Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 18, 2016   #31
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd.. View Post
I like to start peppers and tomatoes as early as January & February, respectively, down here in Mississippi.

Same here.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #32
Susan66
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Lisa, I think I can answer this part. Yes, you should find out which categories the person wants to participate in and send seeds in that correspond to those categories.
Lisa - I'm still making up my mind about what categories I want to participate in - I promise I'll make my mind up! Although blacks/ browns for sure . Those are my favorites. But it's hard not to just get greedy when I think about what's available as possibilities! I really appreciate your offer, though. Thank you thank you thank you!
Susan
Susan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #33
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I plan on sending in even more seeds than last year. The lights are on just to take the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0082.JPG (48.1 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0083.JPG (42.9 KB, 321 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #34
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Last year I grew a bunch of blacks which I dearly loved but this year I started a lot of reds. I have at least three in the black/brown category that come to mind but of course I can't say anything further You have plenty of time to make your wish list up. I just picked my first ripe mid season tomato today and it doesn't look like any more will be ripe for a few weeks.

- Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan66 View Post
Lisa - I'm still making up my mind about what categories I want to participate in - I promise I'll make my mind up! Although blacks/ browns for sure . Those are my favorites. But it's hard not to just get greedy when I think about what's available as possibilities! I really appreciate your offer, though. Thank you thank you thank you!
Susan
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2016   #35
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I'm planning on sending some hopefully interesting varieties too, - depending on the wish list.

Did add my requests on the google doc yesterday, it worked surprisingly well... ! Updated and saved the changes automatically.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2016   #36
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I am thrilled to see so many stepping up to Sponsor others this year. We already have Sponsor's and the Swap has not ever started yet. It makes my heart glad!
Old July 19, 2016   #37
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I would like to sponsor someone, if I knew what varieties are needed / wanted for that.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2016   #38
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Do I need a sponsor if I send seeds in? I'm confused, someone explain it to me or give me a link to the rules.
Old July 19, 2016   #39
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Do I need a sponsor if I send seeds in? I'm confused, someone explain it to me or give me a link to the rules.

Sponsors are people who offer to send seeds on behalf of someone who doesn't have the seeds needed to participate. If you have enough of your own seeds to send in, then you're all set!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2016   #40
HappyGardener23
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No, you do not. Sponsors are for people who wish to participate but for whatever reason (usually because they are newer to gardening/seed saving) do not have seeds of their own to send in to the swap.

Non-sponsored participants send in seeds as per the instructions (and sometimes send in extra "bonus" seed as well that gets distributed among participants).
HappyGardener23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2016   #41
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, depending on how the rest of the season goes I may be able to sponsor someone too. I should be good from the looks of things.
Old July 19, 2016   #42
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks, depending on how the rest of the season goes I may be able to sponsor someone too. I should be good from the looks of things.
I resemble this comment.

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2016   #43
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I can't give you a link.
Because, as others who've participated in the past know , there really aren't any rules.

So, relax and enjoy the ride. (I hope you like roller coasters)
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2016   #44
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

There will be 6 (not 5) categories for peppers...

Mild
Hot
SUPERHOT

Sweet
Paprika
Ornamental

On the google doc wish list, participants can list 5 (or so) peppers. Peppers are much more difficult to fulfill on wish lists. So, there will be the MMMM Spoiler Alert listing, for those that want to choose from what should be coming in.

Once someone is ready to list either their tomatoes or peppers (or veggie/fruit/flower seed too), I'll start that MMMM SA thread.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2016   #45
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Could there be an Italian sweet pepper category or non bell sweet pepper category?

-Zach