Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 5, 2018   #16
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
Nicolas, How do you eat the Cuban Black tomato? Many people eat tomatoes as BLT's or put them with cheese or chopped up on salads and so on.

I was just curious if you eat them like the hanging tomatoes or what not...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulrkSU_nLhQ&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBfmhJy0RqA

Al
Andalusian gazpacho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbE_DT8PGpE

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #17
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

https://youtu.be/3HN57Xx3TTM , https://youtu.be/Yn-CUJ5_5nQ

Nico.
Old March 5, 2018   #18
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Very serious about tomatoes in Spain that must be a world record length they all worked on together.
Visiting your beautiful country is on my dream list
Very interesting videos
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasGarcia View Post
Yes, for me the best I've tasted without doubt, in Spain is very typical tomato kumato but I have my doubts about whether it is hybrid, it is also a very good tomato, but the cuban black for me is the best so far. However I have not seen his fame in tomatoville and I was really surprised ...
Here's some information about hybrid or not.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Orig...&bih=815&dpr=1

The original Kumato was called Negro de Olmeda in Spain, I have seeds for it from Ilex/Paco in Spain for it but not enough to send to anyone.

So how did it get from being Negro de Olmeda and from not being a hybrid, well that's in the links above, Syngenta was involved, and how did it get to be named Rossa Bruno in Canada and the US, that's also in the link above as well.

Other good info in the link above is from Terry, of the Secret Seed Cartel site. Not the one now, but her former one from years ago.

Hope the above helps,

Carolyn
Old March 5, 2018   #20
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

HELLO! I have never had the black tomato of olmeda, I have read a lot about the kumato tomato, some say it is a hybrid and many say it is not, the truth that I have been cultivating it for four years and it seems that it is not a hybrid, tomatoes are very even and a plant super resistant to diseases, perhaps it is the seed company policy that creates confusion so that nobody can do business with them, the truth is that I do not know. In Spain there are enough black tomatoes, but perhaps they are baptized by people without really knowing what their origin is and more knowing that black tomatoes are modern tomatoes

Nico.
Old March 5, 2018   #21
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

In Spain, rather people have seeds of local farmers, who keep the seeds year after year of several generations, there are few records and there are many seeds, I think too many that go around without really knowing their real origin, and there are many big pink tomatoes that are very similar that only vary from one area to another, that vary in flavor and a little in shape, forgive my English

Nico.
Old March 5, 2018   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Very serious about tomatoes in Spain that must be a world record length they all worked on together.
Visiting your beautiful country is on my dream list
Very interesting videos
KarenO
Karen, I've been lucky enough to have visited Spain twice and indeed it's a beautiful country with different climates, from hot and dry in the south to intermediate on the border with Portugal to the wine country and cold and snowy in the north near the mountains.

It may surprise some that the winter scenes for the movie Dr. Zhivago with Omar Sharriff and Julie Christie were filmed in the north.

So the first time I visited I was coming from the south of France and I remember we all had to get off the train since the railroad tracks in Spain were very narrow so we had to switch to Spanish trains.

The second time I was there was when I flew from Kennedy airport near NYCity to Lisbon Portugal and entered Spain that way and is it even more sites going south until I got myself across the Gibralter straits into Morroco.

The other Global Mod here is Michael and he and his wife also visited Portugal and Spain and he showed some of his wonderful pictures ,not publicly , but privately and I'd say oh I've been there did you visit-------, etc.

Too bad that when I had to retire I couldn't continue to travel to the many countries again,where I'd been before but also many new ones. Many of my trips were associated with my love of archaeology and history such as the ones to Spain,Israel, Greece, France,England, Turkey etc.

I have a very active dream life and sometimes in bed trying to go to sleep I can actually picture places I've been between the twilight zone of being half awake to being completely asleep.

Carolyn, who wishes your dream comes true and you can get to Spain, and why not visit Portugal on the same trip?
Old March 5, 2018   #23
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

The tomato Kumato, also called black tomato, is a tomato of culture, fruit of the investigation and mix of different varieties using traditional and natural methods and is not considered a transgenic tomato. [Citation needed] It differs mainly from other varieties for its color dark green almost black, its sweet and intense flavor and its rounded shape.

