Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old January 2, 2012   #1
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

Default Rabbit manure

I was just looking on craigs list and there is a person who is selling rabbit manure for 4$for 50 lbs. He said he puts lime on it to keep it from smelling. Is this usable on my garden?
Thanks in advance
Bruce
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2012   #2
strax
Tomatovillian™

rabbit manure is awesome! it wont burn, so you can use it straight.

there is a yahoo group, which can help you find rabbit manure for free.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bunnypowerforgardens/
strax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2012   #3
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

thanks man i'll check it out .. free is right up my alley
Old January 3, 2012   #4
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

The manure should be great. The lime? I can't say. It's probably harmless, but I really have no idea.
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2012   #5
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog55 View Post
I was just looking on craigs list and there is a person who is selling rabbit manure for 4$for 50 lbs. Is this usable on my garden?
Yes it is. Limestone to supress odor is old-school but harmless.
Old January 6, 2012   #6
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

I went by and got this maure tonight. It was from an AG teacher at a local school. I got around 90 gallons of manure for 5 $. It did have lime on it for odor and some wood chips and hay he put under the cages. I hope this rabbit manure. is as good as I've heard. I'll turn it into the soil tomarrow . Its 65degrees here in kc mo right now. Thats unreal for this time of yr.
Old January 7, 2012   #7
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

I grow worms under my rabbit cages and when worms get scarce i put remaining poo directly on tomatoes with horse manure and rotting hay
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2012   #8
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

I'm hoping the wood chip litter they used won't be a problem.. To late its in the ground and turned under.. ..lmao Love the avitar Gizzardfarm
Old January 7, 2012   #9
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

thankee augie self portrait lol
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2012   #10
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Strax- thanks so much for the link! Hubs and I just got back from a fellow's house about an hour away, and brought back a 4x7 trailer heaped two feet deep with rabbit poo! It's going to go on my raised beds to enrich them for next season
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2012   #11
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

That's Awesome, lurley! I just got a permission to pick up 100 lbs Wednesday and about 400 lbs a week from now on. How much do I need for two, fifty foot rows of tomatoes?

Anyone near Austin need a bunny poo contact, let me know.
Old January 10, 2012   #12
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

I think I impressed my neighbor and my son yesterday. My son pulled in the drive to see me meesing wioth rabbit manure. It was 50 degrees here in kc yesterday and I spent an hr out in the drive way with a 4x4 sheet of plywood at a 30degree angle and a dust pan seperating rabbit manure from wood shavings while sitting on a milk crate.lmao. It worked great . It turns out I was getting 50% shaving to manure. I ended up with 18 gallons of clean manure. In another month I'll get twice that again. I have to give 5$ for 90lbs. Not to bad.
Old January 10, 2012   #13
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Don't fret about the high carbon wood chips in manure.

Wood chips are OM they'll rot too.
Old January 16, 2012   #14
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

I have a question about the manure I picked up. It's from a bunny rescue place. They are a non-profit, donation funded place who rescues rabbits that have been purchased at a pet store and abandoned.

Either way, the stuff I got is about 60% saw dust, 30% manure and 10% straw. I say straw, but it looks like freshly cut field grass as it's still green and actually got hot in my compost pile. The thing I'm worried about is this stuff is all soaked in urine. It smells like that old lady's house that owns 10 cats (strong ammonia odor). I had hoped to put this stuff down for this year, but unless I can find a way to separate the poo from the pee soaked sawdust and seed laden straw, I might have to let it sit a year and compost with my leaves and grass clippings.

Is pee soaked sawdust a problem? If so, when will it be safe to use? I'm two and a half months from planting out, but I would like to have all this in the beds this week before I dump my Christmas Tree mulch on top of it all. (This city of Austin takes all the Christmas trees, shreds them up and gives them away. I usually pick up a few pick-up truck loads. It will be ready Wednesday, meaning I'll pick it up next weekend.)

Also, any suggestions for separating this stuff? The rules are, 1) The budget is gone, so it will have to be with materials I have on hand. Materials include a water hose, 5 gallon buckets and an 18 gallon storage bin.

If I had funds, I would get chicken wire and some wire fencing with quarter-inch square holes. Make screens with both types of fencing by sandwiching the screen in a wood frame about the size of a wheel barrel. You make 2 squares with wood boards and screw them together with the screen between them. The larger one, chicken wire size will allow the saw dust and poo to fall through, but will catch most of the straw. Put the straw back on the compost pile. The smaller screen will allow the saw dust to fall through, but will catch the poo. Put the sawdust back in the compost pile and poo in the garden. (I got the idea from a guy who used this system to get the big pieces out of his compost. I just doubled it for two different sized screens for the two materials I want to separate from the target)

Last edited by ArcherB; January 16, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old January 16, 2012   #15
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

If you just want to seperate the rabbit crap from the rest of the material there is an easy way. Get a 4x4 sheet of ply would or anything like that at get in at about a 30 degree angle. I did it on a small wall in the driveway. Put a sheet of plastic at the base to catch the crap. Take a dust pan or small shovel and put scoop of the mixture and let it fall off the shovel onto the top of the board. the round rabbit crap will roll down the hill and the wood, and other debree will stay at the top. each scoop you will have to repeat a couple times until un no crap is left shavings. Remove shavings and start will another scoop until no crap is left. Rabbit crap will roll down hill. Once I got going it going went really quick. Its and old hippy trick I learned along time ago to seperate things but on a larger scale with rabbit crap..