Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2015   #1
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Default Feedback Request - Tokita Cherries

Last night I discovered Seeds ‘n Such and noticed they are carrying a group of Tokita cherries that appear to be interesting trials for me next summer. I am hoping you can provide feedback on the following:

1. Suncherry Extra Sweet F1
2. Suncherry RB F1
3. Sunchocola F1
4. Sungreen F1
5. Tomatoberry Garden F1

Thank you.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #2
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I'd love to try some of their hybrids, however, I am not convinced that the high price is justified by the taste... (only 5 seeds per packet in some cases)
With several OP and hybrid varieties, I think I am well provided for and should contain myself for the next decade or so...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I'd love to try some of their hybrids, however, I am not convinced that the high price is justified by the taste... (only 5 seeds per packet in some cases)
With several OP and hybrid varieties, I think I am well provided for and should contain myself for the next decade or so...
exactly.
Old June 20, 2015   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Last night I discovered Seeds ‘n Such and noticed they are carrying a group of Tokita cherries that appear to be interesting trials for me next summer. I am hoping you can provide feedback on the following:

1. Suncherry Extra Sweet F1
2. Suncherry RB F1
3. Sunchocola F1
4. Sungreen F1
5. Tomatoberry Garden F1

Thank you.
I knew I'd seen others who had already grown most of what you ask about so did a simple search here and came up with the following search link which should help.

http://tomatoville.com/search.php?searchid=2019450

That should help.

Carolyn
Old June 20, 2015   #5
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I knew I'd seen others who had already grown most of what you ask about so did a simple search here and came up with the following search link which should help.

http://tomatoville.com/search.php?searchid=2019450

That should help.

Carolyn
Thank you Carolyn, that does help :-) I'll think "search first" next time...

Keep well,

rg
Old June 21, 2015   #6
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoberry Garden F1 is probably one of the most popular tomatoes in the Czech Republic. I grew them in 2013. The high harvest of tasty tomatoes in a heart shape. The price is not so high (1 Euro for five seeds). I have friends who will plant two seeds in January and multiply ten or more plants by cloning to the beginning of the season. I grow in 2016 as well.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #7
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Tomatoberry Garden F1 is probably one of the most popular tomatoes in the Czech Republic. I grew them in 2013. The high harvest of tasty tomatoes in a heart shape. The price is not so high (1 Euro for five seeds). I have friends who will plant two seeds in January and multiply ten or more plants by cloning to the beginning of the season. I will also grow in 2016 .
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #8
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I don't know why I cannot open the link from Carolyn. So I don't know what was on it, but I have grown Suncherry, Sungreen and Tomatoberry Garden.
I was not impressed with any of them, they were "okay", not wow or great.
The Suncherry was hyped to be the red version of Sun Gold but it was not.
Sungreen did not produce well for me and also succumbed to disease quite early.
I think I got my Tomatoberry seed at Johnny's. You might want to do some price checking there too. A few times a year you might find online coupons for free shipping there too.
This is not to discourage you from trying them but just my personal feedback.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #9
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, I saw this about Sungreen http://www.freshplaza.com/article/92...nated-for-FLIA
The long truss looks alluring but with the many green cherries available I am not sure I'd pay for it.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #10
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoberry is a very productive plant, with larger than normal fruit, strawberry shaped. Good strong taste, very thin skin (like, really), no splitting, beautiful color, shape and shiny too.
It is a non-sweet tomato (it does have some sweetness but it's definitely less than most hybrid cherry/grapes I tried). Quite meaty unfortunately, more of a grape tomato. First fruits oddly have a different taste than later, and not very good.
Plant is tall, good grower, not quite as vigurous as sungold but has larger leaves, very long and horizontal, so the plant takes some space. 25-40 fruits per truss (up to about 1 oz each).

Suncherry premium is neat plant, very compact, short internodes, also productive but not quite as vigurous. Doesn't split much, slightly flattened cherrys, very shiny. 30-50 fruits per truss, sungold size. The taste I thought was fabulous in the beginning of the season, with classic strong tomato taste, but quickly it got overpowered by sweetness later, I didn't like them much in the autumn.

I have not grown Sungreen but I've heard is quite prone to splitting.

Sungrape is a great grape tomato, with small fuit (smaller than normal,), great strong taste with plenty of acidity. For me it was a poor producer however, on ridiculously tall, vining plants.

Pics: first is Tomatoberry, second Suncherry premium.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tb1.jpg (510.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg sc1.jpg (454.4 KB, 58 views)
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #11
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for your responses which I found helpful. Zipcode, thank you for posting the excellent pictures.