Another property of this type of tomatoes is that they ripen from the inside, so that their outer flesh remains more crispy even at maturity, this makes them perfect for cutting into thin slices or into larger pieces for salads.

Their ideal point of maturation is when they adopt a reddish brown color and green tones around the stem. It can be tasted simply seasoned with oil and salt, in salad or else replacing any other tomato variety in recipes of all kinds, such as gazpacho to which it is not necessary to add vinegar, due to the acidity provided by the tomato.

Currently given its low demand, mainly because of ignorance of this variety, makes its price sometimes high. In Europe it is marketed by Syngenta (the main supplier of transgenics in Europe), which grows them in Spain, Mexico, France, Belgium and Switzerland. In Spain they are grown mainly in the province of Almeria and in the Region of Murcia.

Nico.
Old March 5, 2018   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The tomato Kumato, also called black tomato, is a tomato of culture, fruit of the investigation and mix of different varieties using traditional and natural methods and is not considered a transgenic tomato. [Citation needed] It differs mainly from other varieties for its color dark green almost black, its sweet and intense flavor and its rounded shape.

Another property of this type of tomatoes is that they ripen from the inside, so that their outer flesh remains more crispy even at maturity, this makes them perfect for cutting into thin slices or into larger pieces for salads.

Their ideal point of maturation is when they adopt a reddish brown color and green tones around the stem. It can be tasted simply seasoned with oil and salt, in salad or else replacing any other tomato variety in recipes of all kinds, such as gazpacho to which it is not necessary to add vinegar, due to the acidity provided by the tomato.

Currently given its low demand, mainly because of ignorance of this variety, makes its price sometimes high. In Europe it is marketed by Syngenta (the main supplier of transgenics in Europe), which grows them in Spain, Mexico, France, Belgium and Switzerland. In Spain they are grown mainly in the province of Almeria and in the Region of Murcia.
Yes indeed and your info is from a Wiki article,almost the same information I posted in I think post # 26 above and discussed which ones in that Google search to read.

Many years ago Craig , nctomatoman here, and I said that while the blacks were then the major fad,that we thought the next fad would be the Green when ripe ones, and that happened, but there's been a continuing interest in the blacks as well or shall I say a new emergence of interest..

Carolyn
Old March 7, 2018   #25
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Question about Lycopene. Is it stable and present in canned tomato products or just on fresh fruits ?
Thanks on advance.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #26
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
HELLO! I have read a lot about the kumato tomato, some say it is a hybrid and many say it is not, the truth that I have been cultivating it for four years and it seems that it is not a hybrid, tomatoes are very even and a plant super resistant to diseases, perhaps it is the seed company policy that creates confusion so that nobody can do business with them, the truth is that I do not know.
The kumato sold in supermarkets around here is definitely not stable. The results don't vary a lot, but they do vary, some plants giving more beefsteak looking tomatoes, others rounder and smaller.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #27
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

The kumatos is expensive here at Hannafords. Package contains 5 fruits. All perfectly uniform. I like that they ripen over time and so avoid spoilage. The flavor is better than most of the other winter tomatos in the grocery store.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #28
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Question about Lycopene. Is it stable and present in canned tomato products or just on fresh fruits ?
Thanks on advance.
All I have read says that usable lycopene is increased with cooking and vit C is reduced. Cherries have more lycopene than large tomatoes.

I want to know how much of the lycopene is contained in the skin and how much in the flesh. I'd like to get rid of the skins but not if they contain the vitamins. Also, would the lycopene be released into the cooked tomatoes during cooking?
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #29
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Thanks on advance.
Lycopene is a fat-soluble pigment than can scavenge free radical oxygen from the air- so cooking with it may result in reduced levels in the food that you eat. It is completely insoluble in water, so you won't find much in the juice of the tomato, but mostly in the skin. The fat solubility is one of the reasons why our Tupperware containers that contain spaghetti sauce or other lycopene-rich foods stain so badly in the microwave- the pigments are extracted out of the sauce and dissolve in the polypropylene container walls.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote