packets and put them in baggies? Then into a file system or what?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #3
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I got the little ziploc bags on Ebay.
I bought trading card plastic storage sheets at an office store, and put them in a binder that zips closed.
If the packet is small enough, I just put it in the pocket. If it's too big, I re-pack them into the ziploc baggie. My intent would be to put them all in baggies, and make labels, etc. So far, I have been to lazy to complete that project
Old February 28, 2012   #4
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I think most office supply stores like staples or office max. I also know craft stores that have them but if I remember right the office stores were cheaper.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

Walmarts here carry the 2" size 100/$1.99; Michael's carries a variety of smaller and larger sizes but are more expensive than WM- not too bad if you use their "40-50% on one item" coupons and buy one bag a week. I've gone through a lot of bags in the past 2 years, but never bothered buying in bulk online.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I get mine at Hobby Lobby.

They have 2 brands at different places in the store. 1 isn't the cheapest at 100 bags for $1.99. But the other 1 is 300 bags for $3.99.

I recently heard of a mail order place in NY but I mis-filed the link at the moment. Their price on the bags was better but I don't know what the shipping will be. Sometimes the shipping is the price killer.

As for storing the seeds afterwards, many people do use the trading card folders. But if you are saving multiple packets for trading/selling some use the tool type cabinets with 30 or more small drawers.

Personally I have too many larger packs of seeds so I have them in quart baggies in file folders in a large file cabinet. And duplicates in boxes filed by year in an upstairs bedroom. I really need to come up with something better tho.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #7
Sundrops
Tomatovillian™

Uline has every size bag imaginable. My son had a auto restoration retail business and had lots of them left over. I grabbed them when he quit selling retail.
Sundrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #8
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

I also was happy with the selection at uline.com; I have another site
listed in my notes for anyone interested in ordering on line-earthstarproducts.com. The later had a nice selection of plastic plant labels,
too.
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #9
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Crazycoolbuys.com was where I ordered from, 1000 bags for under $10 with free shipping.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #10
dice
Tomatovillian™

Earthstar: http://www.earthstarproducts.shoppin...m/catalog.html
Uline: http://www.uline.com/Product/AdvSear...able+poly+bags
American Science and Surplus: http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/7
Old February 28, 2012   #11
ljp
Tomatovillian™

I get 2"*2" Ziplocs at the dollar store. They are a craft supply item for storing tiny beads.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2012   #12
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

I posted this elsewhere but this is perhaps a more appropriate forum.

For storing my seed collection, I feel I finally found a rather ideal system. If you know a
testing diabetic, ask them to save the testing strip cartons for you. They are black and
about the size of the old Kodak film cannisters. I put a white glue on label with name,
date and source. Harbor Freight carries little compartmentalized clear plastic trays
probably meant for washers, screws, bolts, etc., but just the right size for the testing
cannisters. The advantages are.....the trays are stackable, viewable and the cannisters
have attached but pop open lids and make seed retrieval far, far easier than the zip
lock envelopes. Having struggled with trying to retrieve a couple seeds out of the zip
locks, I can't be more happy with my new system

On a tougher note, testing diabetics go through almost one carton per week (52/yr)
and usually know other diabetics that also test several times a day and they are more
than willing, usually, to save them for a good cause.

If you can find a source or a similar product, I highly recommend the clear plastic trays.
I keep mine stacked in the garage where it is cool. As for larger seeds, I use prescription
bottles and haven't found the perfect case to hold them yet, but I am sure I will. It is so
nice, also, to be able to locate a certain variety's seeds in a matter of seconds as opposed
to flipping pages or paging through a file drawer or innumerable other systems that I
tried. If you can, try this one as a test, at least. I do still use zip-locks for sharing seeds.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote