Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 11, 2018   #16
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Here's a shot of 6X4-2-3A-OP on the left, and 6X5-2-OP on the right. They are all sweet and tasty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cream of the Crop 6X4 2 3A OP AND 6X5 2 OP.jpg (390.5 KB, 377 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #17
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the photos, Salsacharley!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #18
natural
Tomatovillian™

I grew E-33 and 6x20 and 6x4.

6x20 looked exactly like E-33. I grew 6 plants of each so not a mix up on my part.

They all performed well for me. I wish I had received the true 6x20.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2020   #19
ClarkB
Tomatovillian™

Reviving this old thread as I haven't found much info on the now named Cream of the Crop varieties and am considering trying several of them next year. Red Torch F1, Bronze Torch F1, Prairie Fire, Sparky XSL F1, Pink Champagne, and Tropical Sunset all look interesting to me as I really enjoy sweet/fruity larger cherry or elongated types sliced in half with a bit of salt and pepper - current favorites for that use include Black Cherry, Sweet Cream, and Blush. Looks like AAS judges preferred Red Torch over Maglia Rose and Pink Tiger, and Sparky bested Pink Bumble Bee, Chocolate Sprinkles, and Red Zebra in their view. If you've tried them, any input on plant sizes, yields, flavor profiles etc. would be appreciated.
ClarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2020   #20
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Maglia Rosa, Pink Tiger and Pink Bumblebee were never submitted to AAS judges.

That doesn't mean that Red Torch isn't better, it just means that they were not compared head by AAS judges.
Old September 14, 2020   #21
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Although some of them may have been included as controls. But that seems unclear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Maglia Rosa, Pink Tiger and Pink Bumblebee were never submitted to AAS judges.

That doesn't mean that Red Torch isn't better, it just means that they were not compared head by AAS judges.
Old September 14, 2020   #22
ClarkB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Although some of them may have been included as controls. But that seems unclear.
I agree, they may have just been mentioned as varieties that have similar traits rather than ones grown together with the submissions for direct comparison. My apologies for possibly incorrectly connecting the dots.
ClarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2021   #23
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone grown any of these Cream of the Crop varieties?

I'm particularly interested in any taste reviews on Tropical Sunset.

Thanks,
Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2021   #24
MapleTree
Tomatovillian™

I grew Tropical Sunset. It's a nice cherry and produced well. I actually trialed it next to Sunrise Bumblebee and decided I like Tropical Sunset better. They're both good tomatoes, but Tropical Sunset is a bit bigger and easier to pull off the plant. It seems like we had to tug quite a bit to get the Sunrise Bumblebee off and that often caused the top of the tomato to crack. That's fine if you're eating them right away, but when we're taking them to friends or saving them for a couple of days we tend to use the Tropical Sunset. Both have a similar sweet flavor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210630_162922170_HDR.jpg (174.6 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210804_105100518_HDR.jpg (170.0 KB, 174 views)
MapleTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2021   #25
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Mapletree, thank you SO much for the review! I'm happy that Tropical Sunset grew well for you and that you liked the flavour. I'm looking forward to growing it next year .

Linda
Old October 6, 2021   #26
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default More on Cream of the Crop Tomatoes

I'm the breeder for Cream of the Crop Tomatoes. Although I've long enjoyed Tomatoville, I'm not a frequent visitor, so I missed this thread. First of all, it is good to hear that some of you have had good experience with our varieties. Of our OP varieties my favorites are probably Apricot Zebra and Pink Champagne. Aaron and I are true believers in the AAS evaluation process. It allows for a rigorous evaluation over multiple locations by various expert growers. On the AAS application you must identify several appropriate check varieties that are similar to the applicant variety. The folks at AAS may accept those, and/or may add others they think are appropriate. Our Red Torch F1 was a AAS National winner, and along with Bronze Torch F1 has won several regional competitions. Both are extremely productive, early and have great flavor. We have a couple of new AAS winners that will be announced very soon - both are the result of using molecular markers to incorporate multiple disease resistance genes into flavorful heirloom-derived parent lines.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2021   #27
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Fantastic news!
Old August 19, 2022   #28
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I grew Prairie Fire this season and it's very tasty! It's great that it's compact too .

Linda