Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 21, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Whipper Snapper

On the porch there are four Whipper Snapper dwarf cherry tomatoes received from Farmer Shawn's Carolyn seeds and they're coming right along. All are blooming and two are setting little tomatoes. Hooray!

After reading here about the electric toothbrush method of pollinating flowers, I got a cheapie and the method seems to be working.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2020   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

That is so pretty. Lots of blooms too. Did you prune it or is it naturally thin/sparse leaves? Please report back on the taste.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2020   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I have pinched out just one or two side shoots.
Old March 24, 2020   #4
clara
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Whippersnapper a lot of times. Don't prune it! But give it a larger pot - the more tomatoes you will get. The large pot in your pic is okay, but the three smaller ones, no... The pots should be high enough so that the plant can tumble a bit.

BTW my eldest granddaughter likes Whippersnapper best when the tomatoes are still pink, fully ripe the tomatoes are red.
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2020   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the advice! I won't pinch out any more.

So I take it I shouldn't stake the plants but let them kind of fall over?
Old March 27, 2020   #6
clara
Tomatovillian™

I've never staked them. Please feed them regularly, then you'll have more tomatoes than leaves, lol! One more advantage of this variety: It is always the earliest or one of the earliest tomatoes in my garden. One big pot is always placed on a small wall between the terrace and the garden - impossible not to snack some fruits when you pass by...
Old March 28, 2020   #7
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I grew this back in the 70's from Johnny's seeds. It was pink and never red from those seeds, forming a tidy little mound with lots of fairly tart, small cherries (IIRC). Let us know what you think of them when you get fruit.

Edit: The more I look at your pictures, the more I wonder if this is the same variety I grew. It could be just "stretching," but mine were much more "micro-ish" than those in the photos. Mine looked like a little "bush" of tomatoes. But they were grown in the ground, so that might account for some differences, also.

Last edited by Greatgardens; March 29, 2020 at 09:25 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2020   #8
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Just let them tumble, I have grown them every year since 2001 in large hanging baskets. They should be pink by the way, not red . I grow a tumbling red and a tumbling yellow to go with them, each in their own baskets.

I would give them a bigger pot though. and raise it from the ground at least 2 feet if you can

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2020   #9
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
The more I look at your pictures, the more I wonder if this is the same variety I grew. It could be just "stretching," but mine were much more "micro-ish" than those in the photos. Mine looked like a little "bush" of tomatoes. But they were grown in the ground, so that might account for some differences, also.
These seeds came from the list of Carolyn seeds that Farmer Shawn was sending out. On the spreadsheet they were listed as 'Dreikäsehoch' and when I asked in here if anyone knew anything about this variety, someone replied that they were actually 'Whippersnapper'. Perhaps they are different from what you grew.

All four plants were grown together, receiving the same light, etc. They are all slightly different (as one would expect from OPs) with one of the four showing a possibly more mounded habit than the other three.

Old March 29, 2020   #10
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Just let them tumble, I have grown them every year since 2001 in large hanging baskets. They should be pink by the way, not red . I grow a tumbling red and a tumbling yellow to go with them, each in their own baskets.

I would give them a bigger pot though. and raise it from the ground at least 2 feet if you can

XX Jeannine
Thanks for that. Here's what they look like now. The second one from the left is Red Robin. I did remove the stake after taking the pic.

Old March 29, 2020   #11
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara View Post
I've never staked them. Please feed them regularly, then you'll have more tomatoes than leaves, lol! One more advantage of this variety: It is always the earliest or one of the earliest tomatoes in my garden. One big pot is always placed on a small wall between the terrace and the garden - impossible not to snack some fruits when you pass by...
They're a bit off color after up-potting but are getting fed. I'm looking forward to snacking!
Old March 29, 2020   #12
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Good for you, they are a great little snacker, and grow much like the hybrid Tumbler. I originally got my first seeds when I moved back to the UK in 2000, a neighbour grew them,a I did it once and was hooked. I have kept them every since. I was surprised there was little about them here when I came back in 2009,.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020   #13
clara
Tomatovillian™

As to the color: They are definitely pink when not fully ripe, but the ripe color - to me - is looking like red. I never checked the epidermis because I don't care if I eat a pink or a red tomato as long as I like this variety.
Old April 1, 2020   #14
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Heritage has some pretty good photos of the Whipper Snapper as I remember it. Note their description of "pink to nearly red."

https://heritageseedmarket.com/index...hippersnapper/

Last edited by Greatgardens; April 1, 2020 at 06:47 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote