Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old April 7, 2013   #61
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by delltraveller View Post
You forgot to mention the rabbits, Kath. Rabbits love those yummy pea plants starting to grow, so if you don't have a canine or feline with a strong prey drive to keep them on the run, you'll want to provide some protection. Around here 24" high chicken wire does the trick. Make sure the bottom edge is pinned to the ground or buried slightly or they'll slip underneath.
And chickens. My darn chickens got out and ate everyone of my pea seeds from my first planting. Had to replant.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2013   #62
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

My peas are nearing end of life, getting a bit starchy and bitter. The plants have a small amount of powdery mildew. I have a bunch of peas left. Any hints on preparing them to make them taste better? I was thinking maybe boiling with some sugar or something?
Old April 7, 2013   #63
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
My peas are nearing end of life, getting a bit starchy and bitter. The plants have a small amount of powdery mildew. I have a bunch of peas left. Any hints on preparing them to make them taste better? I was thinking maybe boiling with some sugar or something?
If they've matured too much you could try making soup with them- would taste fresher than split pea.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2013   #64
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
My peas are nearing end of life
And mine were just planted this morning.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2013   #65
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
And mine were just planted this morning.
AZ has crazy gardening seasons. No hope of having a "real" salad or salsa all in one season because cilantro and lettuce are a different time of year from tomatoes. The hardest part of gardening here, IMO, is figuring out when things need to be planted.
Kath, I'll give the soup a try tonight!
Old April 7, 2013   #66
tam91
Tomatovillian™

The nice man who gives me the garden says he likes peas, but I was unable to figure out if he meant sugar snap or shelling peas. I personally like sugar snaps - just wondered - CAN you shell them? He says he likes to eat them right out of the garden, so I don't think he intends to shell a bunch and cook them.
Old April 7, 2013   #67
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
The nice man who gives me the garden says he likes peas, but I was unable to figure out if he meant sugar snap or shelling peas. I personally like sugar snaps - just wondered - CAN you shell them? He says he likes to eat them right out of the garden, so I don't think he intends to shell a bunch and cook them.
Shelling peas are sweet and delicious shelled in the garden and eaten raw but sugar snap peas can also be eaten the same way- but they're usually harder to shell.
Old April 8, 2013   #68
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Hmm I will have to try to extricate just what he wants, and maybe look for some shelling pea seeds at the nursery. I hope he just likes sugar snaps.
Old April 8, 2013   #69
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Because the shelling pea season is so short, I grow Lincoln peas for my main crop, because no other variety I have tried freezes as well, and I've tried a bunch, including many of the varieties mentioned in this thread. I do grow several other varieties each year in an attempt to extend the season (Coral for extra-early, for example) and, like someone else here has said, the original Sugar Snap beats all other similar varieties, especially for fresh eating out of hand. But my Lincolns can't be beat for freezer fodder. Our pea-season tradition: We pick a bucket or two in the very late afternoon, and spend the evening in front of the boob tube shelling and watching some mindless entertainment. It only takes a few minutes after they are shelled to blanch 'em and bag 'em for the freezer, and boy do we love them in the winter!
Old April 8, 2013   #70
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying Sugar Snap and Super Sugar Snap side by side this year, it should be an interesting comparison.
Old April 8, 2013   #71
tam91
Tomatovillian™

So... votes for the best tasting (right out of the garden) shelling peas?
Old April 8, 2013   #72
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks. Hmm I will have to try to extricate just what he wants, and maybe look for some shelling pea seeds at the nursery. I hope he just likes sugar snaps.
He may wind up liking them even better, if he's never tried them. DH found that he prefers them, although he doesn't like either raw.
Old April 8, 2013   #73
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
So... votes for the best tasting (right out of the garden) shelling peas?
We've tried a couple dozen so far and Penelope and Premium have been recent winners in our garden for raw and cooked flavor as well as productivity. This year they'll be trialed against one another along with 3 new ones- Serge, Canoe and Sienna. I'm hoping this will be the last of the pea trials- at least until they discontinue my favorite or I can leave enough on the vine to save my own seed.
Old April 8, 2013   #74
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

Lincoln has always been my fsvorite but this year im growing alderman which im hoping will surpassitin taste
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #75
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Figured out my guy wants old fashioned peas. He has never had sugar snaps though, he doesn't know what they are, so I'm hoping to convert him I will plant both.

Not sure if I have time to order Lincoln or something, but I'll see.

Next question - yield? He wants to snack on the things, and occasionally shell enough peas for dinner, I'd think for a few people. How long of a row do I probably need? I was planning to plant on both sides of a trellis made of pea netting.